DVD Burner Stopped Working

Old July 12th 07, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ernie

Default DVD Burner Stopped Working

Samsung burner has been working for 3 months plus under Vista Business. Today
I tried to do a backup with Windows One Live Care and the burner keeps saying
there is no media in the drive?
Old July 12th 07, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Ernie,

Does the drive work while using some other burner application? (Windows has
a built-in burning capability. Also, Windows Media Player can burn.) If it
does work, then the problem is between the backup program and the drive
and/or the media. Perhaps the backup feature doesn't recognize the media.
Try a different brand of disk. Post back of your conclusion.
--
freddy

Old July 12th 07, 05:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ernie

Burner/Player will read DVDs that are already written to, but will not
recognize that there is a blank disc in the burner. Windows Media Player
won't burn either. Device manager says the burner is OK?

Old July 12th 07, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Ernie,

In Device Manager, under Properties for the drive, select uninstall and
reboot. The idea is to force Windows to reinstall the drive when it boots
and to set everything right. Post back.
--
freddy

Old July 12th 07, 05:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Ernie,

Here is what one other person posted about Vista backup not long ago:

"I could be wrong, but I think Windows Backup has some problems of its own.
I'm trying out the Windows Live One Care, which has a backup program very
similar to the Vista backup program (I expect using some of the same code),
and I have lots of problems with the program not recognizing DVD disks that
it made and verified. It will then say the disk isn't in the drive or isn't
a valid backup disk. Of course, this is a slightly different type of error,
but it is possible your drive is fine but the backup program is just not
working correctly."

Maybe that's the problem. However, how does that explain the fact that
other burners don't work on your system? Is there more to this than meets
the eye? I'll do some more looking around.
--
freddy

Old July 12th 07, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ernie

OK. I uninstalled the device in question and rebooted. Windows found the
drive and installed the proper driver for same. I still cannot backup the
files using Windows One Live care backup? Is it possible that the burner
portion of the drive went bad? I mean it still can read a DVD that has a
program on it, but it keeps telling me there's no disc in the drive when I
use backup?

Old July 12th 07, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Ernie,

It seems others have had the same problem using Live OneCare, according to
my other post. I've googled the error of "no media in drive" and found that
this is a common problem. Got lots of hits, but no definite fixes.

According to what I saw on the Internet, this problem can be caused by
several conditions, including the drive needing a firmware update. Older
drives have firmware that don't recognize the media that's in the drive, but
the firmware takes care of that. Another possibility is that the drive is
going bad. The laser in the drive could be faulty. In addition, another
burner application, like Nero, could be causing the problem. These
situations are hard to diagnose because of these multiple possibilities.

You likely will simply have to go through various troubleshooting steps to
see whether you can identify the issue. Try another backup application, for
example. Maybe even replace the drive. Try using a different brand of
media. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm flat out of ideas. Anyone else?
--
freddy

Old July 12th 07, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
ernie

Just a quick update. Apparently the burner did not like the type of DVD I was
trying to use. I placed a CD-R in the drive and was able to do the backup.
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to check the manufactuer's web site to
get more info on what types of media will work in this drive. Again, thanks
for the help.

Old July 12th 07, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Ernie,

You are a lucky man.
--
freddy

Old August 2nd 07, 09:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barrie

"freddy" wrote:

Ernie,

You are a lucky man.