Old March 4th 08, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Default how to delete a folder with no name??

Hi, subratalok.

You're welcome, and thanks for the feedback.

But you did not rename that folder to 0A00~1. It had that name all the
time.

RAM and disk space are so cheap now that we forget that it was precious not
so long ago. When floppy disks held only 67.5 KB, MS-DOS reserved only 8
bytes for the filename, plus 3 for an extension to indicate the type of
file. Only UPPERCASE alphabetic characters were allowed, plus numerals and
a few special characters, such as punctuation. The punctuation was limited,
too; we could use the period only to separate the extension (if any) from
the filename, not as a character in the filename, and spaces were not
allowed. These rules may seem archaic and arbitrary now, but they were
required then to deal with the hardware of the time.

My memory is hazy on this (There are plenty of folks here who can correct
me!), but I think it was not until MS-DOS 6.x that Long File Names (LFN)
were allowed. The file systems (FAT and NTFS) still created and used the
8.3 SFN; they just showed the LFN for use by us humans. And, basically,
they still do.

So, Dir /x shows us the SFN for any file or folder that has an LFN. "Long"
is a slight misnomer, because even a one-character filename is an LFN if it
is not a valid SFN - such as your invisible Alt+0160 (no-break space)
character. So the system creates the SFN immediately for its own use but
does not show it to us unless we ask for it with the /x switch for Dir.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP

"subratalok" wrote in
message ...

THANX MAN.......

your method worked , but that folder get deleted after renaming it by
your method....(i.e, after dir/x . ........ ren 0A00~1 ...)

--
subratalok