play DVD and system blue screens

Old July 13th 07, 06:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris Williamson

Default play DVD and system blue screens

HELP!! everything works in any media player i've downloaded and tried
EXCEPT DVD movies. i can play dvd rom games, play cd's, watch the
pre-installed videos that come with the players.......just not actual dvd
movies. i'll pop one in and maybe the submenus will appear, but then it
blue screens with a message of "a thread tried to release a resource it did
not own". i have the dvd regions correct, a higher grade computer i built,
and all my drivers are updated. i've googled the hell out of this with no
luck. they're normal, real movies too- not burned or anything. please help
if you can. thanks!

chris

Old July 13th 07, 07:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Spirit

Did you check your system maker for updates? Drivers and BIOS?

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...de=s&cat=False
MS KB Site - Vista - Media Player 11 - 38 hits

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...de=s&cat=False
Media Player 11 DVD - 17 hits

Old July 13th 07, 11:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Chris,

Vista records errors in a report. Review the report: Start Maintenance
Problem Reports and Solutions. Peruse the report for errors contained
therein and focus of any steps recommended to resolve the problem. The
report may disclose a Stop error, which has this type format: 0x0000000X. Or
it may have a number like Code 218 (just example), by which you can search
for an indication of what this problem is. Oftentimes, these type BSODs are
related to memory (RAM) issues of some type. The error reference to
"resource" implies RAM resources. But that's just an assumption. Post back
on what you find.
--
freddy

Old August 2nd 07, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dbworkmansr

Chris, I have the same problem.
I have two DVD drives, one reg 1 and 1 reg 2, sometimes when i put the wrong
reg in the wrong drive the system would blue screen and crash. Now every DVD
crashes the system. Movies I own I copied to a hard drive tell me the movies
are for a region I cannot view. I have a dual boot system, and no problems
with the same movies on the drive booth systems use, in the XP system.
Vista is a program, that was released before its time. With the various
drivers that were necessary to enjoy the system, are long in coming, such as
Creative. One day this will be a good system, after I reinstall it and there
is a service pac released. There is no way to repair windows programs, IE:
Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player. Your stuck. Can't repair or remove
as in other operating systems. This must be addressed.
Right now, Windows XP is far advanced in ease of operation, and the time
that Vista uses for backup, which is worthless on a dual boot system.