SD Memory Card driver

Old July 21st 07, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bill Holland

Default SD Memory Card driver

http://forums.logitech.com/logitech/...essage.id=3755
contains the permanent solution to INFCACHE.1 issues. Of note, I did not
have to boot from the DVD - couldn't if I wanted to as my hard drive is
encrypted. Instead, change the security of the files mentioned in the
article to all Users to have Full Control, then you can delete them. I've
had no further USB drive issues since. I've tried SD, flash card, hard
drive, notebook wireless mouse, and notebook webcam.

"freddy" wrote:

Bill,

Sometimes resolving USB device driver recognition issues like you seem to
have can be resolved by deleting the INFCACHE.1 file, which can get corrupted
with bad data and cause issues like you appear to have. The file is located
at: C:\Windows\inf. There, scroll down to the INFCACHE.1 file and right
click it and select delete. To do this, you will likely have to give
yourself permission to delete it, because of Windows built-in Security.
Just right click the file, select Properties and then click on the security
tab. Let us know whether this procedure does anything. Sometimes it does
and sometimes not.

--
freddy

"Bill Holland" wrote:

It really doesn't matter how it's removed. I can simply remove it, "Safely
Remove It", or use Device Manager, the result is the same. I can use one of
my daughters' laptops (E1505 with Vista Home Premium) and insert, remove,
insert, remove, etc and they work just fine. They are really designed to be
used like a floppy disk. The reader is an ATA device, not a USB device.

"JW" wrote:

I get the option to safely remove my SD card which is installed directly
into my laptop without the use of a set top reader.
However, I agree that it might be better to Uninstall it using device
manager.

"PaulB" wrote in message
Hi,
When you click "safely remove device" you are removing the card reader not
the card. The cards are meant to be removed without clicking anything.
--
Paul

"Bill Holland" wrote:

Running Windows Vista Home Premium on a Dell E1505 with builtin SD Host
Adapter. If I boot with an SD card installed I can use it fine.
However, if
I remove it and later insert it or another one I cannot access the SD
card.
Device Manager shows a yellow triangle with ! on the SD Memory Card under
disk drives. Checking properties shows:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a
previous
instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft
and
to see if there is a solution available.

Check for solutions, of course, yields not solutions. Any ideas how to
solve this?