Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?

Old December 20th 08, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nick B[_2_]

Default sound default

this may be of some help. I have a setup where I have my surround sound headphones plugged in via 1/8" jacks on the back and my theatre plugged in via spdif.

Most applications that use sound have sound options and allow you to select which sound device.
So what I do is leave my default in control panel to my headphones. Winamp and Media Player Classic to my speakers so no matter what my sound is set to my music and videos are playing on speakers.

This also keeps my msn sounds and other alerts on my headphones when I'm watching a movie, which is a pro and con in different ways.

and to add to the argument that this is a MS issue I had XP and by default XP would output to ALL outputs at the same time. When I was too lazy to turn off my stereo I had to disable my spdif jack to disable stereo output and stick with my headphones.

I also would like to know about a (better) solution for this.
Old December 20th 08, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Billy Buddusky

Nick B wrote:

this may be of some help.

[snip]

It might have been, except:

1) you didn't quote any of what you were replying to

2) you changed the subject line
Old August 4th 10, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Patrick Rogan

Default I Did It!

I cannot believe it... But... I did it! I only dealt with this issue for 30 minutes. My boss wanted to listen to a certain kind of music on my computer (Since I have a 40,000+ playlist of songs) while I wanted to listen to Grooveshark on Firefox. This is not a hardware or Microsoft issue (Though, that is actually debatable), but rather a software issue. I have an Hp Media Center PC with Vista installed on this one, I haven't tested it on my other PC's with XP and Win7 installed.

When you first start an application, all its sound will be outputted through the default audio device. Notice that when you switch the audio device, the application stays using the same output device. While this is a major defect on Microsoft's part (requiring you to potentially restart your application to see the changes) it is also what makes this work.

I sat and thought thinking for 5 minutes about the solution. Bam! I want to listen to Grooveshark on Firefox and Mathew West on WMP, so I start WMP first and set the default audio device to the speakers beforehand. Now I change the audio device to my headset, but notice the sound is still going through my speakers. Now open Firefox and open Grooveshark and the sound will come out of the default audio device: The Headset, not the speaker.

I will post a more detailed tutorial on my website ( http://hihicanvasart.co.cc/ )

Tell me if this works! And if not, give me your scenario (since I can most likely reenact it) and I will seek your solution. HiHi Out!

Tim Sagstetter wrote:

Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?
29-Jun-07

My computer includes an HDMI output port on an ADD2 card. The card is
internally connected to the High Definition Audio Device header on the main
board to provide audio output via the HDMI jack. The computer also has
typical 7.1 audio output via ST jacks and an SPDIF jack. The only way I've
found to switch among the audio output devices is to use Control Panel -
Sound - Manage Audio Devices. After setting HDMI Device, Speakers, or SPDIF
as the Default playback device, I have to close the applet and restart any
audio applications before the output is switched to the selected device.
This is really cumbersome and inconvenient.

Is there a way to open the Manage Audio Devices applet directly (without
having to go through Control Panel) to make this selection more convenient?

Also, audio is only output to the device selected as the Default device,
rather than all devices simultaneously. Thus, if you have a digital TV with
an HDMI input, but a receiver with only analog inputs, you can't switch
between the TV's speakers and the receiver's speakers without first going
through the procedure to switch the default playback device and restart any
applications. And you can't use both at the same time.

Is there a way to output to all audio devices simultaneously so I can simply
listen to the desired device by controlling its volume?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

On Friday, June 29, 2007 8:37 PM
Tim Sagstetter wrote:

[...]

On Friday, June 29, 2007 8:58 PM
Cal Bear '66 wrote:

An easy way to get to the Playback Devices and Recording Devices is to right
An easy way to get to the Playback Devices and Recording Devices is to right
click on the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar.

As to your other question about multiple simultaneous playback devices, I too
would like to know how to accomplish that.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Tim Sagstetter" wrote in message

On Friday, June 29, 2007 9:42 PM
Richard G. Harper wrote:

No version of Windows supports multiple active outputs at once.-- Richard G.
No version of Windows supports multiple active outputs at once.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

"Tim Sagstetter" wrote in message

On Saturday, June 30, 2007 1:46 PM
GW wrote:

Well it may not support it but my system works with a Realtek High Definition
Well it may not support it but my system works with a Realtek High Definition
Audio Device and a Creative SB X-Fi device. Both output sound. Both report
they are working properly in Device Manager.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

On Monday, July 02, 2007 6:54 PM
Tim Sagstetter wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
Thank you for your reply. For some reason, I thought all you could get by
right-clicking the icon was the mixer. Thanks for the reminder! That
should work fine.

Tim

On Monday, July 02, 2007 7:06 PM
Tim Sagstetter wrote:

Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?
Richard:

Thank you for your reply. If this is possible, I sure hope engineering
considers this for a future release. With the number of
computer/audio/video connection scenarios increasing, it seems multiple
technologies should be supported for simultaneous playback if users want to
keep their existing A/V equipment.

Tim

On Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:26 PM
LemonGalax wrote:

I too would really like Vista to support this.
I too would really like Vista to support this. This is my situation:

I have an AC850 (nforce4) connected to a set of Logitech 5450 speakers (this
includes a dts and ac3 decoder). My PC is connected to the decoder by a
toslink cable as well as the usual 5.1 direct outputs.

When I use media centre to play a DVD, I want it to passthrough ac3 and dts
streams to the toslink (spdif). For everything else I want it to be output
in analog 5.1 surround (this is especially important for games).

Using XP I acheived this by using digital passthrough with Cyberlink
PowerDVD. XP would always output everything else to both analogue and
disgital outputs simultaneously. Why can't Vista/Media centre do the same
without me having to change default devices?

On Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:02 PM
EvanPDail wrote:

That's not true.
That's not true. My HP DEC running windows XP had both analog and SPDIF
output at the same time. Additionally they were seperate volumes as well.
The SPDIF responded to my Media Center remote while the analog out was fixed.
Since the upgrade to Vista I have lost that flexibility. I am either analog
OR digital. This has really screwed up my distributed audio configuration.

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

On Saturday, September 08, 2007 4:16 AM
Alexander V wrote:

I also have the same problem- I live in an apartment, and I have my
I also have the same problem- I live in an apartment, and I have my
computer/computer speakers in one room and a projector/theater speakers in
the other. I have both video and audio hooked up to the room with the
projector (via a vga extension and SP/DIF out), for using windows media
center and occasionally playing games on a larger screen.

However, even though I have both sets of speakers connected the same
computer, there is no way to output audio through both at the same time. I
can choose between either, but each time I change the default audio output,
any new programs use exclusively those speakers. This ruins my plans of being
able to stream music through the entire floor.

From what I can tell, Vista does not allow multiple outputs (as backwards
as that may seem). Is there any other option available, preferably software
rather than hardware change? If I cannot find a solution, I may be forced to

On Saturday, September 08, 2007 7:22 AM
Cal Bear '66 wrote:

It seems that the only option with Vista is to have two audio devices
It seems that the only option with Vista is to have two audio devices installed.

I have my on board Realtek audio adapter and a Creative X-Fi installed for just
such purposes with no conflicts or problems. I don't think there is any way in
Vista to have both the analog and digital outputs of a single audio adapter
active at the same time -- too bad.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Alexander VW" Alexander wrote in message

On Saturday, September 08, 2007 1:18 PM
AlexanderV wrote:

Funny you mention that- because that is exactly how I have the audio set up.
Funny you mention that- because that is exactly how I have the audio set up.
I have a creative x-fi fatality, which I use to output to the computer
speakers. I also have onboard audio that came with my commando motherboard,
which I use for the receiver in the other room because the x-fi doesnt have
optical out. Between those two I have 5 different output options in the sound
menu, but no matter what I do I can't have any two working at the same time
in the same application. I know they both work though, because I can have two
different applications running through each at the same time, just never a
single application.

On Monday, September 10, 2007 2:32 AM
AlexanderV wrote:

The only way so far I can figure out to do this is via a 3.
The only way so far I can figure out to do this is via a 3.5 mm jack
splitter, but that requires me to plug and unplug whenever I have to change
it- Is there really no other way to do it, even if I had to purchase
something?

On Monday, February 18, 2008 6:56 AM
Kajako wrote:

Have any of you found a program or fix that can solve this problem with having
Have any of you found a program or fix that can solve this problem with
having the same output sound on two different outputs?

We are several people here that have the same problem with Vista, and I
think the problem is software not hardware???..

"Alexander VW" wrote:

On Wednesday, March 12, 2008 8:06 AM
Jari Pennanen wrote:

Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?
On Feb 18, 1:56 pm, Kajakob wrote:

You are right, it is software problem since it works in XP.

Only way to "fix" this is to step on the Microsoft toes, creating
audio drivers that represents all audio devices and all audio outputs
as one, which take control of Vista's sucky idea. But that is easier
said than done.

I heard that some manufacturers have started to represent only one
output device to Vista so that at least you can have full control of
that device's outputs. So instead of having Headphones, SPDIF and
Speakers as separate playback devices, you'd have only one controlled
thru some other application.

On Tuesday, March 25, 2008 7:27 PM
Da wrote:

I have the same problem, too.
I have the same problem, too. I am just posting so that maybe microsoft takes
note that there are lots of people that are annoyed by this.

"Tim Sagstetter" wrote:

On Saturday, April 05, 2008 10:47 PM
V Green wrote:

You guys are barking up the wrong tree.
You guys are barking up the wrong tree.

The functionality you are looking for has to:

a: be supported by the hardware and its driver(s)
b: be supported by the application(s) you are running

It's not a Microsoft issue.

Some audio editors allow you to change which
device you are outputting to from within the program,
for example, so it can be done. Yell at the application
developers.

"Kevin" wrote in message
On Mar 25, 4:27 pm, Dan wrote:

notice we are on a google group requesting this? Maybe we need to
take this up with Microsoft.
I am using KO500 bluetooth speakers in everyroom of my house with this
computer in the middle while wearing S9 headsets with speakers
connected directly to this computer.. Yes.. not only would it be great
to output to multiple devices but to select which programs map to
which outputs would rock.

On Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:53 PM
Kevin wrote:

Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?
On Mar 25, 4:27=A0pm, Dan wrote:
takes

ain
I've

SPDIF
ny

nt?

V with
any
mply

notice we are on a google group requesting this? Maybe we need to
take this up with Microsoft.
I am using KO500 bluetooth speakers in everyroom of my house with this
computer in the middle while wearing S9 headsets with speakers
connected directly to this computer.. Yes.. not only would it be great
to output to multiple devices but to select which programs map to
which outputs would rock.

On Sunday, July 06, 2008 9:46 PM
Scot wrote:

I too have this same problem. It worked in XP and does not in Vista.
I too have this same problem. It worked in XP and does not in Vista. Why MS
would screw up the audio on purpose is beyond me.

"Dan" wrote:

On Monday, July 07, 2008 12:05 AM
Charlie Tame wrote:

It is not necessarily MS, the device manufacturer may have updated drivers
It is not necessarily MS, the device manufacturer may have updated
drivers that will do what you need. Did you look there?

And, forgive me if I am missing the point here but right click on the
speaker icon brings up a menu in my case. Again this may be due to the
device driver I think.

Scott wrote:

On Monday, July 07, 2008 12:25 AM
PD43 wrote:

Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?
wrote:

I think the speaker is driver-independent and is a Windows thing.

On Monday, July 07, 2008 12:35 AM
Charlie Tame wrote:

Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?
PD43 wrote:

Mine comes up with AC97 audio, a mixer option, recording and playback
controls etc. It is different to what comes up on other machines (With
different onboard sound cards).

(I don't mean the PC speaker, the system tray icon is what I meant).

On Monday, July 07, 2008 12:46 AM
PD43 wrote:

Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?
wrote:

I am talking about the system tray icon as well. I have both: one is
the standard Windows speaker icon, the other is for my Soundblaster
card.

On Monday, July 07, 2008 1:24 AM
Charlie Tame wrote:

Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?
PD43 wrote:

Ah, well I can't say for sure about playback but I know a driver update
changed mine a bit and also corrected a mic problem I had been
experiencing with skype.

As far as playback is concerned I "Think" it also corrected some speaker
setting anomaly (6 min jacks on my MB) where one jack was left and right
crossed over but I was not really paying attention because it was unused
at that time. Now however it is definitely the right way around.
Wouldn't swear to that though because it was a while ago and I wasn't
planning on using it.

On Monday, August 04, 2008 9:33 PM
Joe Schmoe wrote:

Updates? Drivers? Windows has never been able to do this??. This Baffles Me!!!
Our drivers? do all of us have the same hardware? same mobo's? same audio cards? are all of us using vista now, what versions are we using? have all of us who are using vista now used XP and DID IT WORK??

Well I know 15 of my clients who used XP all diffrent manufactures, (diffrent versions of XP as well..Home,Pro) diffrent mobo's, diffrent sound cards, all Drivers\Updates up to date in XP, and decided to upgrade to vista and all of them including myself (like others here) cannot get MICROSOFT'S VISTA to play audio through 2 outputs at once!

So.. how can we ask those who post here have you done your updates, or Tell them it's There (your) hardware, when so many have posted here with diffrent specs and all are having the same issue.... Not to mention it's all over google\search engines that people are having this issue and as far as i've researched no one has found a fix to it as of yet.

what really amazes me is all the posts here of people who have multiple audio sources, and the way society\Technology is changing with networking, multiple rooms\floors\Zones with tv\audio\video, surround sound etc...

Why they (MICROSOFT) push there all-in-one Almighty Media Center\Player (cough cough)and would take away a much needed option for media sharing(sound)\networking(Sound)\ the ultimate home\business experience.

One last note... multi-room\channels\Zones\floors of audio have been around for eons. Almost all surrond sound processors\recievers (even consumer ones from BestNOTBuy have the ability to push audio simultaneously to diffrent zones at once. AND XP DID AS WELL!!!

I'll be back in a few months to see if there's been any headway... good luck to all of you that are in the same boat as myself..

On Monday, August 04, 2008 9:33 PM
joeschmoe wrote:

how you few can say this isn't a microsoft issue baffles me
[...]

On Monday, August 04, 2008 9:34 PM
joeschmoe wrote:

Some Of You Baffle Me.
[...]

On Thursday, November 06, 2008 3:04 PM
J A wrote:

tell Microsoft to add multiple audio output--vote here!
If everyone votes for this maybe we will see some action for the next version of windows:

http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/76

On Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:58 PM
liebezeit wrote:

Can Vista Ultimate output to multiple audio devices?
PD43;1089508 Wrote:

There is no reason Windows couldn't support this system wide. If we all
go here and vote for this feature, maybe they'll implement it for
Windows 7:

'Output to more than one audio device simultaneously - Windows 7
Taskforce' (http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/76)

Go and vote!

--
liebezeit

On Friday, November 28, 2008 3:09 PM
Tweaked wrote:

My deal is I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H and am using the onboardaudio.
My deal is I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H and am using the onboard
audio. I have a simple (read cheap) 2.1 computer speaker set up, but I
also have dual monitors setup using the HDMI port to my HD TV across the
room. Now if I go into the "Play back devices" and change the HDMI to
default prior to starting the application I want to watch on the TV.
Then go back in and reset the default back to the el' cheapo speakers at
the desk so I do not get the lame IM noises on the TV everything works.

I personally would love to see functionality that forces specific apps
to use specific audio devices.

Has anyone else had any luck?

--
Tweaked

On Saturday, December 20, 2008 1:39 PM
Nick B wrote:

[...]

On Thursday, January 01, 2009 12:58 PM
Java Joe wrote:

sound default - Nick B
Vista supports output to multiple sound devices and even multiple sound devices on the same sound card if the hardware and drivers support it. For example, right now I am listening to both the SPDIF (hooked up to the receiver) and the 'speakers' device (PC speakers) simultaneously. I?m using Winamp with the ?Multiple Output Plugin?. The issue is the Windows Media Player engine and thus Media Center. Really limiting configuration options. It is that team we need to be pushing. I think like many things Vista they went amok with security/DRM.

On Monday, June 29, 2009 3:51 PM
Kenny Wennborg wrote:

analog and digital (spdif) simultanius Realtek
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

On Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:23 PM
Jijo wrote:

Vista output to multiple audio devices
You are required to be a member to post replies. After logging in or becoming a member, you will be redirected back to this page.

Scrolling in WPF Toolkit?s Column Chart
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...umn-chart.aspx
Old August 27th 10, 07:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
no thanks

Default this is simple

I had a similar issue that was easily solved with the Virtual Audio Cable app. You can create as many channels as you want.

create channel 1, have winamp play to channel 1 and output to your speakers.

create channel 2, have WoW play to channel 2 and output to your headset

create channel 3, have your blueray app play to channel 3 and have it output to the HDMI

That's three things going on, with sound going where you want it.

The one limitation seems to be the the app the sound is coming from needs to be able to select the playback device (channel 1,2,3, etc..)

Winamp does this, iTunes does not

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

On Saturday, September 08, 2007 4:16 AM Alexander V wrote:

I also have the same problem- I live in an apartment, and I have my
computer/computer speakers in one room and a projector/theater speakers in
the other. I have both video and audio hooked up to the room with the
projector (via a vga extension and SP/DIF out), for using windows media
center and occasionally playing games on a larger screen.

However, even though I have both sets of speakers connected the same
computer, there is no way to output audio through both at the same time. I
can choose between either, but each time I change the default audio output,
any new programs use exclusively those speakers. This ruins my plans of being
able to stream music through the entire floor.

From what I can tell, Vista does not allow multiple outputs (as backwards

"Kevin" wrote in message
On Mar 25, 4:27 pm, Dan wrote:

notice we are on a google group requesting this? Maybe we need to
take this up with Microsoft.
I am using KO500 bluetooth speakers in everyroom of my house with this
computer in the middle while wearing S9 headsets with speakers
connected directly to this computer.. Yes.. not only would it be great
to output to multiple devices but to select which programs map to
which outputs would rock.

On Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:53 PM Kevin wrote:

On Mar 25, 4:27=A0pm, Dan wrote:
takes

ain
I've

SPDIF
ny

nt?

V with
any
mply

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 5:06 PM Patrick Rogan wrote:

[...]

AJAX Web Service Driven Customers Table With Customer Details
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...r-details.aspx

Old October 13th 10, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rhodri MM-D

Default Audio via multiple outputs (and devices)

Hi i have a fix for this (thank god) and you have to download Vitual Audio Cable (the pirate bay has a full version or you could google for the trial) and then follow these instructions.
How to do it:
1) Create one virtual audio cable. Is already created after install, it is called "Virtual Cable 1". You don't have to modify anything.
2) Run "Audio Repeater (KS)" from Start menu.
3) In the Wave In combo select "Virtual Cable 1".
4) In the Wave Out combo select "Audio Speaker" (depends on computer).
5) Click Start
6) Run SECOND "Audio Repeater (KS) from Start menu.
7) In the Wave In combo select "Virtual Cable 1".
8) In the Wave Out combo select "Audio SPDIF Out" (depends on computer).
9) Click Start
10) Run Windows Media Player, go to menu Tools, Options, Devices, double click Speakers, select Virtual Audio Cable, click OK 2x.
11) Play audio in the player
12) Enjoy never before possible multiple output audio playback!
13) And yes I fully agree that Microsoft developers are a bunch of morons!

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

On Saturday, September 08, 2007 4:16 AM Alexander V wrote:

I also have the same problem- I live in an apartment, and I have my
computer/computer speakers in one room and a projector/theater speakers in
the other. I have both video and audio hooked up to the room with the
projector (via a vga extension and SP/DIF out), for using windows media
center and occasionally playing games on a larger screen.

However, even though I have both sets of speakers connected the same
computer, there is no way to output audio through both at the same time. I
can choose between either, but each time I change the default audio output,
any new programs use exclusively those speakers. This ruins my plans of being
able to stream music through the entire floor.

From what I can tell, Vista does not allow multiple outputs (as backwards

"Kevin" wrote in message
On Mar 25, 4:27 pm, Dan wrote:

notice we are on a google group requesting this? Maybe we need to
take this up with Microsoft.
I am using KO500 bluetooth speakers in everyroom of my house with this
computer in the middle while wearing S9 headsets with speakers
connected directly to this computer.. Yes.. not only would it be great
to output to multiple devices but to select which programs map to
which outputs would rock.

On Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:53 PM Kevin wrote:

On Mar 25, 4:27=A0pm, Dan wrote:
takes

ain
I've

SPDIF
ny

nt?

V with
any
mply

On Friday, August 27, 2010 3:51 PM no thanks wrote:

I had a similar issue that was easily solved with the Virtual Audio Cable app. You can create as many channels as you want.

create channel 1, have winamp play to channel 1 and output to your speakers.

create channel 2, have WoW play to channel 2 and output to your headset

create channel 3, have your blueray app play to channel 3 and have it output to the HDMI

That's three things going on, with sound going where you want it.

The one limitation seems to be the the app the sound is coming from needs to be able to select the playback device (channel 1,2,3, etc..)

Winamp does this, iTunes does not

SharePoint WorkFlow Basics
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ow-basics.aspx