SD Card for ReadyBoost?

Old July 8th 07, 06:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
beto666

Default SD Card for ReadyBoost?

Does anybody know what are the requirements for an SD card to function
in readyboost helping in the performance of Vista? I have tested some
over here (Toshiba 256MB, Kingston 2GB), but the system says it's not
readyboost compatible! Does it have to do with the speed of the SD?

--
beto666
Old July 8th 07, 07:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob J

Read article attached - (It will shed some light)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...3/VistaKernel/
--
Regards
Bob J

Old July 8th 07, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
beto666

Thank you VERY much, Bob. The article was away too clarifying. I
understood that, if we have a flash memory device which happens to be
between 256MB and 32GB in size, with a transfer rate of 2.5MB/s or
higher for random 4KB reads, also with a transfer rate of 1.75MB/s or
higher for random 512KB writes, then ReadyBoost will be ready to
dedicate up to 4GB of the storage for disk caching. I also take in that
this "storage" will be performed in the Hard Disk Drive, correct me if
I'm wrong. So I should go after a memory flash card which fulfills the
requirements stated in the article. Thanx again for your time. Anything
I discover from my testings will be posted here.

--
beto666
Old July 8th 07, 01:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob J

If you Google search - Readyboost, read/write test - there a few site that
will give you some test result of some flash drives.
Happy Hunting
--
Regards
Bob J

Old July 8th 07, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
beto666

Hello again Bob. I bought a SanDisk 1GB flash with 10MB/s read (66x) and
9MB/s write (60x) according to manufacturer's info on package. It worked
OK and I assigned max space for readyboost cache file storage. I noticed
there's a bit of better performence for loading usual apps (Word,
Photoshop, Mail, etc.), and a tiny bit of improvement during shutdown.
I'm runnign Vista Ultimate and have 2GBRAM DDR2. I did it becuase I
can't afford to have 2GB RAM modules for the moment, and flash cards are
quite cheap, and becoming cheaper. When I shutdown I have to assign
readytboost manually again, for it comes zero after boot up. Do you know
how I can make the system use it every time I boot up automatically?
Thanx again.

--
beto666
Old July 8th 07, 07:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

After the boot cycle is complete and for after he first 90 seconds the ready
boost card only acts as a cache for virtual memory and does not add to your
main memory capacity at all.
During boot it records the programs you load and then updates the prefetch
file so that the next time the system will boot faster.
Is your card plugged directly into your computer or is it plugged into a
card reader? Mine is plugged directly into my computer and does not have to
be reset after each boot.

Old July 8th 07, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
beto666

Thanx JW. BTW, not in card reader, plugged directly into lappie, a
Toshiba A200 TR4, Intel Centrino Duo. Now everything is OK. Card is
readyboost after shutdown/power on cycle. Recording prefetch OK. Is it
all right to remove the card with PC off? I think I have to keep it in
slot when machine is off, but does not make sense at all. Livin' and
learnin'!

--
beto666
Old July 8th 07, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

No you certainly don't have to keep it in the machine when it is off. Just
put it back in before you turn the machine back on. I just leave mine in my
laptop all the time since I have reason not to.

Old August 10th 07, 01:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Toph

Hello,

Thanks for the link, it was helpful. I have a new Lenovo Thinkpad T61 with
Intel Turbo Boost memory. I have enabled "readydrive" and "Readyboost" in
the Intel Turbo Boost memory control panel. I didn't know I was ordering
this, but I think I have a H-HDD: when I look at the hardware settings for my
hard drive, in the NV Cache Tab I get this message:

"This device has 387 MB of NV (non volatile) cache and can help
improve system performance. If using this disk as a Hybrid Hard Disc
is enabled, the disk can provide power savings and optimize the boot
and resume times of the system. The use of this disk as a Hybrid Hard
Disk can be turned on or off by the group policy administrators."

So, my questions a

(1) If I've turned on Readyboost and Readydrive, am I getting the
advantage of that 387MB NV Cache, despite this cryptic message? Is
there a way to know if it is activated?

(2) If not, what are 'group policy administrators' and how do I change
that setting. I figured that I am the group policy administrator as
it's my laptop. But I couldn't find anything either on the web or in
the Administrative Tools program.

(3) Is 'Turbo Boost' just some built in NAND for Ready boost, same as if you
plug in a media card or USB key?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris