Accessing DVD/CD blue screens PC

Old July 2nd 07, 12:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tribe

Default Accessing DVD/CD blue screens PC

Having followed the instructions in "DVD/CD suddenly stops working
(GMA-4082N)" I can now see my DVD/CD as normal. Now when I insert any DVD or
CD, blank or otherwise, my PC now blue screens with the message
"APC_Index_Mismatch". Searching the web reveals its a kernel error, which is
nice.
Any help appreciated.
Old July 2nd 07, 02:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Tribe,

I did a google search on "troubleshooting apc_index_mismatch vista" (no
quotes) and got a lot of hits. The following seems to me to be a good one
(it applies to Win2K, but the condition is the same in Vista). I just copied
it:

Error Message:
STOP: 0x00000001 (parameter, parameter, parameter, parameter)
APC_INDEX_MISMATCH

Explanation:
This is a Windows 2000 Executive character-mode STOP message. It indicates a
mismatch of thread and asynchronous procedure call (APC) indexes. The most
common reason to see this message is if a file system has a mismatched number
of KeEnterCriticalRegion compared to KeLeaveCriticalRegion.

User Action:
If this is the first time you have booted after installing new hardware,
remove the hardware and boot again. Check the Microsoft Hardware
Compatibility List to verify that the hardware and its drivers are compatible
with Windows 2000. For information about the hardware, contact the supplier.
If you are installing Windows 2000 for the first time, check the Windows 2000
system requirements, including the amount of RAM and disk space required to
load the operating system. Also, check the Hardware Compatibility List to
verify that the system can run Windows 2000. If Windows 2000 is loaded and no
new hardware has been installed, reboot with recovery options set to create a
dump file. If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good
option when you reboot. If there is no Last Known Good configuration, try
using the Emergency Repair Disk. If you do not have an Emergency Repair Disk,
contact your technical support group.

Unquote

Another poster on a site explained that he solved this error by removing
some RAM that tested bad using a memory tester (Vista has a built-in mem
tester). Another site had a post by a person who solved this error condition
by removing 2 GB of 4 GB of RAM he had installed. Apparently, his
motherboard and BIOS didn't support 4 GB of RAM. Anyway, to get more
information, if this isn't sufficient, try using google and search on the
criteria as indicated above.

Let us know how this turns out for you.
--
freddy

Old July 2nd 07, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tribe

Freddy,
Thank you for your reply. I read the same MSDN page on Win 2000 and tried
the suggestions with the exception of the emergency repair disk. I also
tested the RAM (no problems found) but I'm afraid the problem remains.
Further suggestions most welcome.

Old July 2nd 07, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Tribe,

I can't provide more or better information than that which can be found on
the Internet. Perhaps someone else?
--
freddy

Old July 4th 07, 07:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
motarola2

try a system restore first
if the problem continues go to the drive manager and uninstall the DVD
drive, then restart. try to find a driver or firmware update for your
DVD drive.

if the issue continues try running a chkdsk /r (it is better if you run
it fron the recovery console (using you windows recovery CD))
reinstall windows if the issue continues

--
motarola2
Old July 4th 07, 08:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tribe

Thank you motarola2.

I've found no Microsoft information enabling me to deal with this issue, so
I've formatted the drive and re-installed. I haven't had to do that since
Windows 98!
It's all working normally now, for the moment.
The most positive thing I can say on the subject is, "C'mon Vista SP1!!".