Invalid System Disk

Old July 14th 07, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cheesegrater

Default Invalid System Disk

My brother has a windows vista basic pc he just got. He set it up a few days
ago, and used it numerous times with no issues. Now, when he turns it on, he
gets a message saying, "Invalid System Disk. Please insert disk and press any
key." or something in that form. If he reboots it and hits F12 on the Acer
logo screen, then selects his hard drive from a list, it works and loads
fine. After rebooting it again though, he has the same problem. All the
cables are connected properly in the computer. Could anybody help me? We
spoke with a techician and she couldn't help us.
Old July 14th 07, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke

Cheesegrater wrote:
My brother has a windows vista basic pc he just got. He set it up a few days
ago, and used it numerous times with no issues. Now, when he turns it on, he
gets a message saying, "Invalid System Disk. Please insert disk and press any
key." or something in that form. If he reboots it and hits F12 on the Acer
logo screen, then selects his hard drive from a list, it works and loads
fine. After rebooting it again though, he has the same problem. All the
cables are connected properly in the computer. Could anybody help me? We
spoke with a techician and she couldn't help us.

Not meaning to hurt your feelings, but is there a floppy or a cd in the
drive? If yes, remove it.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old July 14th 07, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Cheesegrater,

Here is a more complete explanation I found on the Internet:

If you receive an "Invalid System Disk" message when you start up your
computer, there are several possible reasons. The simplest and least dire
reason is that you left a nonbootable floppy disk or CD in the appropriate
drive. If this isn't the case, then another possible reason is that your
booting hard disk drive is not setup properly in the BIOS. You will need to
read your computer documentation in order to know how to get to your BIOS
(often called the System Setup window), and what settings should be applied
for your hard drive.

Another possible reason is that the hard drive has gone bad, or that it is
not connected properly, but if neither of these is the case then the main
other reason for this message occurring is that somehow the bootable files on
the hard drive (such as command.com) have become corrupted or deleted. The
way to recover from this is to boot from a Windows Startup disk or other boot
disk (you did create one, didn't you, by going into Control Panel, Add/Remove
Programs, Startup Disk tab?) and then type this DOS command at the command
prompt A:\

SYS C:

If the command works, you will get a message "System transferred." Then
re-boot your computer.

Make sure that the boot disk was created with the same operating system that
you are trying to boot to! If you don't have a boot disk, and can't borrow
one from a friend or associate, then if you can use a computer that can get
to the internet, you can download the files necessary to create a boot disk
from this web site:

http://www.bootdisk.com
--
freddy

Old July 16th 07, 04:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gary G. Little

hey ... that is so common a mistake every one makes it, and actually a very
good starting place.

--
The personal opinion of
Gary G. Little