USB mass Storage Devices Not working

Old March 4th 08, 05:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kryznica

Default USB mass Storage Devices Not working

"Davis" wrote:

Hey all,

I realise this is an older thread, but I found a solution after several
hours searching the net.

I am currently running Vista Home Premium, 2GB Ram, etc...

I was unable to use USB Flash Drives, as when vista tried to install
the drivers, it would come up with an error similar to: cannot find the
file specified.

To fix this and install the drivers, I had to do the following:
1. Open Windows Explorer, then go to the following address line:
C:\Windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log...double click
2. This should open up Notepad..or equivelant.
3. Go to the bottom of the log and press Ctrl + F, and search upward
for 'cannot find the file specified'
4. I few lines above that you should see 'SourceFile - [-FileName-]'
and just above that 'SourcePath - [-Path-]. You will find that if you
go to that path, the specified file will not be there.
5. If you then go to C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\
and find the specified file...copy it and paste into C:\Windows\inf
6. When you try to install the drivers again, (using device manager -
reinstall drivers) direct the wizard to C:\Windows\inf and make sure
'include subfolders' is checked, and it should say drivers have been
installed.

Hope this helps

--
Davis

hey Davis
I'm having some trouble finding which one of the "cannot find the file
specified"
section you are talking about
can you get in more specifics in which files to use

Old March 5th 08, 03:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Davis

kryznica,

If you get the USB Drive to attempt to install, and then follow the
steps i outlined, it should be the last entry in the log...eg, scroll
to the bottom of the log, click on the last line, the press Ctrl + f
and proceed as I previously said, it should be the first one that is
found.

It should look like the following

-ndv: {Update Driver Software Wizard for
STORAGE\VOLUME\1&19F7E59C&0&_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_C ORSAIR&PROD_FLASH_VOYAGER&REV_1100#AA2310000000004 2&0#{53F56307-B6BF-11D0-94F2-00A0C91EFB8B}}
inf: {SetupCopyOEMInf: *C:\Windows\INF\volume.inf*}
22:05:01.618
inf: {SetupCopyOEMInf exit (0x00000002)} 22:05:01.637
!!! ndv: Driver Package import failed for new device...installing
NULL driver.
!!! ndv: Error 2: The system *cannot find the file specified.*-

I have highlighted the directory of the file that you need to be
looking for. Obviously this file isn't actually there, so you will need
to find that file in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\
Hope this helps,

I just realised that you may have been asking a different
question....If you are having trouble finding where to find the log,
just search for setupapi.dev, it may not have the .log after it, just
double click on it, scroll to the bottom, and the continue as specified

Thanks

-

Old March 19th 08, 03:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom

Davis,

I'm a different user who had the exact same problem. I've been searching
through posts and forums for a week now, and I wanted to thank you so much
for your solution because it worked like a charm on my VAIO (32bit Vista).
Your solution took me three minutes to apply. Thanks again.

Tom