Keyboard Repeat Delay

Old July 15th 07, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sonicpelican

Default Keyboard Repeat Delay

Changes to the "Keyboard Repeat Delay" settings are not saved. The Keyboard
Repeat Delay has defaulted to "Fast" which means holding down a key for just
a microsecond means 2 or 3 of the same letter is repeated. This happens in
all applications. You can set the delay to "Slow" to fix the problem but
after a reboot it defaults back to "Fast".

Anyone have any answers or having the same problem??
--
Sonic
Old July 15th 07, 10:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Sonicpelican,

Are you setting the keyboard delay in BIOS or somewhere else?
--
freddy

Old July 15th 07, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sonicpelican

Hi Freddy,
I'm changing it under "Control Panel-Hardware and Sound-Keyboard". I
can't find it anywhere in the BIOS and all is working fine with Linux (system
is dual boot).
Cheers,
Sonic

Old July 15th 07, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Sonicpelican,

Some BIOSes include settings for keyboard rate, but others do not, so your
situation is not surprising in this regard. It's hard to tell what may be
the source of your issue, but I found the following keyboard troubleshooting
guide. It may not fit your situation exactly, but perhaps it will provide
some idea on how to proceed to find the problem:

Problems such as you are having typically are caused by driver issues, but
not always. If updating drivers and completing the indicated troubleshooting
steps don't resolve your issues, try contacting the official Microsoft
Support.

This forum is a user's group comprised mostly of users who get together to
help each other. While there are experts who contribute information here, the
official Microsoft Support may have a different approach. Also, download and
install all the Vista updates that are available on the Microsoft update
site. Sometimes you get a fix that way.
--
freddy

Old August 11th 07, 08:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Koley

Ok so I have the exact opposite problem. My keyboard will not repeat at all.
have tried everything i can to get it but even when I update the keyboard
delay through control panel nothing changes. can you help in some way??

Old September 20th 07, 10:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Turkk

I posted this a couple of days ago, didn't see your thread. Still can't fix
the problem!

Our office has recently installed two HP computers (slightly different) both
running Vista Business. With both PCs we have the same problem: when the
machine is put into sleep mode, or shut down, the key repeat rate and repeat
delay speeds reset & slow down. This means that every morning we have to go
into Control Panel & reset both at the highest levels--otherwise the curser
moves slowly & we can't type fast. For some reason Vista just isn't setting
these as 'permanent' settings.
I have spent a great deal of time on the phone with HP and they say it
has to be a software problem in Vista. Any ideas? Many thanks!

--
Turkk

Old September 23rd 07, 03:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Sonicpelican

No body seems to have an answer for this. I have tried manually changing the
registry settings but this has not effect either (perhaps things are
different in Vista). I have also tried to get help from Microsoft Support,
however their website tells me that my copy of Vista is not registered (it
most certainly is). It's a bit concerning that you spend all this money on
software, then have to spend more on hardware to make the software work and
then things still turn to custard. Come on Ubuntu ... step up to the plate.
--
Sonic

Old November 2nd 07, 07:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rick7

I am having the exact same problem as you describe. I am wondering if anyone
has solved this problem. Whenever I come back from Sleep mode, my Keyboard
settings are much slower than they used to be. Thanks for any thoughts.

Old December 21st 09, 06:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Starflare5

Hello all,

This is a very odd issue, but not hard at all to fix. I had a similar
issue in Windows XP. Now first of all, as with all of those weird and
unusual Windows problems, it leads to the Windows Registry. Now, first a
little disclaimer:

Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you
to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems
resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the
information provided at your own risk.

Now on with the issue at hand.

First of all, open regedit by one of the following actions:

Windows XP/2003/2000 Users: Open the Start Menu and click on "Run."
Then type "regedit" without the quotes in the dialogue and press the
Enter key.

Windows Vista and 7 Users: In the search bar at the bottom of the Start
Menu, type "regedit." It should appear in the search list above. Right
mouse click it and select "Run As Administrator," then, confirm and say
"Yes" or "Allow" to the User Account Control dialogues.

The rest from this point is pretty straight forward.

Click the plus sign or drop down arrow next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then
the plus sign or drop arrow next to Control Panel. Look for the key
which will look like a folder marked "Keyboard." There are 2 ways this
entry might be causing an issue. If it is there, it is corrupted. The
second way might be that the key is non-existant.

If the key is there, go ahead at this point, right mouse click it and
click "Delete" and then "Yes." Now, simply recreate the key or folder
only by right mouse clicking the Control Panel key and selecting "New"
and then "Key" and name the key "Keyboard" without the quotes.

Keep regedit open for a test and do not close it yet. Make sure that
you have the Keyboard key entry that you just created highlighted

If the key does not key does not exist, simply create the key or folder
only by right mouse clicking the Control Panel key and selecting "New"
and then "Key" and name the key "Keyboard" without the quotes.

Keep regedit open for a test and do not close it yet. Make sure that
you have the Keyboard key entry that you just created highlighted

Now, go ahead and open Control Panel from the Start Menu.

For those of you in Category View, you want to click on "Printers and
Other Hardware" and then double click on "Keyboard." For those of you in
Classic View, you want to simply double click on "Keyboard."

Now, go ahead and set your sliders, then click "Apply" and then "Ok."
Click back again on regedit and then the F5 key on your keyboard. 2 New
string value entries should appear marked "keyboarddelay\" and
\"keyboardspeed\" with numbers trailing them. make sure that these
entries are there, then, close regedit.

Go ahead now and look back at the Keyboard control panel appplet and
remember the settings that you just made. Now, restart or log off of
your computer and log back in. Go back to Control Panel from the Start
Menu and open the Keyboard applet again and make sure that the settings
are where you left them.

This should definately fix the issue at hand and allow the settings to
stay where they are. It is yet unknown what exactly may cause this entry
to become deleted or corrupted, but, it happens every once in a while on
some computers.

Anyway, I hope this helps alot of you.

Thank you,
Starflare5.