Old April 3rd 08, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
davidjchuang[_129_]

Default Low Disk Space in Recovery "D" Vista OS

Mike Hall - MVP;671112 Wrote:
"davidjchuang" wrote in
message

Bob;670867 Wrote:

No, sir, I did not. It came that way. I click Computer, and the

window
will show :

Hard Disk Drives (2) ________________

(Icon here) OS (C ( showing total GB, and how many left )

(Icon here) Local Disk (D ( showing total GB, and how many left)

Devices with Removable Storage (1) ____________

(Icon here) DVD RW Drive (E

That's how I will see. I'm sorry, I have no idea about those smiling
faces, I did not do it.

--
davidjchuang

David

Check that you do have two physical drives by right clicking on
'Computer'
in the start menu, and selecting 'Manage'. In the window that opens,
click
on 'Disk Management' under the 'Storage' heading.

If you do indeed have two drives installed, they will show as drive 0
and
drive 1.

If you can see only drive 0, you will see that it is partitioned into
two
parts (C and D)

Some manufacturers (Sony is one of them) do send out machines where
the
drive has been partitioned with a reasonably large C drive, and a
much
larger D drive such that the user can save large multimedia files.

However, in most cases, the D drive is very small, around 10gb. This
means
that the D drive is in fact the recovery partition and should not be
touched.

Backup programs are written to look for any drive letter other than
the
letter being used for the boot drive. So, if the only other letter
available
is tagged for the recovery partition, it will be selected. Backup
programs
don't care what is on the target drive, or how much space is actually
available..

In my opinion, the 'fault' lies squarely with the computer
manufacturers,
pumping out computers which look to be well specified but in reality
are
only 'adequate'.

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Thank you, Mike. You are right in both counts. I do NOT have 2 hard
drives, just 1 partitioned to C and D, and the D drive has only 10 GB.
As to the " not to be touched ", I don't really have a choice. There are
2 options on files backup. One is to sit by the computer for 3-4 hours
feeding the damn thing with cds ,which ,by the way , failed twice and
never finished the operation because I aborted it. I aborted it because
1/2 way to the 3rd disk, it asked for reinserting the 1st.disk, when I
did that, it said either "no disk ", or not the right disk, or asked me
for a blank disk if I don't want to write on that disk. The vicious
cycle never ended!
The 2nd option is to backup to D drive (I don't have an external
drive.) When I started a manual backup, system would ask if I choose to
backup to CD/DVD E: drive ,or D: drive. So, I was not doing anything
crazy, ** the system offers the 2 choices **. And I have been using D
for scheduled automatic backup ever since. I hope I have answered fully.

--
davidjchuang