Old February 29th 08, 06:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Guilherme

Default 40GB Disappeared

Hello Colin,

I have diskeeper. It shows area C: with the size I wrote before and 3% free
Also ServiceV002 with 6GB ... the lenovo thinkpad area

But doesn't show the other partitions related to linux.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

Download a trial copy of Diskeeper and run an Analysis. It will show you
how files are distributed on the drive, including areas reserved for NTFS.

"Guilherme" wrote in message
Sorry, but I didn't understand... so, how can i check them?

"Curious" wrote:

AFAIK the space used by restore points and by the Vista indexing files
do
not show up as part of your Partitions.
"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote in message
Did you run a Disk Cleanup? (Start, Programs, Accessories, System
Tools)
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

"Guilherme" wrote in message
Hello,
I have a very strange problem!
I have a lenovo T60 laptop, with windows vista business and also a
partition
for Linux. My harddisk has 120GB and I left 85.2GB for windows
(partition
C)
. However, my free disk area was getting smaller without installing
softwares
or saving personal data. I initially thought this was windows updates
or
the
system restore disk. So I made it very small, and the problem
continued.
Now,
I have only 3GB free!
Now comes the strange part!
1) When I select all files in C (including system files and hidden
files)
and go to properties, it shows only 37GB of size.
2) I have then used SequoiaView to try to find possible large files
that
are
using the rest of the partition… strangely, it graphically displays
only
the
37GB with 2GBfree and at the same time says that the partition has
85GB.
3) So I went to properties of sequoia and it displays:
Location C:\
Size: 81,6GB (41.630.603.089bytes)
Free: 3,68GB (3.954.462.720bytes)
Showing: All files
Now, we see there is a discrepancy of 40GB in the counting size.
4) I have run several tests to verify the hard disk. None pointed to
any
problem! Accordong to them, my harddisk is “perfect”.
5) Also have run updated anti-virus softwares and no virus was found.
(perhaps some virus was cousing such behaviour).

Any suggestion how to solve this problem?

Next option I see is to reinstall windows vista. How can I do this
without
losing the linux partition?
Many thanks in advance

Guilherme