Vista sound playback devices missing speaker

Old August 23rd 08, 12:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Paul Montgomery[_3_]

Default Vista sound playback devices missing speaker

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 19:31:01 -0400, "Mike Hall - MVP"
wrote:

"samy" wrote in message
Hi Paul,

I brought this laptop from India. Please let me know which driver to be
installed.

Regards
Kandasamy

"Paul Montgomery"i wrote:

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 14:25:01 -0700, samy
wrote:

In my laptop I am not getting any sounds. When I checked in the device
manger there is no any device with Name sound,game and controller.In the
volume icon it is crossed with X and it show that no audio output
device is
installed. When I right clicked in the plackback as well as in the
recording
it shows that no audio device are installed.

My laptopmodel is toshiba portege M600 and I am using Windows Vista
Enterprise.

You need to install the sound drivers from your drivers CD/DVD

The M600 isn't even listed on Toshiba's US site. Was the computer
bought somewhere else?

https://www.toshiba-india.com/categories.aspx

Click on 'Downloads' (left side column) and then select your type and
model.. the drivers will show as a listing in the bottom half of the web
page.

Search through the list for the drivers you require..

Before I asked the OP, I tried that site on a guess and looked in
downloads.

It didn't (and still doesn't) work in Firefox.... just checked it in
IE and it works FINE.
Old May 15th 09, 02:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tracy

thank you sooo much!!! I have recently added Skype to my system and could not
get the audio to work, so i disabled and have spent the past two days trying
to find the answer to get my audio back!!! Thank you so much!!! This was
extremely helpful!

"dean-dean" wrote:

Did you do all this: Right-click the Sound icon in the notification area,
and choose
Playback Devices. On the Playback tab of Sound, right-click an empty spot
of the window, and put a checkmark next to "Show Disabled Devices" and
"Show Disconnected Devices". From there, if Speakers shows up, right-click
Speakers to enable.

"Ringfinger" wrote in message
well, I did everything as stated. The Realtek auido program works now,
can
detect that I plugged in a speaker, but other than that, no dice. Does
not
work, still the X over the speaker icon. I uninstatlled reinstalled,
rebooted, etc. No dice.

I am losing it here. It did start after it hibernated I am sure, now
what?

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

From the experiences of another user with the Realtek HD Audio drivers:
It
appears that you have to run the install twice. The first install will
remove
the older drivers. Then a reboot is required. Then you have to run the
driver
install again and reboot.

I always uninstall the device first in Device Manager (and check the box
remove driver files). Uninstall the Realtek Audio Manager in Control
Panel
Programs and Features. Windows re-installs it's generic drivers during
this
uninstall, and just to be safe I go back to Device Manager and again
uninstall
the audio adapter. Reboot. Install the new Realtek drivers, and reboot
again.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Audio%20Codecs

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Ringfinger" wrote in message
I have am ACER Aspire AST180. The soundcard is integrated. The driver
downloaded last I believe was the Realtek HD Audio one. That is at
least
what I remember. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver when this
problem
first appeared, thought it would fix it, but no. Any ideas? Very
frustrating. I have done everything I have seen on these boards.

"dean-dean" wrote:

If you post your computer make and model name/number, perhaps someone
can
help you find the Vista compatible sound driver that you need. Your
speaker
icon is indicating that it's using perhaps just the Microsoft generic
driver, which is incomplete, and needs the sound driver specific to
your
computer to work.

"BK12" wrote in message
Thank You for trying to help me Cal Bear '66 but that also does not
help
me.
Im now thinking that i should bring my laptop in to Best Buy to get
fixed;
Thanks for the help.

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

Do you know what audio adapter your PC has?

Go to Control Panel Device Manager and look under Sound, video
and game
controllers. Right click and select Properties.

Or go to your PC's or motherboard manufacturer's web site and look
for
updated
audio drivers or see if you can find the manufacturer of your audio
adapter and
go to their site and download the latest Vista drivers.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"BK12" wrote in message
After installing Vista Home Premium version i was and still am
unable
to hear
sound and every time i put my cursor over the speaker icon it
says that
there
is no Audio Output Device installed. I also tried what you have
posted
but it
seems that nothing is working. I'm thinking of bringing my
computer in
to get
it fixed but if you have any ideas of what to do it would be
greatly
appreciated. Thank You.

"dean-dean" wrote:

Ooops. I meant on the "Playback" tab of Sound...

"dean-dean" wrote in
message
Try this. Right-click the Sound icon in the notification
area, and
choose
Playback Devices. On the Recording tab of Sound, right-click
an
empty spot
of the window, and put a checkmark next to "Show Disabled
Devices"
and
"Show Disconnected Devices". From there, if Speakers shows
up,
right-click Speakers to enable.

"Victag" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a new PC and there is no sound coming out. If I
go to
the sound icon in Control Panel, there is only an SPDIF
playback
device showing, and no speaker option. I am not using the
SPDIF
port
on the soundcard, but have my speakers connected to the other
plugs
(analog I think they are?) I have tried updating the driver
with
no
luck. Any suggestions?