Old April 3rd 08, 12:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Mike Hall - MVP[_3_]

Default Low Disk Space in Recovery "D" Vista OS

"davidjchuang" wrote in message

Bob;670867 Wrote:
I don't understand what you are saying.

You claim to have two hard drives neither of which is removable. Did
you
install an additional internal hard drive? I think you are referring to
the
recovery partition as a separate hard drive which it is not. The
recovery
partition is on the same physical drive as C: drive.

"davidjchuang" wrote in
message

Bob;670773 Wrote:

Thank you, Bob.I am not trying to be arguementative, please tell me
what is the difference of the following : --
Mike said " Whatever backup program you were running has looked for a
drive other than the boot drive, but unfortunately has tried to stuff
the files into the small amount of space needed for the recovery
drive
---"
I said " D: local drive is where my laptop uses for "files
backup----"

Mike said " In the meantime, remove any files that you have backed up
into your recover partition ---"
I said " You can delete files you don't want ----". By that I meant
the
files that were backedup to the D: drive. I never imply
putting/adding
files into the D drive.

I did say right from the start that my OS is home premium, and that I
have 2 hard drives ; OS (C system drive, and D: local drive. My "
files backup " always go to D: drive. Furthermore, I said in no
uncertain term that if his OS is same as mine ---.
So, please tell me where was I totally wrong. I am geniunely eager to
know.

--
davidjchuang

No, sir, I did not. It came that way. I click Computer, and the window
will show :

Hard Disk Drives (2) ________________

(Icon here) OS (C ( showing total GB, and how many left )

(Icon here) Local Disk (D ( showing total GB, and how many left)

Devices with Removable Storage (1) ____________

(Icon here) DVD RW Drive (E

That's how I will see. I'm sorry, I have no idea about those smiling
faces, I did not do it.

--
davidjchuang

David

Check that you do have two physical drives by right clicking on 'Computer'
in the start menu, and selecting 'Manage'. In the window that opens, click
on 'Disk Management' under the 'Storage' heading.

If you do indeed have two drives installed, they will show as drive 0 and
drive 1.

If you can see only drive 0, you will see that it is partitioned into two
parts (C and D)

Some manufacturers (Sony is one of them) do send out machines where the
drive has been partitioned with a reasonably large C drive, and a much
larger D drive such that the user can save large multimedia files.

However, in most cases, the D drive is very small, around 10gb. This means
that the D drive is in fact the recovery partition and should not be
touched.

Backup programs are written to look for any drive letter other than the
letter being used for the boot drive. So, if the only other letter available
is tagged for the recovery partition, it will be selected. Backup programs
don't care what is on the target drive, or how much space is actually
available..

In my opinion, the 'fault' lies squarely with the computer manufacturers,
pumping out computers which look to be well specified but in reality are
only 'adequate'.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..