SATA Drive unrecognized in Vista Ultimate

Old July 13th 07, 04:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Albert Trudeau

Default SATA Drive unrecognized in Vista Ultimate

I'm still looking for a solution for my problem.

I have installed a 'secondary' SATA HDD and though you can see it in the
"Disk Management" window (Computer Management Console), there isn't a drive
letter assigned, nor can I assign a drive letter.

The 'Volume' column shows the drive (without an assigned drive letter)
The 'Layout' column shows "Simple" (just like the C: drive)
The 'Type' is "Basic" (just like the C: drive)
The 'File System' is blank (whereas the C: drive shows NTFS)
The 'Status' is "Healthy, (Active, Primary Partition); (whereas the C: drive
is listed as "Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary
Partition))

The only anomaly listed above is under the "%Free" column; this is at 100%
-- which is, of course, false. This is my Backup D: drive that is listed in
Windows XP Professional, etc.

The 'pop-up' menu will only list 'Delete Volume' and 'Help'. All other
selections are unavailable (ghosted out).

This 'glitch' is preventing me from running Vista full-time. I would love
to hear a solution as soon as possible. Thank you.

Albert Trudeau
Old July 13th 07, 04:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

You have to create a partition and format the partition before a drive
letter is assigned. You may have to reboot to get to the finale.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Old July 13th 07, 04:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Albert Trudeau

The partition has been created; NTFS; and there is data (a lot of data!) on
this drive. As I have stated before, this drive was (and still is) my backup
D: drive on Windows XP Professional. This is not a new, unformatted drive.

Old July 13th 07, 11:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Albert,

The problem could be that you created that drive in WinXP, and Vista has a
problem with that. There is something different between the two operating
systems. You may still have to partition and format (in Vista) to get Vista
to recognize the drive. If this is a viable option, backup the data before
you try it. Just a different way of looking at this.
--
freddy

Old July 13th 07, 01:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

The drive has lost it's partition structure or it's partition "type".

This happens occasionally. To my knowledge no one has ever figured out "why"
it happens!

The fix is not for the faint of heart and there is one thing that you
absolutely need to know before you begin. What TYPE of FILE SYSTEM was being
used on the hard drive? If you are 100% certain that you know there is (may
be) a way to recover.

There is a little DOS program included with Partition Magic 8.01. It is
called ptedit. This program can only be used from within "pure DOS". When
you use Partition Magic 8.01 to create the 2 disk floppy set (the DOS
version of Partition Magic) this little program is placed in the set.

You have to boot the computer from disk 1 of the floppy set. Then insert
disk 2 when asked to. After you are in Partition Magic, EXIT from the
program. You will be back at the A: prompt. Re-insert floppy disk 1.

Now, type in ptedit and press enter. The program will start. This program
allows you to change the drive "type". It is imperative that you are certain
that you are working on the correct drive. You can choose drives at the top
of the program window. Once you have chosen the correct drive, click in the
**Line 1 | Type** box.

This will energize the "Set_Type" box at the bottom. Now click the mouse on
the "Set_Type" BOX. Look for the file system that you KNOW was being used.
There are many choices. Choose the correct file system and follow the
instructions from there.

NOTE: If you choose the wrong file system, and commit the change, you may
corrupt any information that is on the drive.

I have successfully recovered about a dozen drives that have gone RAW, or
otherwise lost their partition structure, by using this great little DOS
program.

NOTE: This program CAN NOT be used from within Windows.

And "shame" on the computer manufacturers who deliver new computers without
a floppy drive installed!

There is also a Windows version of ptedit called ptedit32. The usage is the
same. Search Google to find a source for this utility.

Addendum:

I have since been using Acronis Disk Director 10.0 2160 to do these type of
repairs. I have successfully recovered a handful of drives that have become
"confused" as to what they are and what they contain. This program is usable
from within windows.

Old July 13th 07, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Albert,

I don't know whether the following Microsoft KB article applies, but take a
look just in case:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931854

You never know when you're working from a distance.
--
freddy

Old July 15th 07, 03:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Al Trudeau

Thanks Richard.

Yes, I do have this version of Partition Magic, but I have to ask an
important question regarding this method: Will it still work with my XP OS?

I am using removeable SATA HDD racks, and this is how I keep the OS's from
fighting (Linux 'Ubuntu', Windows XP Professional, and Windows Vista
Ultimate). I am using two rack setups; one as the 'Primary' or 'Master' and
one as the 'Slave' or 'Secondary' HDD. So all I have to do (with the
computer off) is take one tray out, and put in another tray with the OS that
I want to work with in a particular computing session....

Sooo, after performing the steps that you laid out, will this drive ALSO be
recognized in Windows XP?

Thanks.

Al Trudeau

Old July 15th 07, 04:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

If the drive has the correct "flipped bits" to identify itself correctly,
any operating system should be able to see it.

I had a case 5 years ago with my own personal computer. I was dual booting
Windows 2000 and Windows XP at the time. You know how you get accustomed to
a specific shutdown, and if something is not right, you know it right away?
Well, when I shut down Windows 2000, instead of the normal 10-15 second
shutdown I was accustomed to the computer shut down instantaneously. I
immediately knew something was not right. Sure enough, on a reboot 3 of my 4
drives were no longer recognized. They were all reading RAW and were
indicated as having no partition.

Neither Windows 2000 nor Windows XP could read the drives. I used PTEDIT to
change the drives back to NTFS format and everything was again OK.

I never found out why it happened and it never occurred again. Two of the
three drive are still being used in my current computer. There have been no
reoccurrences.

Old July 20th 07, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Albert Trudeau

PROBLEM RESOLVED

I found the problem (by accident).

When I was in a Windows XP session, I decided to do a Norton Disk Doctor
check on the drives (C: and D. With the D: drive being the one in question
here!

I couldn't perform this check, until I disabled Norton's GoBack. Well, I
haven't "enabled" Norton GoBack yet. I plugged in the removeable SATA HDD
rack containing Windows Vista Ultimate and booted up. I wanted to find
something on the C: drive, so I went into Windows Explorer. Lo and
behold....the D: drive is now showing!

Why? I am assuming that the Norton GoBack has specific descriptors that
only it (GoBack app) would recognize --- effectively hiding this drive from
Windows Vista. I think that if I installed Norton GoBack here (in Vista) and
had it set for both drives (C: and D that I WOULD be able to see it here.

Anyways, thanks for the help, everybody.