Upgrade Hard Disk in Vista

Old July 15th 07, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Phil

Default Upgrade Hard Disk in Vista

Hi.

I want to replace my existing main internal hdd with a faster, higher
capacity model.
I'm aware there are likely to be be licencing problems after a disk clone.
Will someone please give me a link for the micorosoft recommended process to
follow.

Thanks
Old July 15th 07, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

There is no recommended process. Personally, I'd use whatever utility the
drive manufacture offers for "cloning" the old hard drive to the new one,
then when asked to re-activate just call the telephone number and it will
take only a few minutes.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old July 16th 07, 02:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gary G. Little

I recently upgraded my HDD to 160GB. I used Complete PC Backup to image the
existing drive to an external HDD, installed the new drive, booted to the
Vista DVD, selected System Repair from the install environment and restored
the image to the new disc. Maybe it was because of using Vista to image and
restore, but I did not have to call to re-activate.

Gary

Old July 16th 07, 08:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rutetuti

I recently replaced my older ATA drive with a larger, SATA, drive and used
Acronis True Image. No problems Vista but Adobe Acrobat (V7) detected the
change of drive and I had to re-register that.

Good luck.

Old January 6th 09, 04:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
runningonair

I recently upgraded my HDD to 160GB. I used Complete PC Backup to image
the
existing drive to an external HDD, installed the new drive, booted to
the
Vista DVD, selected System Repair from the install environment and
restored
the image to the new disc. Maybe it was because of using Vista to image
and
restore, but I did not have to call to re-activate.

I found this method worked well. Also my system was dual booting with
XP and the XP installation still worked after the disk copy.

--
runningonair
Old April 30th 10, 06:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
satwilson

runningonair;931272 Wrote:
I recently upgraded my HDD to 160GB. I used Complete PC Backup to image

the
existing drive to an external HDD, installed the new drive, booted to
the
Vista DVD, selected System Repair from the install environment and
restored
the image to the new disc. Maybe it was because of using Vista to image
and
restore, but I did not have to call to re-activate. I found this method worked well. Also my system was dual booting with

XP and the XP installation still worked after the disk copy.

I was wanting to upgrade my hard drive on my Dell E1505 with Vista
Ultimate and Complete PC Backup. I bought my E1505 used and do not have
a Vista DVD. I do have a Dell Win7 Pro Reinstallation DVD. Can I use
this to boot and access the System Recovery Options?

--
satwilson

Old April 30th 10, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
whs[_8_]

Changing a disk creates no licensing problem whatsoever. Only a change
of the mobo would require a reactiviation by MS.

--
whs

Old April 30th 10, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
satwilson

whs;1260115 Wrote:
Changing a disk creates no licensing problem whatsoever. Only a change
of the mobo would require a reactiviation by MS.

I wasn't concerned with reactivation issues, but rather if I could use
my Win7 PRO DVD to boot and access the the System Recovery Options on my
Vista O/S. Please read my original post, thank you.

--
satwilson