Old March 5th 08, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Eddie

Default Spooler SubSystem App

Dear Alan,

Thanks for the explanation of elevated command prompt. I was able to start
the spooler service from the command prompt. But after about one minute I
received the error message again and the spooler closed. I also tried
starting and then immediately stopping the service from the command prompt
which worked successfully. But when I tried to start the spooler and then
open the printer folder, it crashed again. I guess this is probably as
frustrating to you as it is to me. I appreciate your time and effort in
helping me through this.

"Eddie" wrote in message
Alan,

I appreciate all the help. I am sorry about the delay in replying. I did
not get the E-mail notification of your response this time.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

What was the Adobe update for?

It was just an update for Adobe Reader from version 8.1.1 to 8.1.2. But
it
came a few hours after this problem began showing up, so I am pretty
certain
that we can eliminate it as a source of the problem.

Drivers can corrupt the memory of the process they are run in resulting
in
that process terminating.

The command prompt needs to be run as administrator, that why you are
getting the access denied error.

I am the only user on this machine, so I assume that my account has all
admin priviledges. Even the guest account is turned off. Yet I am still
getting the error 5 message with access denied when I try to start the
spooler. When I try to stop it, I do not get the error message or access
denied, but it tells me that the spooler service is not running (which of
course it isn't). It does tell me to type net helpmsg 3521 for more
information. When I do I get the message:

The *** service is not started.

You will need to delete the drivers corrupting the spooler memory.

I followed the process he described, which is similar to one found in one
of
the KB articles. The only difference is that I apparently read the KB
article wrong and deleted the "version-3 registry key" itself instead of
the
sub-keys only. Thankfully I did back up that key previously before
deleting
it, so I was able to restore it and then delete only the subkeys this
time.
I also deleted the XPS Document Writer subkey. I did not use the
cleanspl.exe tool from 2003 Resource kit since I am running Vista. But if
you think I should download that and try it then I will do that next.

I still am getting the error message when I start Vista or try to manually
start the spooler. This is quite frustrating, but I assume there is a
solution.

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thanks for your help in this. I trust that we are making progress.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Launch the event viewer to view the application and system events.
It's
in
Admin tools

Okay, I found it. I looked in the system and application events and I
did
not find anything that appears out of place except for the print
spooler
suddenly terminating three times and Windows attempting to restart it
twice.
I did eliminate the Adobe update, since that actually came a few hours
later
the same day. Let me know if there is something in particular I should
be
looking for.

Open an elevated command prompt and type

net start spooler

Are there any errors or does the spooler start successfully? The
spooler
does pause about a minute before loading all the driver data.

Yes, I immediately got an error message:

System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

also verify that there are no pending print jobs located in
\windows\system32\spool\printers

I verified that folder is empty.

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Alan,

Thank you for your reply.

"Alan Morris [MSFT]" wrote:

Are there any system or application events when the spooler
terminates.

I am not certain what you are asking, but I think the answer is
"No".
Each
time I start my machine, as it boots I get the error message:

"Spooler SubSystem App stopped working and was closed"

This also happens when I manually restart the Print Spooler Service
after
about one minute. This problem just came up one morning for no
apparent
reason. The only change of which I am aware was an update from
Adobe
Reader.
I have tried uninstalling Adobe Reader, but it did not help the
problem.
checked the Windows update schedule, but the only updates that
occurred
at
the time this problem began were Defender definition updates. I
also
tried a
System Restore twice, but each time it failed when trying to restore
the
registry.

Any help you can offer is deeply appreciated.

"Eddie" wrote in message
Dear Boba,

I have removed my printer, following the procedure from the KB
article,
but
I cannot get the print spooler to function. I start it in
services,
but
after a minute or so it crashes. So I cannot reinstall the
driver
for
my
printer. I do not have the LexBCE Server installed and there are
no
dependencies listed for Print Spooler (other than DCOM Process
Server
Launcher).

It seems like the Print Spooler is corrupted. How can I
repair/restore
the
print spooler in Vista Home Premium? I found the KB article for
XP,
but I
don't think that would work with Vista since the installation
procedure
is
very different.

"Boba & Ilinka" wrote:

On the site mention in your post go only to register and remove
your
printer. Reinstall drivers for the printer. Go to the acro
reader
and
set
printer so that it print acro document as an image.
It worked for me.

Boba Vankufer

"Eddie" wrote in message
I need some help, please. I am running Vista Home Premium
(32-bit).
been
receiving an error message each morning when I turn on my
machine
"Spooler
SubSystem App stopped working and was closed". My local
printer
does
not
work, nor can I print across my LAN. I wrote a question about
this
before
and received a suggestion to try this:

But that did not help the problem. I also tried a system
restore
before
the time the printer problem occurred, but it failed twice
when
it
came
point of restoring the registry. The only thing that happened
my
machine
at the time of the spooler failure was an update to Adobe
Reader,
so
also
tried uninstalling that, but still no success. I am at wit's
end
and I
really need to be able to print (for preparing my taxes). Can
anyone
help?