Vista Banter

-   -   Internal HD "NOT" Recognized by "My Computer" (This is an Add-On H (http://www.vistabanter.com/60534-internal-hd-not-recognized-my-computer-add-h.html)

Michael July 21st 07 01:03 AM

Internal HD "NOT" Recognized by "My Computer" (This is an Add-

There was a 'lastdrive' in config.sys and a L: parameter in autoexec.bat
and tweakui could make changes in the registery (all prior to Vista).
From your machine description I sorta assumed that you installed Vista from
scratch rather than upgraded. If you upgraded or transfered your settings
from a XP machine then the transfer may have tried to set things up as the
origional.

You could check your current environment variables for funny stuff:
Right click Computer
Properties
Advanced system settings
environment variables

Also if the partion/drive is/was compressed then its real drive letter is
suppressed, its state may be partially retained in its current
configuration.
A drive that was compressed but not properly installed would mess up and
hide letters for drives other than itself!

I think that if tweakui was used to hide the drive then it was really
inaccessable. If lastdrive was how it was done then it could be accessed, it
just didn't show in explorer. That is you could get to it by opening "x:"

I THINK that tweakui did its stuff at
HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\pol icies that was in XP!!!
Nothing there in my Vista.

Hope you are having fun,
Michael

"Seidell23231" wrote in message
Thanks Freddy & Michael,

Tried your suggestions and still a NO SHOW under "Computer". BUT, I think
the limit on Drive Letters may be the solution or problem.

Michael wrote: "I seem to remember that in XP there was a setting that
limited the drive letters visable. Perhaps there is something in Vista of
same function (did
not find it with casual check)."

I removed the drive and added a partition to the external drive. You
guessed it, it did NOT show up! It seems that VISTA will not allow more
than
6 HD letters. So it would seem that the limit may be the issue.

Now, how do I overcome this???

"Seidell23231" wrote:

Hey Freddy,

Been there and tried that. The drive is designated as drive "T" and has
been formatted. Disk Mgmt shows it as Online and Healthy. The drive
shows
up here with no issues and shows in device mgr, also with no issues. NOT
showing under the old title, my computer. Whats next?

"freddy" wrote:

Seidell23231,

Try assigning a drive letter in Disk Management. Right click Computer
(formerly My Computer), then select Manage, and then Disk Management.
You
can also partition and format there. Once you get there, it's pretty
much
self explanatory.
--
freddy

"Seidell23231" wrote:

Hello ALL,

Background:
I have a Sony VAIO VGC RA-710G (Liquid Cooled, Runs Silent); P4 3.2
EE/HT,
3GB PC3200 RAM, ATI 1600XT 512MB GDDR 3, Vista Ultimate 32-Bit,
Seagate 500GB
16MB Burst Internal (Ultra ATA), Western Digital 750GB External, Both
@
7200RPM, Sony DVD/CD DL R/RW +/-, LG DVD/CD R/RW +/- Lightscribe,
Logitech
G15 (Keyboard Illuminates and has a small LCD Screen), Bose Companion
5 5.1
Dolby Digital USB Speakers, Acer AL 2216W 22" WS LCD Screen and a
Power
Supply of 350:

Situation:
Rather than having my original HD just sitting around collecting
dust, I
have decided to add it to the system as the Internal Slave HD. The
HD is a
Hitachi Deskstar 250GB @ 7200RPM. As noted above, this will be the
"3rd" HD
for this system, 2 internal and 1 external.

Problem / Question:
The HD (The add-on internal) is recognized prior to Boot into
Windows. It is
recognized in the Device Management area. It is recognized in the
Admin Tools
Computer Management area as an "Online" Drive, where it has been
formatted
and partitioned. HOWEVER, it is NOT recognized by "My Computer", its
a NO
Show in that area! There are NO error codes for system messages
coming up
indicating a problem.

So how can it appear in every area, except that one? I'm Baffled,
Someone
show me the light...

Joey

Keiana Martin August 2nd 11 08:18 PM

Internal HD "NOT" Recognized by "My Computer" (This is an Add-On H

Hi, I know for a fact that I am almost certainly dreaming as I am shooting for a "Long-Shot" I am in desperate need of a Recovery Disk for a Sony Vaio System that you once had a few light years ago!

NOTE: I would appreciate anyone who reads this message as it is very well a "Cry For Help"

It's the Sony System VGCRA-710G It has Windows XP Media Center Edition. Of course Sony has discontinued it and I can not find it anywhere. If by some small Miracle you would still have or know where I locate this recovery disk. I would greatly appreciate it. Of course I would be willing to compensate you for it. Please response with any information you wish.

Thanks ...

SINCERELY,

Keiana

On Friday, July 20, 2007 4:26 PM fkirsche wrote:

Seidell23231,

Try assigning a drive letter in Disk Management. Right click Computer
(formerly My Computer), then select Manage, and then Disk Management. You
can also partition and format there. Once you get there, it's pretty much
self explanatory.
--
freddy

"Seidell23231" wrote:

On Friday, July 20, 2007 4:26 PM Michael wrote:

Joey,

I am not familiar with the phrase 'Online' in computer management,
however.....

In Disk Management under computer management does the drive show with a
drive letter? Most of Vista will not see anything if it does not have a
drive letter.

Right click the partion, Change Drive letter and paths and set one if it
doesn't already have one.

Michael
Vista Home Premium

"Seidell23231" wrote in message

On Friday, July 20, 2007 4:29 PM David B. wrote:

There is such a thing as providing too much information, the fact that your
keyboard lights up isn't really relevant to the problem ;)
Have you tried to assign a drive letter using Disk Management?

--

----

"freddy" wrote:

On Friday, July 20, 2007 5:22 PM Michael wrote:

I seem to remember that in XP there was a setting that limited the drive
letters visable. Perhaps there is something in Vista of same function (did
not find it with casual check). You might try changing drive letter to as
low as possible without messing with your primary drive.

Michael

"Seidell23231" wrote in message

On Friday, July 20, 2007 5:50 PM fkirsche wrote:

Seidell23231,

Try assigning a different drive letter. Maybe it doesn't like the partition
and format if it wasn't performed in Vista. It does no harm to try different
approaches, even repartitioning and formatting. Just some thoughts.
--
freddy

"Seidell23231" wrote:

On Friday, July 20, 2007 5:56 PM fkirsche wrote:

Seidell23231,

Also, in Disk Management, is the drive listed as a Simple/Basic type?
--
freddy

"freddy" wrote:

On Friday, July 20, 2007 6:04 PM Seidell2323 wrote:

Thanks Freddy & Michael,

Tried your suggestions and still a NO SHOW under "Computer". BUT, I think
the limit on Drive Letters may be the solution or problem.

Michael wrote: "I seem to remember that in XP there was a setting that
limited the drive letters visable. Perhaps there is something in Vista of
same function (did
not find it with casual check)."

I removed the drive and added a partition to the external drive. You
guessed it, it did NOT show up! It seems that VISTA will not allow more than
6 HD letters. So it would seem that the limit may be the issue.

Now, how do I overcome this???

"Seidell23231" wrote:

On Friday, July 20, 2007 6:24 PM Seidell2323 wrote:

All drives are BASIC.

"freddy" wrote:

On Friday, July 20, 2007 9:03 PM Michael wrote:

There was a 'lastdrive' in config.sys and a L: parameter in autoexec.bat
and tweakui could make changes in the registery (all prior to Vista).
From your machine description I sorta assumed that you installed Vista from