Windows Vista No Longer in Free Fall

Old August 29th 06, 02:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
michael e dziatkowicz

Default Windows Vista No Longer in Free Fall

My question is how did kevin get 5536 since it's not on msdn or technet?
"MICHAEL" wrote in message

wrote in message
And, I completely disagree with PT's Review of Windows Vista Build 5536,
Just FYI.

WTF are you talking about? Paul said,
"The latest one, build 5536, an
RC1 escrow build, is simply wonderful."

You think 5536 sucks?

P.S. Windows Vista Build 5536 is 100% Stable on my Dell XPS 600, Just
FYI.

That's lovely.

P.P.S. In Response to Your Earlier Post, Microsoft did Finally Come to
Their Senses, and Changed my Windows Vista Beta Test Status from Declined
to Active, so I am not a Windows Vista Pirate, I acquired Build 5536 The
Legal Way, Just FYI.

My "earlier post"? WTF are you talking about?

Please, if you really do have some mental problem-
take your medication and/or tell to your doctor that
you are having severe problems.

I have a cousin that is mentally retarded and acts
far better than you do.

--
Michael
______

Old August 29th 06, 02:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Guest

It's Simple, Microsoft Re-Activated me on Windows Vista Connect, Just FYI.

P.S. You can get it too if you find the Correct Microsoft Public Download
Website.

P.P.S. You better hurry up and find it, because it will only be open for
the first 100,000 Download's.

P.P.P.S. Since the Download Location has already been revealed in the
Private Newsgroup's, I am NOT allowed to Post the Location here without
Violating The Microsoft Connect TOS Agreement, You will need to find it
yourself, Just FYI.

. ..

Old August 29th 06, 05:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Intel Inside

He's very insecure Jason.

"Jason" wrote in message
It really doesn't bother me that they didn't release this build to TechNet
Plus or MSDN. Unlike you, I can wait for RC1 instead of crying about every
little build that I do not have access to.
wrote in message
I Just got my MSDN Official Reply From Andy Boyd in the MSDN Public
Newsgroup, and it looks like MSDN and Microsoft Tech Net Plus Tester's Will
Have to Wait Until RC1 Comes Out in a Few Weeks, Just FYI. Sorry Jason.

wrote in message
news
I would further note that I see no reason why MSDN and Tech Net Plus Should
Not get this Build, Just FYI.

Would somebody care to explain to me why Build 5536 Should Not be
Designated RC1?

Is there some type of Show Stopper Bug in Build 5536? I certainly have
Not Found it yet, Just FYI.

wrote in message
And, I completely disagree with PT's Review of Windows Vista Build 5536,
Just FYI.

P.S. Windows Vista Build 5536 is 100% Stable on my Dell XPS 600, Just
FYI.

P.P.S. In Response to Your Earlier Post, Microsoft did Finally Come to
Their Senses, and Changed my Windows Vista Beta Test Status from Declined
to Active, so I am not a Windows Vista Pirate, I acquired Build 5536 The
Legal Way, Just FYI.

"MICHAEL" wrote in message
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_5536.asp

Windows Vista Build 5536 Review
And just like that, we can suddenly see the light at the end of the
tunnel. All of our hopes, all of our worries, all of whatever feelings
we may have for Windows Vista are hanging on the edge of a precipice.
Will they ship it on time? Will they ever ship it? Does it even matter?

Increasingly, the actual ship date for Windows Vista does not matter,
but not for the reasons you may suspect. Microsoft will ship Windows
Vista exactly when they want to, according to the schedule they
previously laid out. They're not delaying it any further, and after
releasing the product to manufacturing in late October 2006, businesses
can expect to get it via volume licensing in November, followed by
consumers and general availability in late January 2007.

Before any of that can happen, however, we have a final milestone to
cross. It's called Release Candidate 1 (RC1) and I expect to be writing
a lengthy review of that build--currently slated as build 5552, though
of course these things change regularly on an ongoing basis--sometime in
about two weeks. For now, however, we have the next best thing, a
pre-RC1 interim build, 5536, that offers a peak at many of the best
changes Microsoft has made to Windows Vista since the lackluster Beta 2
build.
Windows Vista build 5536, by contrast, is a humdinger.

I've been like a bipolar pit bull when it comes to Windows Vista lately.
Some builds have been fantastic (at least compared to what came
previously). Some have been positively embarrassingly bad. I just spent
the past three weeks in France with two Windows Vista-based notebooks
and it was like being imprisoned with vipers in the dark: I never knew
when I was going to be bit. Windows Vista build 5472, the previous
milestone testers received, was, shall we say, performance challenged.
There were weird issues deleting desktop files. There was a Recent Items
entry in the Start Menu that, curiously, did not actually contain
recently accessed items. It was, in short, a bit disappointing.

Windows Vista build 5536, again, is a humdinger.

What's new in build 5536?
So what's new in 5536, you ask? Performance is better, even much better.
(Though the three times performance improvement baloney you might have
read elsewhere is not only impossible but untrue.) It does a much better
job of finding and correctly installing device drivers: On my main
desktop, even the sound driver worked automatically after the first
Windows Update run, a first.

Microsoft's fledgling Windows Live services have been integrated,
annoyingly, into the system. On the good news front, this "integration"
isn't as technically silly as what the company did earlier with such
components as Internet Explorer and Windows Messenger. But it is equally
annoying.

Instead of installing various Windows Live components by default--which
would have been a bad move, not just for antitrust reasons, but because
of their constantly updating nature--Microsoft is including numerous
shortcuts to various Windows Live services throughout the system. In
Welcome Center, for example, there is a new "Offers from Microsoft"
section that includes no fewer than seven icons for Microsoft services,
five of which are Windows Live services: "Go online to learn about
Windows Live," "Download Windows Live Toolbar," "Sign up for Windows
Live OneCare" (which, naturally, doesn't work during the beta anyway),
"Go online to Windows Marketplace," "Download Windows Live Mail
Desktop," "Download Windows Live Messenger," and "Sign up online for
technical support."

Additionally, there is an item called "Windows Live Messenger Download"
right in the default Start Menu. As expected, clicking this item
launches Internet Explorer, which navigates to the Windows Live
Messenger download page online. Unexpectedly, once you download and
install Windows Live Messenger, the "Windows Live Messenger Download"
link remains in your Start Menu. Silly.

And speaking of Internet Explorer, the most annoying aspect of the
Windows Live integration in Vista occurs in everyone's favorite new Web
browser: My default, IE 7 launches with two home pages, one in each tab.
The first and topmost home page is MSN.com, just like before. But the
secondary page displays the Windows Live Search site. Big deal, right?
The problem is that by opening two tabs at startup, Microsoft is
ensuring that most users--i.e. "normal people"--will see an annoying "Do
you want to close all tabs?" alert dialog every time they close IE.
That's just wrong.

(This isn't really notable per se, but IE's About dialog still uses the
"Internet Explorer 7+" naming that Microsoft says it is dropping.)

User Account Control (UAC) has been dramatically improved and let me be
among the first to throw out a hearty "thank you" to the UAC team for
that. Now, instead of the stunningly annoying "pop" that used to occur
every time one of the UAC alert dialogs appeared, the transition is
smooth and there is a soft, almost enjoyable, beep sound. This is
literally the first time I didn't reach for the "remove UAC" option
after installing a recent Vista build. Bravo.

Special shell folders like Documents, Pictures, Favorites, and Music
(but not, curiously, the still second rate Videos) are now color coded
in greenish blue to differentiate them from other folders (which are
still yellowish). Saved searches are also differentiated, using a soft
blue color.

Windows Update now prompts you to install Microsoft Update so that you
can get updates for other Microsoft products, like Microsoft Office,
directly through Windows Update. If you click on this link, you're
brought to a Web page, which you have to click a single OK box, and then
you're done. Simple.

There's a new shortcut to the Program Compatibility Wizard on the
desktop, so you can try and make Vista-unaware applications work
properly. Microsoft warns, however, that you should not use this
wizard-based application with older virus detection, backup, or system
programs. The problem is, many users won't understand what that means.
What, exactly, is a "system" program?

Windows Media Center shows, perhaps, the biggest performance improvement
of any Vista component. The application almost pops to life and, using
the "Express" setup option, can be in use almost immediately. I won't be
trying to put Media Center on my family's Media Center PC again until
RC1 hits, but it's clear that something wonderful has happened here.

In the Personalize section of Control Panel, there are a number of major
improvements. First, when you right-click the desktop, you'll see that
the Personalize option has a new icon next to it, making it more
prominent and obvious. In Windows Color and Appearance, the default
color schemes now have simple color names (Default, Graphite, Blue,
Teal, Red, Orange, Pink, and, my favorite, Frost). In Desktop
Background, all of the background types (Black and White, Light Auras,
etc.) are together in a single list; you no longer have to choose
between each type.

As I had hoped, Microsoft augmented the Windows Aero mouse pointer with
large and extra large variants. Now if they could just ship black
versions too, it would be perfect.

The "shield" icon you see in the system tray for Windows Security Alerts
can now be colored yellow or red, depending on the level of warning it's
trying to communicate. For example, the lack of virus protection now
rates a yellow warning, and not the more risky red alert.

There's probably more, but I don't want to take away too much from my
upcoming RC1 review, and to be fair, I've only been working with the
build since last night. (Too, I just spent an entire day traveling back
from France, so I hope it's understandable that this is necessarily
short.)

Conclusions
There's no doubt about it: Windows Vista has taken too long to ship, and
the first major milestone that Microsoft shipped to the public, Beta 2,
was a disappointment. Since then, the company has shipped three
promising interim builds to testers. The latest one, build 5536, an RC1
escrow build, is simply wonderful. If this build represents the quality,
performance, and functionality that users can expect to see in RC1 and
the final release, then Microsoft will have gone a long way towards
making up for its mistakes and miscalculations. My only question is why
we had to wait so long to see a build this good. If you can get your
hands on 5536, enjoy it. If not, RC1 will be publicly available. Either
way, you likely won't be disappointed.

--Paul Thurrott
August 25-26, 2006

--
Michael
______

Old August 29th 06, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Homer J. Simpson

I did not read the Whole Story before I replied, but I did notice the
following: "Windows Vista build 5536, by contrast, is a humdinger." That
is the Statement that I disagree with.

Wait...you've already said 5536 works fine on your machine...

I think you need to get your dictionary out.