Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?

Old September 8th 07, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alexander VW[_2_]

Default Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?

Funny you mention that- because that is exactly how I have the audio set up.
I have a creative x-fi fatality, which I use to output to the computer
speakers. I also have onboard audio that came with my commando motherboard,
which I use for the receiver in the other room because the x-fi doesnt have
optical out. Between those two I have 5 different output options in the sound
menu, but no matter what I do I can't have any two working at the same time
in the same application. I know they both work though, because I can have two
different applications running through each at the same time, just never a
single application.
Old September 10th 07, 06:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Alexander VW[_2_]

The only way so far I can figure out to do this is via a 3.5 mm jack
splitter, but that requires me to plug and unplug whenever I have to change
it- Is there really no other way to do it, even if I had to purchase
something?
Old February 18th 08, 10:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kajakob

Have any of you found a program or fix that can solve this problem with
having the same output sound on two different outputs?

We are several people here that have the same problem with Vista, and I
think the problem is software not hardware…..

"Alexander VW" wrote:

I also have the same problem- I live in an apartment, and I have my
computer/computer speakers in one room and a projector/theater speakers in
the other. I have both video and audio hooked up to the room with the
projector (via a vga extension and SP/DIF out), for using windows media
center and occasionally playing games on a larger screen.

However, even though I have both sets of speakers connected the same
computer, there is no way to output audio through both at the same time. I
can choose between either, but each time I change the default audio output,
any new programs use exclusively those speakers. This ruins my plans of being
able to stream music through the entire floor.

From what I can tell, Vista does not allow multiple outputs (as backwards
as that may seem). Is there any other option available, preferably software
rather than hardware change? If I cannot find a solution, I may be forced to

Old March 11th 08, 02:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jari Pennanen

On Feb 18, 1:56 pm, Kajakob wrote:
We are several people here that have the same problem with Vista, and I
think the problem is software not hardware.....

You are right, it is software problem since it works in XP.

Only way to "fix" this is to step on the Microsoft toes, creating
audio drivers that represents all audio devices and all audio outputs
as one, which take control of Vista's sucky idea. But that is easier
said than done.

I heard that some manufacturers have started to represent only one
output device to Vista so that at least you can have full control of
that device's outputs. So instead of having Headphones, SPDIF and
Speakers as separate playback devices, you'd have only one controlled
thru some other application.
Old March 25th 08, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dan

I have the same problem, too. I'm just posting so that maybe microsoft takes
note that there are lots of people that are annoyed by this.

"Tim Sagstetter" wrote:

My computer includes an HDMI output port on an ADD2 card. The card is
internally connected to the High Definition Audio Device header on the main
board to provide audio output via the HDMI jack. The computer also has
typical 7.1 audio output via ST jacks and an SPDIF jack. The only way I've
found to switch among the audio output devices is to use Control Panel -
Sound - Manage Audio Devices. After setting HDMI Device, Speakers, or SPDIF
as the Default playback device, I have to close the applet and restart any
audio applications before the output is switched to the selected device.
This is really cumbersome and inconvenient.

Is there a way to open the Manage Audio Devices applet directly (without
having to go through Control Panel) to make this selection more convenient?

Also, audio is only output to the device selected as the Default device,
rather than all devices simultaneously. Thus, if you have a digital TV with
an HDMI input, but a receiver with only analog inputs, you can't switch
between the TV's speakers and the receiver's speakers without first going
through the procedure to switch the default playback device and restart any
applications. And you can't use both at the same time.

Is there a way to output to all audio devices simultaneously so I can simply
listen to the desired device by controlling its volume?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old April 5th 08, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kevin

"Tim Sagstetter" wrote:
[...]

Thanks in advance for any advice.- Hide quoted text -

notice we are on a google group requesting this? Maybe we need to
take this up with Microsoft.
I am using KO500 bluetooth speakers in everyroom of my house with this
computer in the middle while wearing S9 headsets with speakers
connected directly to this computer.. Yes.. not only would it be great
to output to multiple devices but to select which programs map to
which outputs would rock.
Old April 6th 08, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
V Green

You guys are barking up the wrong tree.

The functionality you are looking for has to:

a: be supported by the hardware and its driver(s)
b: be supported by the application(s) you are running

It's not a Microsoft issue.

Some audio editors allow you to change which
device you are outputting to from within the program,
for example, so it can be done. Yell at the application
developers.

Old July 7th 08, 01:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Scott

I too have this same problem. It worked in XP and does not in Vista. Why MS
would screw up the audio on purpose is beyond me.

Old July 7th 08, 04:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charlie Tame

It is not necessarily MS, the device manufacturer may have updated
drivers that will do what you need. Did you look there?

And, forgive me if I am missing the point here but right click on the
speaker icon brings up a menu in my case. Again this may be due to the
device driver I think.

Old July 7th 08, 04:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PD43[_2_]

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 23:05:06 -0500, Charlie Tame
wrote:

It is not necessarily MS, the device manufacturer may have updated
drivers that will do what you need. Did you look there?

And, forgive me if I am missing the point here but right click on the
speaker icon brings up a menu in my case. Again this may be due to the
device driver I think.

I think the speaker is driver-independent and is a Windows thing.