Vista can't connect to my WinMobile 5 device...

Old June 29th 07, 01:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AC [MVP MCMS]

Default Vista can't connect to my WinMobile 5 device...

Whenever I plug in my Windows Mobile v5 device via USB, Vista's Mobile Device
Center doesn't see it. I check the error log and see the following in the
Application log:

"Windows Mobile-based USB device is plugged in but is unable get a network
with the desktop."

Need to do some updates to the WM5 OS as it's still affected by the DST
change.... didn't think it would be, but everything is off by a hour or even
a day.

--
-AC [MVP MCMS]
http://www.andrewconnell.com

Old June 30th 07, 02:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AngieK

Sorry I don't have an answer, but I have the same problem and am trying to
determine the solution. I have looked in Services and they appear to be
working properly. In the Event Viewer, I get the same message as you
described. I'm running Vista Business and Windows Mobile 5.0.

Previously this has been working for me (for the past 2-3 months), it just
stopped working recently - otherwise, it was syncing just fine. The Sync
Center now says that its disconnected even though the USB is plugged in. I
still think there is some service problem. When I plug in the USB, I hear a
sound - like a warning sound that something was being blocked (and there is
no firewall software installed for that to be the issue).

I'll check back to see if there is a solution posted.

Thanks,
AngieK

Old June 30th 07, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AC [MVP MOSS]

Same exact experience here... get the sound that it tried to connect, but
couldn't. Worst case, I'll open a CSS case on this and post my results.

Old July 6th 07, 01:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AngieK

I still don't have an answer, but thought I'd post additional things that
I've done.

So, the Sync Center still says that its Disconnected from the PDA, even
though its connected. I've upgraded Windows Mobile Device Center to the
latest version (at the time of upgrade) at 6.1.6965 (6/30) in hopes that a
newer version would fix something that had gone wrong with the software. Its
almost like something between the USB connection and the Mobile software is
not working properly.

I do see messages that 'Host Process for Windows Services stopped working
and was closed', but I don't know what that is or how to fix it. I think I'm
fairly current on Vista updates.

I also tried something in the
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...eshooting.mspx --
'Windows Mobile Device Center fails to connect due to the Windows Portable
Device driver failing to load.' with uninstalling the driver under 'Windows
Mobile device entry' in Device Manager (under Portable Devices node). But
that didn't solve anything. And I don't have Live OneCare installed - so
that shouldn't be applicable.

I'm out of ideas - and getting a little nervous that my PDA isn't being
backed up. Hope a solution can be found soon.

Thanks,
AngieK