Old March 14th 08, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Default upgrade to 64 bit

The link you provided appears to be correct since Core Duo CPUs do not have
EM64T support whereas the Core 2 Duo and Pentium Dual Core D series CPUs
do.

Following is another link that states this:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...n_the_desktop/

Also I could find no statement at the Intel Website that states that Core
Duo chips have EM64T support.

"JW" wrote in message
Do you disagree with the following link or am I misinterpreting it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core

"xGamer" wrote in message
All Core Duo processors feature EM64T.

So the one you listed, will run Vista x64. It won't be much of a
difference
over a core 2 duo processor because EM64T is sorta like a software based
driver where as core 2 duo processors are directly supported with Vista.

But still, you can run x64. I have a Pentuim D 820, I run x64 vista.

Chris

"guitardude" wrote:

Hi, I am currently running 32 bit Vista Home Premium, but I am
considering
upgrading to Vista Ultimate and the 64 bit version if I can. How do I
find
out If my hardware can support a 64 bit OS? Thanks in advance,
guitardude