Vista - User Profile was not loaded correctly

Old July 20th 07, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
concork

Default Vista - User Profile was not loaded correctly

Bought a brand new Dell Dimension 9200 a few days ago.

Everytime I start the computer I get the following message "User profile was
not loaded correctly. You have been logged on with a temporary profile.
Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off. Please see
the event log for details or contact your administrator"

Today I spent two hours on the phone with a Dell support person, who was
unable to help me - he said he would research it and call me tomorrow (I
think it may have been the end of his shift!)

Everthing I do to on the computer is basically lost after it's shut down - i
lost all the music and data files that I had loaded on. I'm not very
technical, so if anyone has a solution (that I can understand), i would be
most appreciative. The machine appears to be amazingly fast and I am dying to
get going on it.
Thanks in advance
Old July 21st 07, 02:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Create a new profile for yourself in the control panel/Users and log into
it. Chances are good that the default profile is corrupt and you will not be
able to recover it. If you continue to use the temporary one, you will
continue to lose any settings and preferences you create.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old July 23rd 07, 05:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
concork

Thanks Rick - on my third call to Dell they helped me do this, but not before
I had to resintall Vista on my machine, which of course deleted other
software that i now have to reinstall. However, I'm back in business, so
thanks!

Old August 2nd 07, 12:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Ron B.

I'm having the same issue. The complication for me is that I'm logging onto
a domain, so I can't just come up with a differently named profile.
--
---------
Ron B.

Old August 4th 07, 09:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Samir

Same issue here with my domain account that can't log on properly.

I've created other accounts in the domain and they all work fine, but my own
old account cannot load my profile. I get a warning about the temporary
profile being loaded and eventid 1515 and 1511 are logged in the application
log.

I've tried deleting my old profile from C:\Users but it still won't work. I
end up with the C:\Users\TEMP profile.

As this is a domain account (not using roaming profile from the network) I
can't carry out any account modifications on my PC that would help. I'd like
to start using my PC effectivly again, but it's hard when all settings are
cleared everytime I restart...

//Vista Business 64-bit (eng)
Old August 4th 07, 02:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Samir

"Samir" wrote:

Same issue here with my domain account that can't log on properly.

I've created other accounts in the domain and they all work fine, but my own
old account cannot load my profile. I get a warning about the temporary
profile being loaded and eventid 1515 and 1511 are logged in the application
log.

I've tried deleting my old profile from C:\Users but it still won't work. I
end up with the C:\Users\TEMP profile.

As this is a domain account (not using roaming profile from the network) I
can't carry out any account modifications on my PC that would help. I'd like
to start using my PC effectivly again, but it's hard when all settings are
cleared everytime I restart...

//Vista Business 64-bit (eng)

My problem was solved using this technique:
1. Restart your PC to release the locks on your profile.
2. Log on with another administrative account
3. Delete C:\Users\%username%
4. Delete C:\Users\TEMP
5. Delete the registry key matching your SID from
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList". Check the value "ProfileImagePath" to make
sure you pick your own profile.
6. Restart once again and then you're done!

Hope this helps someone using domain accounts instead of local ones!

Old July 14th 08, 10:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Doug Lubey

Default vista windows profile service windows cannot find thelocal profile (temporary profile will be used)

This worked for me also. But here are a few additional tips for people new to vista.

Windows XP stored these profiles in C:\document and settings, Where as Vista stores the information in the registry and on the C:\Users folder.

If you just delete the folder information (which I did at first), the profile is not deleted in its' entirety.

Hence the error messages when you try to log in as the same domain user you just deleted:
Error messages:
1Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you into a temporary profile.
2windows vista Your user profile was not loaded correctly temporary profile
3vista windows profile service windows cannot find the local profile
4TEMP profile created

Also the exact registry key in vista is shown below. To run the registry editor in vista,type in regedt32.exe in the search; in XP you did this either by the command prompt or the run command.

Registry key to edit:
Computer\HKel_local_machine\Software\Microsoft\Win dows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Now start going through the keys to determine what users you many want to delete.

Another option (and maybe the correct option) would be to just delete the user using the control panel.
Control panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Configure Advanced User Profile Properties(located on the left menu) and delete the profile you do not want anymore. By doing it this way, it will remove the registry settings and also the file system settings.

-Doug Lubey of Louisiana
www.douglubey.com

Old July 14th 08, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Nonny

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 15:23:47 -0700, Doug Lubey wrote:

This worked for me also. But here are a few additional tips for people new to vista.

Is this a reply to a previous post? If so, where is that post because
your post is the only one in this thread.

Old November 19th 08, 09:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Luka Vignjevic

I followed the steps of deleting the temp user, however, I am a little leary of deleting anything out of the registry. When I logon as the administrator and go to the control panel user accounts the domain user is not listed only the administrator account is listed. Should I change the computer setting to a workgroup and disjoin it from the domain before I start making any deletion out of the registry.

Thanks for your help.