A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Old July 19th 07, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rookie27

Default A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Hi all! First of all I really hope I can get some help here because all
the googling what I have done and threads read concerning about my
problem are all from here but I haven't find anything to help my case.

So I have had a problems since I bought my computer what comes with
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bits and now almost whatever I play my
screen freezes during gaming for let say 1 min and after that I can
keep playing until new one comes and it's keep going until I stop
playing every 5-10 mins or so also I get new reports to "Problem
Reports and Solutions" every time it happens and it looks like this.

Product
Windows

Problem
Video hardware error.

Date
17.7.2007 16:59

Status
More information available

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working
correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1035

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be
available)
WD-20070719-1659.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 87AF7D58
BCP2: 8B741AFC
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 2b8240ba-24f4-4799-ba12-01a10692bab0

I read one thread and guy called "freddy" help somebody and told him to
try "sigverif.exe" here is my results from that.

altmixer.ini
mixer.ini
smax4pnp.exe
smwdmif.dll
aeadiapo.dll
aeadiext.dll
smaxco.dll
adihdaud.sys.

And I also checked "Event Viewer" and I didn't find any "Stop Program"
there.

My comp is intel core 2 duo, asus p5b motherboard, 1gb x 2 corsair 667
memory, MSI x1950 pro 512mb, sounds are from montherboard.

Also I have tried everything what comes to installing new drivers,
updating bios or motherboard and I also put a fan to next my comp while
it was open.

--
Rookie27
Rookie27's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=28246

http://forums.techarena.in

Old July 19th 07, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working

Rookie27,

Hi, I'm Freddy, and I don't have all the answers. The trouble you're having
is a condition that can be caused by various sources. That's why it's hard
to identify and rectify, as you have found out. It's clear that something is
causing your system to malfunction, but just what is hard to say.

Are you using an nVidia graphics card? NVidia has been having issues making
their graphics card drivers fully compatible with Vista. This is well known.
You say you have updated drivers, but did you update the graphics card
drivers? Sometimes updating those helps, but sometimes not. That's just
another example of why this problem is so hard to diagnose.

You have a conflict of some sort. I have no idea of what it is. It could
be anything. Those eight files you have from running the sigverif.exe
utility are unsigned drivers. Unsigned drivers are those that haven't been
verified by Microsoft as running properly in Vista, but that doesn't mean
that they are the source of your condition. However, one or more of those
could be causing your problem. Again, it's hard to tell. Not all unsigned
drivers cause problems.

I don't have the solution, because of all the possible sources that could be
causing your problem. Most people simply keep working on the condition
until they find it or give up. One good approach is to participate in a user
group devoted to either nVidia or ATI cards, whichever card you have. You
can find such user groups on the Internet using google. A good ATI group is
www.rage3d.com. You should consider participating in such a group and
posting your problem there to see what happens.

I had a similar problem some time back. I eventually determined that my
condition was cause by my Intel processor upgrade from 2.4 GHz to 3.01 GHZ.
The manufacturer of my motherboard said that my motherboard supported up to
3.01 GHz, but it had issues when playing games, but only when playing games.
During games, I got the same error you are getting. I changed back to my old
2.4 GHZ processor, and the errors stopped. See what I mean about all the
possible sources for the condition you have? It can be hard to find.

One person solved his problem by doing the following:

"Right click on desktop display settings classic theme + Turning windows
defender off, all settings in windows defender to off!"

I copied that from the Internet. After doing that, his problem was solved.
Just another example of how different things can cause this problem!

I'm sorry to say that I can't solve your problem.
--
freddy

Old July 20th 07, 08:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rookie27

Thanks for your help, freddy. I think I do whatever I can and after
weekend I return my comp back to shop.

You spoke about unsigned drivers what should I do with those I started
to think maybe the problem is that because I have two program in
Windows Defender "Not yet classified" and what startup when windows
starts, smax4pnp.exe, JMinsIDE.exe, first one can be also find in
"sigverif.exe". My question is what should I do with those?

I'm not now in home, I'm going to try and turn off Windown Defender and
give it to try. Althought it's a bummer if new Windows can't run
properly.

I'm running newest ATI Catalyst drivers.

Also I think smax4pnp has something to do with my sounds, my old sound
blaster was too old for vista, so I downloaded SoundMAX ADI Audio
Driver from www.asus.com.

Old July 20th 07, 09:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

what video card?
what version driver have you tried?
what settings (resolution?) have you tried?

MS Windows-MVP
Old July 20th 07, 10:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rookie27

My video card is MSI Rx1950 Pro 512mb, newest catalyst driver 07.7, and
resolution is what I always try to use is 1280 x 1024 because it
should be optimal for my monitor.

Once I bought Visa I haven't tried any other drivers only newest, I had
Windows XP before and it reported VPU-Recover problem and it crashed to
windows or freezed totally so I had to reboot or quit comp. It just
sound strange that new comp doesn't work with new drivers but I'm
willing to give it a try what Catalyst should I test? I tried almost
everything in Windows XP from omega to catalyst and from newest
catalyst to oldest but nothing.

I tried to run a game with Windows Defender off but no help.

Also I downloaded all newest drivers from www.asus.com and updated my
bios.

Old July 20th 07, 11:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Default A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop work

Rookie27,

What to do with unsigned drivers? What I do is try to figure out what they
do. Once I know that, I then determine whether they could be causing a
problem. You can use google to find information on a file name. Simply
search on the name and you should get hits. It's all a matter of trial and
error. If you think a program could be causing a problem, you can shut it
down, uninstall it, or whatever you want. After doing that, and the problem
continues, then that one's not the issue. Move on to the next. It's not
easy. Like I say, the problem could be caused by anything.

Some people blame the video card, or its drivers, because the error message
says that the video card stopped functioning (words to that effect). It's
not impossible that something related to the video card is the problem, but
you also can be wrong by doing that. Something apart from the video card is
causing the video card to malfunction. You get the idea. That's why this is
a difficult situation to analyze. If your computer is new and still under
warranty, take it back. Good idea.
--
freddy

Old July 20th 07, 12:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rookie27

I'm calling quits I'm so tired with this somebody else can take care of
this.

Althought it's kind of strange that one of my favorite game Medieval 2
Total War worked before but now after Vista it's telling Microsoft .NET
Framework error. An Unhandled exception has occurred in your
application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this
error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will
be shut down immediately.

If you press continue the game start to load but then new error
"Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecifies error and will now
exit"

I also tried to fix that it took me 2 days but didn't find any help.

Old July 20th 07, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Barb Bowman

does the vendors site recommend a specific driver for Vista? did you
upgrade from XP? what driver was installed when you did the upgrade?
was a new driver installed by Vista?

Old July 20th 07, 02:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Rookie27,

I understand your sentiments and don't disagree. Been there, done that.
--
freddy

Old July 21st 07, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rookie27

Hi I'm back, I started to think maybe it's because of Catalyst graphic
settings. Any ideas, what kind of settings I could try?