A Windows Vista forum. Vista Banter

Welcome to Vista Banter.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to ask questions and reply to others posts, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

Go Back   Home » Vista Banter forum » Microsoft Windows Vista » Hardware and Windows Vista
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Hardware and Windows Vista Hardware issues in relation to Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices)

Vista loses drivers



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old June 29th 07, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
harmonp
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Vista loses drivers

Why is it that Vista can't hang on to drivers that have been successfully
installed. I have an HP laser printer and an HP All-in-One. Both have Vista
drivers which have been installed and both work correctly...for a while.
Periodically, Vista says it needs to look for new drivers, then it can't find
the drivers, and I'm tied up for hours trying to get Vista to recognize one
printer or the other. Sometimes Vista (Ultimate) loses track of the USB
printer drivers and sometimes it is the Scanner driver. I had to buy all new
printers/scanner to work with Vista, and yet I have to spend hours keeping
them connected properly in Vista.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old June 29th 07, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,288
Default Vista loses drivers

harmonp,

Some folks have had good luck resolving issues like you have by deleting the
INFCACHE.1 file, which can get corrupted with bad data and cause issues. The
file is located at C:\Windows\inf. There, scroll down to the INFCACHE.1 file
and right click it and select delete. To do this, you will likely have to
give yourself permission to delete it, because of Windows built-in security
you know. Just right click the file, select Properties and then click on the
security tab. Let us know whether this procedure does anything. Sometimes
it does and sometimes not.
--
freddy


"harmonp" wrote:

Why is it that Vista can't hang on to drivers that have been successfully
installed. I have an HP laser printer and an HP All-in-One. Both have Vista
drivers which have been installed and both work correctly...for a while.
Periodically, Vista says it needs to look for new drivers, then it can't find
the drivers, and I'm tied up for hours trying to get Vista to recognize one
printer or the other. Sometimes Vista (Ultimate) loses track of the USB
printer drivers and sometimes it is the Scanner driver. I had to buy all new
printers/scanner to work with Vista, and yet I have to spend hours keeping
them connected properly in Vista.

  #3 (permalink)  
Old June 30th 07, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
harmonp
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Vista loses drivers

Thanks for your response. Last night before I turned off the computer, I
deleted the INFCACHE.1 file, and this morning when I turned the computer on,
both the laser printer and the all-in-one worked fine. I hope they continue
to work. I noticed that Windows did not re-create the INFCACHE.1 file. I
take it the file is not necessary.

"freddy" wrote:

harmonp,

Some folks have had good luck resolving issues like you have by deleting the
INFCACHE.1 file, which can get corrupted with bad data and cause issues. The
file is located at C:\Windows\inf. There, scroll down to the INFCACHE.1 file
and right click it and select delete. To do this, you will likely have to
give yourself permission to delete it, because of Windows built-in security
you know. Just right click the file, select Properties and then click on the
security tab. Let us know whether this procedure does anything. Sometimes
it does and sometimes not.
--
freddy


"harmonp" wrote:

Why is it that Vista can't hang on to drivers that have been successfully
installed. I have an HP laser printer and an HP All-in-One. Both have Vista
drivers which have been installed and both work correctly...for a while.
Periodically, Vista says it needs to look for new drivers, then it can't find
the drivers, and I'm tied up for hours trying to get Vista to recognize one
printer or the other. Sometimes Vista (Ultimate) loses track of the USB
printer drivers and sometimes it is the Scanner driver. I had to buy all new
printers/scanner to work with Vista, and yet I have to spend hours keeping
them connected properly in Vista.

  #4 (permalink)  
Old June 30th 07, 03:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,288
Default Vista loses drivers

harmonp,

Vista likely will recreate the file when it has a need for it, such as when
it doesn't know what to do with unrecognizable inf files.
--
freddy


"harmonp" wrote:

Thanks for your response. Last night before I turned off the computer, I
deleted the INFCACHE.1 file, and this morning when I turned the computer on,
both the laser printer and the all-in-one worked fine. I hope they continue
to work. I noticed that Windows did not re-create the INFCACHE.1 file. I
take it the file is not necessary.

"freddy" wrote:

harmonp,

Some folks have had good luck resolving issues like you have by deleting the
INFCACHE.1 file, which can get corrupted with bad data and cause issues. The
file is located at C:\Windows\inf. There, scroll down to the INFCACHE.1 file
and right click it and select delete. To do this, you will likely have to
give yourself permission to delete it, because of Windows built-in security
you know. Just right click the file, select Properties and then click on the
security tab. Let us know whether this procedure does anything. Sometimes
it does and sometimes not.
--
freddy


"harmonp" wrote:

Why is it that Vista can't hang on to drivers that have been successfully
installed. I have an HP laser printer and an HP All-in-One. Both have Vista
drivers which have been installed and both work correctly...for a while.
Periodically, Vista says it needs to look for new drivers, then it can't find
the drivers, and I'm tied up for hours trying to get Vista to recognize one
printer or the other. Sometimes Vista (Ultimate) loses track of the USB
printer drivers and sometimes it is the Scanner driver. I had to buy all new
printers/scanner to work with Vista, and yet I have to spend hours keeping
them connected properly in Vista.

  #5 (permalink)  
Old June 30th 07, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
partenope
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Vista loses drivers

freddy and all,

I installed a PNY OPTIMA Attache' 2 gig memory stick. My upgraded (Vista
Home to Vista Ultimate) Dell lost the connect.

I tried finding drivers on re-install in C:\Windows (and subfolders).

I found a reference to wpdfs.inf in the registry, but the only occurrence of
THAT that I find is a zero byte file, " Mstf_User_WpdFs....... " in
C:\$INPLACE.~TR\yada...yada..yada

I have deleted INFCACHE.1 file and get no recognition.

I assume I have a "lost driver." Anyone have any ideas? I can't get any
memory sticks to work in the machine.

Thanks for any assistence.


"freddy" wrote:

harmonp,

Some folks have had good luck resolving issues like you have by deleting the
INFCACHE.1 file, which can get corrupted with bad data and cause issues. The
file is located at C:\Windows\inf. There, scroll down to the INFCACHE.1 file
and right click it and select delete. To do this, you will likely have to
give yourself permission to delete it, because of Windows built-in security
you know. Just right click the file, select Properties and then click on the
security tab. Let us know whether this procedure does anything. Sometimes
it does and sometimes not.
--
freddy


"harmonp" wrote:

Why is it that Vista can't hang on to drivers that have been successfully
installed. I have an HP laser printer and an HP All-in-One. Both have Vista
drivers which have been installed and both work correctly...for a while.
Periodically, Vista says it needs to look for new drivers, then it can't find
the drivers, and I'm tied up for hours trying to get Vista to recognize one
printer or the other. Sometimes Vista (Ultimate) loses track of the USB
printer drivers and sometimes it is the Scanner driver. I had to buy all new
printers/scanner to work with Vista, and yet I have to spend hours keeping
them connected properly in Vista.

  #6 (permalink)  
Old July 1st 07, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,288
Default Vista loses drivers

partenope,

Plug in the memory stick and look in Device Manager to see how it is
recognized there. Device Manager should show the device three times, as
follows:

1. Under Disk Drives
2. Under Portable Devices
3. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers as a USB Mass Storage Device

Note any indication of errors, such as a yellow bang (!), or any other
indication of a problem. In Device Manager, follow any any suggestions for
resolving any problem indicated. Post back on results.
--
freddy


"partenope" wrote:

freddy and all,

I installed a PNY OPTIMA Attache' 2 gig memory stick. My upgraded (Vista
Home to Vista Ultimate) Dell lost the connect.

I tried finding drivers on re-install in C:\Windows (and subfolders).

I found a reference to wpdfs.inf in the registry, but the only occurrence of
THAT that I find is a zero byte file, " Mstf_User_WpdFs....... " in
C:\$INPLACE.~TR\yada...yada..yada

I have deleted INFCACHE.1 file and get no recognition.

I assume I have a "lost driver." Anyone have any ideas? I can't get any
memory sticks to work in the machine.

Thanks for any assistence.


"freddy" wrote:

harmonp,

Some folks have had good luck resolving issues like you have by deleting the
INFCACHE.1 file, which can get corrupted with bad data and cause issues. The
file is located at C:\Windows\inf. There, scroll down to the INFCACHE.1 file
and right click it and select delete. To do this, you will likely have to
give yourself permission to delete it, because of Windows built-in security
you know. Just right click the file, select Properties and then click on the
security tab. Let us know whether this procedure does anything. Sometimes
it does and sometimes not.
--
freddy


"harmonp" wrote:

Why is it that Vista can't hang on to drivers that have been successfully
installed. I have an HP laser printer and an HP All-in-One. Both have Vista
drivers which have been installed and both work correctly...for a while.
Periodically, Vista says it needs to look for new drivers, then it can't find
the drivers, and I'm tied up for hours trying to get Vista to recognize one
printer or the other. Sometimes Vista (Ultimate) loses track of the USB
printer drivers and sometimes it is the Scanner driver. I had to buy all new
printers/scanner to work with Vista, and yet I have to spend hours keeping
them connected properly in Vista.

  #7 (permalink)  
Old July 1st 07, 05:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
partenope
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Vista loses drivers

In the meanwhile, I tried reformatting the stick. I got the "Open File /
Optimize Memory" option window briefly before the Windows found new hardware"
window opened.

Re-plugging it, I get []? Other devices
[]! USB 2.0 FD

( [] represents the icon, also in the tray, Found New Hardware)

Device status This device is not configured correctly (Code 1)

(No changes, nor links to the device under:
1. Under Disk Drives
2. Under Portable Devices
3. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers as a USB Mass Storage

Device)

Disk Drives and Portable Devices have:
USB HS-CF
USB HS-MS
USB HS-SD
USB HS-xD/SM
... USB Device (under Disk Drives)
and ... Card (under Devices, except the last, "USB
HS-xD/SM "

Universal Serial Bus controllers have
General Purpose USB Hub
M/S Internet Keyboard Pro Composite Device
2 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controllers
5 Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controllers, and,
7 USB Root Hubs

No indications of problems besides the Other Devices - USB 2.0 FD.


"freddy" wrote:

partenope,

Plug in the memory stick and look in Device Manager to see how it is
recognized there. Device Manager should show the device three times, as
follows:

1. Under Disk Drives
2. Under Portable Devices
3. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers as a USB Mass Storage Device

Note any indication of errors, such as a yellow bang (!), or any other
indication of a problem. In Device Manager, follow any any suggestions for
resolving any problem indicated. Post back on results.
--
freddy


"partenope" wrote:

freddy and all,

I installed a PNY OPTIMA Attache' 2 gig memory stick. My upgraded (Vista
Home to Vista Ultimate) Dell lost the connect.

I tried finding drivers on re-install in C:\Windows (and subfolders).

I found a reference to wpdfs.inf in the registry, but the only occurrence of
THAT that I find is a zero byte file, " Mstf_User_WpdFs....... " in
C:\$INPLACE.~TR\yada...yada..yada

I have deleted INFCACHE.1 file and get no recognition.

I assume I have a "lost driver." Anyone have any ideas? I can't get any
memory sticks to work in the machine.

Thanks for any assistence.


  #8 (permalink)  
Old July 1st 07, 10:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,288
Default Vista loses drivers

Good morning partenope,

I'm having difficulty following your descriptions. For example, I don't
know what USB HF-CF or any of the other similar descriptions mean, such as
USB 2.0 FD, etc. In summary, it appears to me that Vista is recognizing the
drive, but is having a problem with the way it's configured, judging from the
Code 1 you have.

The Optimize Memory window you're getting is Windows trying to tell you that
you can use the drive as a ReadyBoost device. This is OK. You can choose to
use the drive in that manner or not. If you don't know about ReadyBoost, you
can use google to learn more. I'm using a 2 GB USB SanDisk as a ReadyBoost
device, and I've not had any problem with it, so I know that Vista can work
with these USB type flash drives.

At this point, I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer's tech support, if
they have one, to determine what they say about the configuration of the
drive. I don't know what configuration the drive should have. Did the drive
come with any instructions about that? You may also try using google to see
whether you can find any information about that issue. Likely others have
posted about this on the Internet, if they have had a problem.

Also, peruse the manufacturer's website for any information on what the
story is about this drive. Did the drive come with any pre installed
software? If it did, that can cause a conflict with Vista, as it's likely
not compatible with Vista. I'm just not familiar with this device. You can
also try viewing the drive in Vista's Disk Management utility: Right click
Computer (formerly My Computer), select Manage and then select Disk
Management. The drive should show up there and perhaps it will display some
indication on the status of the drive and thus give you a clue as to what is
wrong with it.

I think my flash drive is formatted in FAT 32, and Vista has no problem with
that. In Disk Management, you may try formatting the drive in FAT 32 to see
whether that solves the problem. Just some suggetions. Post back on the
results you get.
--
freddy


"partenope" wrote:

In the meanwhile, I tried reformatting the stick. I got the "Open File /
Optimize Memory" option window briefly before the Windows found new hardware"
window opened.

Re-plugging it, I get []? Other devices
[]! USB 2.0 FD

( [] represents the icon, also in the tray, Found New Hardware)

Device status This device is not configured correctly (Code 1)

(No changes, nor links to the device under:
1. Under Disk Drives
2. Under Portable Devices
3. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers as a USB Mass Storage

Device)

Disk Drives and Portable Devices have:
USB HS-CF
USB HS-MS
USB HS-SD
USB HS-xD/SM
... USB Device (under Disk Drives)
and ... Card (under Devices, except the last, "USB
HS-xD/SM "

Universal Serial Bus controllers have
General Purpose USB Hub
M/S Internet Keyboard Pro Composite Device
2 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controllers
5 Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controllers, and,
7 USB Root Hubs

No indications of problems besides the Other Devices - USB 2.0 FD.


"freddy" wrote:

partenope,

Plug in the memory stick and look in Device Manager to see how it is
recognized there. Device Manager should show the device three times, as
follows:

1. Under Disk Drives
2. Under Portable Devices
3. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers as a USB Mass Storage Device

Note any indication of errors, such as a yellow bang (!), or any other
indication of a problem. In Device Manager, follow any any suggestions for
resolving any problem indicated. Post back on results.
--
freddy


"partenope" wrote:

freddy and all,

I installed a PNY OPTIMA Attache' 2 gig memory stick. My upgraded (Vista
Home to Vista Ultimate) Dell lost the connect.

I tried finding drivers on re-install in C:\Windows (and subfolders).

I found a reference to wpdfs.inf in the registry, but the only occurrence of
THAT that I find is a zero byte file, " Mstf_User_WpdFs....... " in
C:\$INPLACE.~TR\yada...yada..yada

I have deleted INFCACHE.1 file and get no recognition.

I assume I have a "lost driver." Anyone have any ideas? I can't get any
memory sticks to work in the machine.

Thanks for any assistence.


  #9 (permalink)  
Old July 1st 07, 01:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
partenope
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Vista loses drivers

Ok.. "magical" thinking here. I'm struggling at the edge of my knowledge,
and I'm hoping that you're close to omniscient.

I'll explain with details embedded, below.

"freddy" wrote:

Good morning partenope,

I'm having difficulty following your descriptions. For example, I don't
know what USB HF-CF or any of the other similar descriptions mean,


Those are the built-in Dell 13-in-1 card reader: Compact Flask, SD card,
and, I assume, whatever other memory cards.

such as USB 2.0 FD, etc.


That is the PNY Optima Attache 2 GB memory stick in question. The one I
bought because my other memory sticks weren't being recognized, and it was
labled "Vista Ready."

In summary, it appears to me that Vista is recognizing the
drive, but is having a problem with the way it's configured, judging from the
Code 1 you have.

The Optimize Memory window you're getting


I should point out that I only got it once (or maybe twice) but I didn't act
on it fast enough to get the computer to use it for that session. (more
info below)

is Windows trying to tell you that
you can use the drive as a ReadyBoost device. This is OK. You can choose to
use the drive in that manner or not. If you don't know about ReadyBoost, you
can use google to learn more. I'm using a 2 GB USB SanDisk as a ReadyBoost
device, and I've not had any problem with it, so I know that Vista can work
with these USB type flash drives.


Yes. Excellent idea. After I started researching the web for my problem,
I initially thought that may be the ONLY use for it. I have 2 Gig of
onboard memory (and slots for 2 gig more, and I've had a dozen apps open in
their own windows in addition to all the background items running, so I
assume that I'm good for now in the memory department.

At this point, I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer's tech support, if
they have one, to determine what they say about the configuration of the
drive. I don't know what configuration the drive should have. Did the drive
come with any instructions about that? You may also try using google to see
whether you can find any information about that issue. Likely others have
posted about this on the Internet, if they have had a problem.


Manufacturer says it's Vista compliant, that I should call M/S tech support.
Google finds several references to XP problems. Possible solutions,
delete INFCASH.1 (did that), reformat flash drive (did that), finally, there
was a Windows Vista Magazine registry tweak (
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\EMDMgmt\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_PNY &Prod_USB_2.0_FD&Rev_2048#AA00000000001978&0#{53f5 6307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}USB20FD_3160073302
in my case.

"Change Device Status to 2, ReadSpeadKBs and WriteSpeed KBs to 1000."

A few readers had success with that. At first I found no such entry, just
now I did -- but no success.

Also, peruse the manufacturer's website for any information on what the
story is about this drive. Did the drive come with any pre installed
software? If it did, that can cause a conflict with Vista, as it's likely
not compatible with Vista. I'm just not familiar with this device. You can
also try viewing the drive in Vista's Disk Management utility: Right click
Computer (formerly My Computer), select Manage and then select Disk
Management. The drive should show up there and perhaps it will display some
indication on the status of the drive and thus give you a clue as to what is
wrong with it.


It did show up there one time, when I clicked on "open file." I managed to
copy a few files to it, and assumed (hoped) that the problem had magically
gone away (perhaps because I was now using a Vista ready device and Vista had
"figured it out." But, it went back to "New Hardware Found" and eventually
"Device Driver software was not successfully installed" after finding nothing
on my hard drive, in Windows Update, or "on the web" (where ever Vista looks).

I think my flash drive is formatted in FAT 32, and Vista has no problem with
that. In Disk Management, you may try formatting the drive in FAT 32 to see
whether that solves the problem.


I found mine as FAT 32 on my XP computer, and reformatted it there. The
Volume Name wasn't accepted as "USB 2.0 FD" (spaces and period), so I
changed it a bit. Vista still recognizes USB 2.0 FD under other devices. I
don't get to the point where I can read the volume name.

Just some suggetions. Post back on the results you get.
--


Thanks! I really appreciate your tackling this (and, so far, am enjoying
the challenge, myself).

I still suspect there may be an answer in this near mythical "wpdfs.inf" --
but I only find it a couple places in my registry (in connection with the PNY
flash drive), and allusion to it in my temp file, and a asian site (with
mostly, I believe, Asian characters) on Google. Nothing from Search all of
M/S.


  #10 (permalink)  
Old July 1st 07, 01:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,288
Default Vista loses drivers

partenope,

Well, I can say that you should not need any drivers for this device, other
than those that Vista automatically assigns to the device. So, you should
stop thinking along the lines of there could be a driver you need to
download. The only exception would be if somehow your motherboard and its
chipsets and chipset drivers don't support USB 2.0. I have no idea what type
system you have, so it's up to you to know about this point.

Try connecting the drive to different USB ports. Some motherboards have
separate ports for USB 1.0/1.1 and USB 2.0, usually those boards that are not
of current manufacture. In addition, reformat the drive in Vista, in case
The WinXP format is somehow different from that of Vista and could be causing
a problem. It's not necessary to change the name of the volume from that of
the default. You can make the change later if that's important to you.

Don't focus on USB items in Device Manager that are not causing a problem.
Only focus on how Device Manager handles the problem device. Adding comments
about other devices have no bearing on the problem and only cause confusion.

I don't see how any registry entries could have anything to do with your
problem. I think the registry hack you're talking about has to do with using
a USB flash drive that Vista doesn't recognize as ReadyBoost capable. The
hack causes Vista to use it for ReadyBoost. Your problem is to get Vista to
accept the device in any form. So, forget registry hacks for this problem.

For just your problem device, Device Manager should recognize it in the
three place as I indicated in my previous post. Check on how Device Manager
shows this drive in those three places (forget all the other USB items). I'm
almost out of ideas. The only other step I could recommend is to do some USB
troubleshooting steps that you have not done, but I can post those later
after you have followed up on what we've discussed here.
--
freddy


"partenope" wrote:

Ok.. "magical" thinking here. I'm struggling at the edge of my knowledge,
and I'm hoping that you're close to omniscient.

I'll explain with details embedded, below.

"freddy" wrote:

Good morning partenope,

I'm having difficulty following your descriptions. For example, I don't
know what USB HF-CF or any of the other similar descriptions mean,


Those are the built-in Dell 13-in-1 card reader: Compact Flask, SD card,
and, I assume, whatever other memory cards.

such as USB 2.0 FD, etc.


That is the PNY Optima Attache 2 GB memory stick in question. The one I
bought because my other memory sticks weren't being recognized, and it was
labled "Vista Ready."

In summary, it appears to me that Vista is recognizing the
drive, but is having a problem with the way it's configured, judging from the
Code 1 you have.

The Optimize Memory window you're getting


I should point out that I only got it once (or maybe twice) but I didn't act
on it fast enough to get the computer to use it for that session. (more
info below)

is Windows trying to tell you that
you can use the drive as a ReadyBoost device. This is OK. You can choose to
use the drive in that manner or not. If you don't know about ReadyBoost, you
can use google to learn more. I'm using a 2 GB USB SanDisk as a ReadyBoost
device, and I've not had any problem with it, so I know that Vista can work
with these USB type flash drives.


Yes. Excellent idea. After I started researching the web for my problem,
I initially thought that may be the ONLY use for it. I have 2 Gig of
onboard memory (and slots for 2 gig more, and I've had a dozen apps open in
their own windows in addition to all the background items running, so I
assume that I'm good for now in the memory department.

At this point, I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer's tech support, if
they have one, to determine what they say about the configuration of the
drive. I don't know what configuration the drive should have. Did the drive
come with any instructions about that? You may also try using google to see
whether you can find any information about that issue. Likely others have
posted about this on the Internet, if they have had a problem.


Manufacturer says it's Vista compliant, that I should call M/S tech support.
Google finds several references to XP problems. Possible solutions,
delete INFCASH.1 (did that), reformat flash drive (did that), finally, there
was a Windows Vista Magazine registry tweak (
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\EMDMgmt\_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_PNY &Prod_USB_2.0_FD&Rev_2048#AA00000000001978&0#{53f5 6307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}USB20FD_3160073302
in my case.

"Change Device Status to 2, ReadSpeadKBs and WriteSpeed KBs to 1000."

A few readers had success with that. At first I found no such entry, just
now I did -- but no success.

Also, peruse the manufacturer's website for any information on what the
story is about this drive. Did the drive come with any pre installed
software? If it did, that can cause a conflict with Vista, as it's likely
not compatible with Vista. I'm just not familiar with this device. You can
also try viewing the drive in Vista's Disk Management utility: Right click
Computer (formerly My Computer), select Manage and then select Disk
Management. The drive should show up there and perhaps it will display some
indication on the status of the drive and thus give you a clue as to what is
wrong with it.


It did show up there one time, when I clicked on "open file." I managed to
copy a few files to it, and assumed (hoped) that the problem had magically
gone away (perhaps because I was now using a Vista ready device and Vista had
"figured it out." But, it went back to "New Hardware Found" and eventually
"Device Driver software was not successfully installed" after finding nothing
on my hard drive, in Windows Update, or "on the web" (where ever Vista looks).

I think my flash drive is formatted in FAT 32, and Vista has no problem with
that. In Disk Management, you may try formatting the drive in FAT 32 to see
whether that solves the problem.


I found mine as FAT 32 on my XP computer, and reformatted it there. The
Volume Name wasn't accepted as "USB 2.0 FD" (spaces and period), so I
changed it a bit. Vista still recognizes USB 2.0 FD under other devices. I
don't get to the point where I can read the volume name.

Just some suggetions. Post back on the results you get.
--


Thanks! I really appreciate your tackling this (and, so far, am enjoying
the challenge, myself).

I still suspect there may be an answer in this near mythical "wpdfs.inf" --
but I only find it a couple places in my registry (in connection with the PNY
flash drive), and allusion to it in my temp file, and a asian site (with
mostly, I believe, Asian characters) on Google. Nothing from Search all of
M/S.


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC6
Copyright 2004-2018 Vista Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.