Old April 17th 08, 04:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BadMouth[_7_]

Default ATIKMDAG.SYS

Well folks after numerous testing with the ATI HD 2600 XT PCE the
results a

1. With multithreading enabled the system crashed extensively.
2. With multithreading disabled the system occasionally crashed.

1. With DEP disabled and multithreading on, the system crashed
extensively.
2. With DEP disabled and multithreading disabled, the system crashed
occasionally.

1. With DEP and DDC/CI enabled and multithreading enabled system
crashed extensively.
2. With DEP and DDC/CI disabled and multithreading disabled system
crashed occasionally.

1. With DEP and DDC/CI enabled, and background services set to full
performance, system crashed
extensively.
2. With DEP and DDC/CI enabled, and foreground services set to full
performance, system crashed
occasionally.

Now the above tests were done with the 8.3 drivers and the control
center installed. These test range from
Printing, Gaming, Movies to productive programs such as CAD, Paintshop
Pro, Visual studio 2005, Visual
studio 6.0, Delphi 7.0, Burning studio, Databases, Word etc...

Now from all the tests, that I have done so far for the past month and
up to now is that the ATI drivers
are not completely the blame. What I mean is that they are partially to
blame for this bug. It is not the
whole driver package causing this mess, and I have no reason to believe
that the Catalyst Control Center
is the culprit. In fact, back a few weeks ago I ran the standalone
driver and still got the same results
as if I had the control center installed.

Now I decided to go on ahead to Circuit City and talk to one of my
friends, got a good deal on a GeForce
8600 GT, now mind you that this card is similar to the ATI HD 2600 XT
card.
Ran all the tests the same way, no special tweaks or settings, and
guess what? ALL PASSED!

So my solution to this problem folks is this:

1. Removed ATI favorites from my internet explorer, and in with Nvidia.
2. Deleted all my packages that I have created to run the 2600 XT,
freed up 1.g
3. Deleted all references of ATI from my registry.
4. Deleted all email documents from ATI Techs.

For those who are curious as to what I did with the ATI HD 2600 XT:
WHOOOSH--- BING---BANG---CLING---CLANG---CLAMP

And in with the good!
B.M'[image: http://www.driverheaven.net/images/smilies/smilie.gif]'
(http://www.driverheaven.net/images/smilies/smilie.gif)

--