Reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Vista

Old July 17th 07, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Gnavicks

Default Reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Vista

Directly on the Redistributing Windows Vista Print Drivers page:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...rv_redist.mspx it says
"Note: These packages are not intended for use on Windows Vista and
later releases and driver setup packages should not attempt to install
these packages on Windows Vista. The XPSDrv system components are
pre-installed on Windows Vista and later releases."

I guess the only real solution to this problem is to repair Vista. I
don't think I'm going that far to reinstall the XPS printer. I sent an
email to about this problem so maybe I'll get a
response back soon.

--
Gnavicks
Gnavicks's Profile:

http://forums.techarena.in

Old July 17th 07, 11:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

Read Adrians solution and add the printer using the Add Printer Wizard.

The drivers are list in the manufacture model page unless you have a
corrupted infcache.1 file.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Old July 18th 07, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Gnavicks

Yes, the XPS printer is now listed under the Printer list of the
"Microsoft" manufacturer list, but only because I browsed to
"C:\Windows\System32\spool\tools\Microsoft XPS Document Writer." Like I
said before, the wizard attempts to install the printer on the local
XPSPort but it fails with the message "Printer Driver was not
installed. Unable to find a core driver pacakge that is required by the
printer driver package."

I believe the printer was removed from the list you are talking about
because I deleted the "driver and driver package" from the Drivers tab
on the Printer Server Properties.

Old July 18th 07, 07:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Alan Morris [MSFT]

I just removed the Driver Package and that did not prevent me from
reinstalling the driver and printer

here are the files that are required for the XPS printer

06/26/2007 06:00 AM 763,904 mxdwdrv.dll
06/26/2007 06:03 AM 198,144 mxdwdui.dll
11/02/2006 05:34 AM 67,628 mxdwdui.gpd
11/02/2006 05:34 AM 42 mxdwdui.ini
06/26/2007 06:00 AM 23,812 STDDTYPE.GDL
06/26/2007 06:00 AM 14,362 STDNAMES.GPD
06/26/2007 06:00 AM 59,116 STDSCHEM.GDL
06/26/2007 06:00 AM 2,278 STDSCHMX.GDL
06/26/2007 06:00 AM 373,248 UNIDRV.DLL
06/26/2007 06:00 AM 21,225 unidrv.hlp
06/26/2007 06:00 AM 744,448 unidrvui.dll
06/26/2007 06:00 AM 761,856 UNIRES.DLL
06/26/2007 06:00 AM 1,675,776 XPSSVCS.DLL

Old July 18th 07, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Gnavicks

Alan,

I copied those files from another Vista installation but I am unsure
about what to do with them.

I also did step 13 in this document while trying to repair my Adobe PDF
printer a while back.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowled....cfm?id=333221

I have since gotten all my printers to reinstall, just not the XPS
one.

Step 13 of the Adobe document told me to search
http://support.microsoft.com for the 810894 article. I did the
following in that article.

I started Windows Explorer, and then deleted all files and folders in
the following two folders:

• c:\windows\system32\spool\printers
• c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

I Clicked Start, clicked Run, typed regedit in the Open box, and then
pressed ENTER.

Navigated to and then clicked the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86

Viewed the list of subkeys. Which were only the following:

• Drivers
• Print Processors

I didn't delete any subkeys becuase the above mentioned were the only
ones in there.

I located and then expand the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Environments\Windows
NT x86\Drivers

I expand the Version-x subkey or subkeys, and then delete the printer
driver entries.

Navigated to and then clicked the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Print\Monitors

Viewed the list of subkeys. I only deleted the keys that pertained to
what I was doing so I left the following keys in there.

Bluetooth Printer Port
BP20 Langmon
Local Port
Standard TCP/IP Port
USB Monitor
WSD Port

Then I restarted and reinstalled all my printers. Only the XPS printer
wouldn't reinstall.

Old July 20th 07, 05:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
J.W.

Hello,

I am experiencing the "unable to find a core driver package" error. I'm
looking for a solution as well. In my case, I am trying to (re)install a HP
PSC1315 printer.

In my case, it begain when I could not install any USB devices without
problems. I had deleted the infcache.1 file as suggested by others. I was
finally clued into what was going wrong by looking at the report files
located in c:\Windows\WER\ReportQueue. (There's probably a more appropriate
location to find the information.)

Basically, the installation wasn't successful because "The system cannot
find the file specified." Somehow, it was only looking for the driver files
in the c:\Windows\inf directory.

After copying the driver file to this directory, I was successful in
installing my USB devices.

Since you know (from the previous post) what files need to be copied, and
you have those files from another Vista installation, you might want to try
to put them to the c:\Windows\inf directory. I don't know if this will
work, but it may be worth a try.

Regards,
J.W.

Old July 20th 07, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Gnavicks

J.W.,

I combined the files from the other Vista installation and the files
from the "C:\Windows\System32\spool\tools\Microsoft XPS Document
Writer" folder and put them in a folder called "XPS" and copied it to
the "C:\Windows\inf" directory and then tried to install the MXDW on
the XPSPort; it didn't work.

Now at least Vista is prompting me to "Provide a printer driver." I
believe it was asking for the Vista install DVD; I put that in but it
didn't work anyway.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Old July 22nd 07, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
BillR [MVP]

I'd set a Restore Point and then try it (possibly install in XP
compatibility mode).
You are missing the sub-system and that should install it. Whether it works
or not is another story.

It seems easier to try than a full system repair.

--
Bill R MVP

Old July 22nd 07, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Gnavicks[_2_]

BillR,

Are you saying that I should install the MXDW in XP Compatibility Mode?
How do I do that if I don't have an executable file?

Old July 23rd 07, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
BillR [MVP]

that's what I'd try but I'd back up the system by setting a Restore point
first.. Will it allow you to download it? Either that or the XPS Experience
pack.

--
Bill R MVP