Old April 3rd 08, 12:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Bob

Default Low Disk Space in Recovery "D" Vista OS

Mike's advice was spot on.

The problem with your "advice" is it came off like you really knew what you
were talking about but it was totally wrong.
It's good that you're willing to give advice but you need to do a little
research before you do. i.e. The Recovery Drive should NOT be used to store
any files. It only has one purpose which is to restore to factory condition.
------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"davidjchuang" wrote in message

Mike Hall - MVP;668880 Wrote:
"davidjchuang" wrote in
message

Mart;426047 Wrote:
Hi, Mart. You did not tell us what OS (operating system) is your
computer running. Vista Basic?,Vista Home Premium?, Vista Ultimate?
Is
it 32-bit, or 64-bit? You can look them up from your owner manual (
if
you don't know how to do that on your computer ).
Mine is a Home premium 32-bit. I have 2 hard drives and 1 "removable"
DVD-RW drive.
Hard drive #1 is called OS (C )which is a System drive
#2 is called D: which is local drive
The removable drive is self-explanatory. You know, for playing dvd
and
cd.
OS (C) is where all my programs are stored, which is why it has
99.2
GB of space.
D: local drive is where my laptop uses for "files backup", and it has
9.99 GB of space. If you have the same OS as I do, this IS the one
you
CAN TOUCH. You can delete files you don't want , if you know what you
are doing. If you don't, and since you have only 1% of space left,
there
is one quick fix --- for now. It's by compressing what are in the D
drive. Here is how : --
1.) click START ( the logo at the bottom left corner )
2.) a panel will appear. On the right side look for Computer, click
that.
3.) a window will show all your disk drives. Look for your D drive.
Right click on that drive, and click Properties
4.) you should see a pie chart showing how much free space it has
left.
If it is as you said (1%), look for the word COMPRESS, check the box
in
front of the word. You should see the pie chart has changed, giving
you
more space.
5.) also, look for the box that says DISK CLEANUP, click that.
6.) another window will show up, just click OK on that window.
7.) a 3rd window will show up, click DELETE FILES.
That's it --- for now. Do the disk cleanup on a regular basis. The
rest
is up to you to post questions and learn . Good LUck. Please post the
result, thank you.

--
davidjchuang

This is some of the worst advice I have ever seen in a newsgroup..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

This forum is for people to help and learn from one another. Criticism
is counter-productive at best. If you disagree with my idea, point out
the flaws of my idea, so that we can all learn. If you have a much
better way to solve Mart's pressing problem, a way a "beginner" can
understand and follow, tell him, so that he can benefit from your
wisdom. So far, you have done none of the above.

--
davidjchuang