USB Controllers???

Old July 23rd 07, 12:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Craig008

Default USB Controllers???

i think i may have a problem with my USB controllers, if i unplug a plug and
play usb devise and plug it back into the same port, vista needs to install
the drivers again, ok fine but i go to install and it tells me i have the
mnost upto date drivers and i do not need to install any new ones.

i think this problem may be caused by my mother board as it is pre vista, if
i decide to change my mother board how should i go about it, do i need to
crate a boot disc
--
grapes
Old July 23rd 07, 03:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Craig008,

Before you do something as extensive as replacing your motherboard, make
sure that you actually have to do that. You could be having some other
problem. For one thing, check in Device Manager to determine whether
everything relating to USB in functioning properly. If all is good there,
you likely have no problems with the USB controllers.

Here is another thing to try: perhaps you have a USB device driver
recognition issue that can be resolved by deleting the INFCACHE.1 file. It
can get corrupted with bad data and cause issues like you MAY have. The file
is located at: C:\Windows\inf. There, scroll down to the INFCACHE.1 file and
right click it and select delete. To do this, you will likely have to give
yourself permission to delete it, because of Windows built-in Security. Just
right click the file, select Properties and then click on the security tab.
Let us know whether this procedure does anything. Sometimes it does and
sometimes it doesn't. It does no harm to delete that file, even when it has
nothing to do with the problem. Post back on results.

--
freddy

Old July 23rd 07, 05:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Craig008

that seems to have solved the problem, i thought i had already deleted that
file at an earlier time, i may restored my computer dut to some secondary
hard drive problems though, many thanks for your help freddy that should have
that solved now
--
grapes