Multiple & simultaneous SSIDs: "ghosts" in the machine?

Old July 25th 07, 05:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-b-

Default Multiple & simultaneous SSIDs: "ghosts" in the machine?

I have a new Vista machine connected to Linksys router. I have established
"secure" wireless network after a few failed attempts. The router manufacture
says no way can a router broadcast multiple SSIDs simultaneously. I have done
all master resets and manage the router via web utility. Why can Vista still
see "ghosts" (unique SSIDs I created previously) that I don't believe exist.
I have a "radar" utility from Toshiba that also sees those previous SSIDs as
active. I have deleted those router profiles in the network management
utilities in Vista.

Any thoughts?
--
-b-
Old July 25th 07, 09:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Barb Bowman

network and sharing center
manage wireless networks on left
highlight/click what you want to remove and click remove along the
top

Vista remembers what you have previously connected to for
convenience. The ghosts don't show a signal strength.

this is good for travelers who utilize one or more of the big
national wifi providers, but not as good for someone doing what you
are doing.

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:36:00 -0700, -b-
wrote:

I have a new Vista machine connected to Linksys router. I have established
"secure" wireless network after a few failed attempts. The router manufacture
says no way can a router broadcast multiple SSIDs simultaneously. I have done
all master resets and manage the router via web utility. Why can Vista still
see "ghosts" (unique SSIDs I created previously) that I don't believe exist.
I have a "radar" utility from Toshiba that also sees those previous SSIDs as
active. I have deleted those router profiles in the network management
utilities in Vista.

Any thoughts?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Old July 26th 07, 03:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-b-

Thanks for the input. But the ghosts DO show signal strength, channel, radio
type, and type of connection-- that's what is so confounding. With the radar
utility I can also see an identifier such as "99-99-e9-99-9d-99" as well as
infrastructure (GHz and channel). Any more thoughts or suggestions?

Regards,

-b-

Old July 26th 07, 09:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Barb Bowman

windows doesn't show the channel (I wish it did, but that's a
different issue). I assume this is a laptop since you mention
toshiba. what happens if you drive three miles from home, shut down
and restart? what shows up?

what shows up when you get home?

Old July 28th 07, 04:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-b-

Hello.

I took the laptop outside the range of the router, shut down and restarted.
I only saw the available networks over at my relative's house (and their
naighbor's). When I got home, the ghosts re-emerged upon startup. I'm not
sure what's going on. I have a reliable wireless connection on the "secure"
profile and will only connect to that network. Also, I configured the router
to recognize only my wireless client MAC address-- thinking about security
(although MACs can be cloned).

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to live with it. It's kinda-like that fly
buzzing around the room... no real threat, but bothersome as heck!

Regards,
-b-

Old July 28th 07, 10:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Barb Bowman

are you using WPA/WPA2? or WEP?

I know some Cisco products have some strange phantoms when you cut
and paste MAC addresses into the config.

Do you have the latest firmware for your router? I'd almost suggest
trying WPA/WPA2 only to see if the issue is resolve.

Old July 29th 07, 05:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-b-

Yes, I have run the latest firmware and reset the cisco router several
times. I am, however, using WEP per their tech support reccomendation. I
think I will try resetting again, and changing to WPA.

Thanks for the suggestion.
--
-b-

Old August 2nd 07, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Tim Capel

I am having the EXACT same issue with my linksys router that I'm connecting
to wirelessly from my laptop... everything, right down to identifying the
problem as a "ghost in the machine" myself for lack of anything else to call
it and stumbling upon this thread. I went into my router configuration
and changed the name of my SSID and it's still reading the "ghost" profile as
well. This profile is apparently connectable but gives me no Internet access
(which is a good thing). Not really that troublesome, but I'm very curious
to know what in the world is going on. Just wondering if you'd had any
success in resolving this on your end.

--Tim

Old August 3rd 07, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
-b-

I still have not been able to resolve this. I have installed the latest
firmware from Linksys and reset the router, but am still seeing the previous
profiles as well as the default SSID. I think the problem is the router and
not Vista.

Best of luck resolving the problem. Please post if you find a solution.

--
-b-