Partition Lost

Old July 14th 07, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ali

Default Partition Lost

I've a Vista Business on my laptop.
I can't mount my third partition, when I try to mount it
using disk management console I got:
(I can see the partition in the list of partitions, but it can't display
file system type)
"The operation failed to complete because Disk Management Console view is
not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem
persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or
restart computer."

I tried refresh and restart but I got the same error everytime.

The output of diskpart:
DISKPART list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 OEM 6466 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 35 GB 6467 MB
Partition 3 Primary 52 GB 41 GB

DISKPART select partition 3

Partition 3 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART detail partition

Partition 3
Type : 07
Hidden: No
Active: No

There is no volume associated with this partition.

I used Vista recovery DVD and I clicked on repair and then on command prompt.
Everything is fine there and my partition and files are visible!
But I can't get it to work under my Vista.

I also used paragon partition manager and tried to assign a
drive letter to my partition, but it said that the partition is
being used and it didn't work (under safe mode).

Any solutions??
Old October 9th 07, 02:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
gameover

I have the same problem. I can't mount my second partition (there is no
extended partition) under Vista Buisness (x86). Using Disk Management
Console I always get the same error. But in WinXp everything works fine.

Using -diskpart -utility, I notice that there is one difference between
WinXp and Vista. My partitions have different numbers:
WinXp:
0 - partition that I can't mount in Vista
1 - "other" partition
Vista:
2 - partition that I can't mount in Vista
1 - "other" partition

May be its Vista's Bug??? Cause when I used one primary and one logical
partition, everything was fine. But now I use two primary partitions and
I can't mount second primary partition of the one harddisk.

--
gameover
Old July 12th 09, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Romi89

I've got a similar problem. In DiskPart I get:

detail partition

Partition 0
Type : 05
Hidden : No
Active : No

There is no volume associated with this partition.

I have windows vista ultimate 32-bit. Anybody has an answer???

--
Romi89
Old July 13th 09, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
R. C. White

Hi, Romi89.

DiskPart is powerful - which means it can do as much harm as good if you
don't take the time to understand what it can do and how to use it!

Partition 0

In DiskPart, Partition 0 is the Extended Partition. An Extended Partition
is NEVER assigned a "drive" letter. But we can create one or more logical
drives within the Extended Partition. Each of the logical drives can be
assigned a drive letter and individually formatted. In fact, a logical
drive is treated as a partition in many ways. Even in WinXP's Boot.ini,
when we refer to a partition(#), logical drives are counted just like
primary partitions.

I have windows vista ultimate 32-bit. Anybody has an answer???

This treatment relates to the file system, not the operating system. It's
the same in Windows 98 and in Windows 7 x64.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX