Reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Vista

Old July 23rd 07, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Gnavicks[_3_]

Default Reinstall Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer in Vista

BillR,

Where would I download MXDW? I think you are referring to the XPS
Essentials Pack but the XPSEP Vista 32 bit.msu file does not have any
options it its properties to run it in XP Compatibility Mode.

--
Gnavicks
Gnavicks's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27892

http://forums.techarena.in

Old July 24th 07, 05:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
BillR [MVP]

I *think* you'd need this:

"The XPSDrv Redist Package (XPSEPSC) contains the system and driver
components that enable the XPSDrv print drivers to be installed and to
enable the XPSDrv filter pipeline component to function. The XPSEPSC will be
redistributed via a executable package (exe). You can access the XPSEPSC
package and redistribution agreement through the Microsoft Connect site,
under the 'Windows Vista XPSDrv Driver Redistribution' program. See
https://connect.microsoft.com for more information.

"

you'd probably need to sign up as a developer.

--
Bill R MVP

Old July 25th 07, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Gnavicks[_4_]

Alan,

You were right! I had a corrupt INFCACHE.1 file. I now have the
Microsoft XPS Document Writer Printer reinstalled on Vista!

The FIX:

1. Type "C:\Windows\inf" into the search box on the start menu.
2. Locate the INFCACHE.1 file and right-click it and select
Properties.
3. On the INFCACHE.1 Properties window tab to the "Security" tab and
click the "Edit" button to change permissions on this file.
4. On the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window click the "Add" button.
5. On the Select Users or Groups window click the "Advanced" button.
6. A new Select Users or Groups window will open and then click the
"Find Now" button.
7. The search results are sorted alphabetically; locate the username
you logon to Windows with and then double-click.
8. Under the "Enter the objects names to select..." you should see
something like this _YOURCOMPUTERNAME\Yourusername_.
9. Now click the OK button.
10. You will now return to the Permissions for INFCACHE.1 window.
11. Under the Permissions for Yourusername you need to tick "Full
Control" under the Allow column. Click the "Apply" button and then the
"OK" button.
12. You will be prompted with a "Windows Security" window, just click
the "Yes" button and continue.
13. Delete the INFCACHE.1 file.
14. Restart your computer.
15. Open the Printers folder.
16. Click the "Add a printer" button.
17. Select "Add a local printer."
18. Select the XPSPort on the "Use an existing port" radio button and
click the "Next" button.
19. Locate Microsoft under the Manufacturer and Microsoft XPS Document
Writer under the Printers and click the "Next" button.
20. If prompted to "replace the current driver," do so and click the
"Next" button.
21. Chose a name for the printer and you're done!

P.S. This trick works for the Adobe PDF printer as well.

Old July 25th 07, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Sally

Yippee!!
I have been following your saga with great interest!
Old July 26th 07, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Gnavicks[_5_]

Quite the saga actually, I hope that I've helped others with this same
problem. And thanks to everyone else who helped!

Old October 30th 08, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
shalumsc

Hi all,

I did not get any option here to post new thread.So I am posting
my Forum here.Sorry for that.My issue is

I uninstalled Microsoft XPS Document Writer using 'XPS Removal Tool'.I
want to reinstall it using the following steps.
1)Control panel
2) Clicked on Printers in Classic View
3) On menu bar clicked on "Add a Printer"
4) On the dialog box that pops up - click on "Add a local printer"
5) Selected "Use an existing port:" and selected "XPS port: (local
port)" from the drop down menu -- clicked next
6) In the dialog box that pops up select "Microsoft" under
Manufacturer and "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" under printers
7) Click next and on next page select Replace the current driver
8) Click next and finish.But in 5)step I am not getting the option
"XPS port: (local port)" in the drop down menu.can any one tell me the
solution and where Microsoft XPS Document Writer print driver is
located in System.

--
shalumsc
shalumsc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/shalumsc.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old November 29th 09, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
jcmunioz

The final solution

I had the same problem on a Windows XP machine which had problems
printing to a Canon 320. I uninstalled *all* the printers, including the
XPS printer, and when I tried to reinstall it, it wouldn't show
-Microsoft- as a manufacturer or XPS as a printer.

The solution finally was to add the *-Text only- printer from the
-Generic manufacturer-*, and then, on the printer properties, change the
driver to Microsoft XPS. This worked perfectly.

I hope this helps.

--
jcmunioz
jcmunioz's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/159300.htm