Problem connecting Nokia phone to PC

Old July 25th 07, 09:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BarneyKatz

Default Problem connecting Nokia phone to PC

I can't connect my Nokia 6200 mobile phone to my Vista Home Premium PC
after installing Nokia PC Suite. I'm sure that I'm using the correct
data cable (CA-42) and version of PC Suite (6.83.14.1).

Each time I try to connect, the following occurs:

1. A message appears, 'Windows needs to install driver software for your
unknown device'. The default choice is, 'Locate and install driver
software' which I select.

2. I then receive an error message, 'This file does not have a program
association with it for performing this action. Create an association in
the Set Association Control Panel'. The title bar for the error message
is C:\Windows\System32\newdev.exe

What does this message mean? Why do I need to create an association to
install a driver? How do I do this? I'm very confused about this. What
should I do?

Thank you.

Barney
Old July 25th 07, 09:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Contact Nokia support. It sounds like you either have the wrong driver
type, version, or that it's not Vista compatible.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old July 25th 07, 08:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
huwyngr

You are following the sequence of installing the PC Suite before
plugging in the CA42 cable and only plugging that in when told to by
the installation procedure or after it finishes? This is the normal
procedure with USB devices in order to get installed the driver for the
USB to Serial converter in the cable.

I've never succeeded in getting my Nokia 3120c phone connected under XP
or under VISTA using the earlier DKU-5 cable although mine is not a
Nokia made cable .......

BTW Your CA-42 is a Nokia cable and not a third party cable of the same
designation? This can matter since they can have different converter
chips in them needing different drivers although I found the driver for
my chip and that did not help -- I could see the cable coverter in
Device Manager but the PC Suite never saw the phone when it was
connected.

If you work it out please let us know.

Old December 22nd 07, 07:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
windboy

I have seen the same problem with WMDC. THis is the 3rd time it has stopped
working on Vista64 Ultimate. Seems my HTC device or ATT-tilt phone is
recognized by USB, and Sync Center has it as a guest, but there is no way to
connected it.
When I launch WMDC, I get a popup "This file does not have a program
associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the
Set Associations control panel." "C:\Windows\WindowsMobile\wmdc.exe". If I
knew what associations it wanted I would go into the File Explorer and set
them up.

I have read in other forums that when revert the WMDC update 6.1 - 6.0 that
this conflicts with the WPD driver and there is no fix. I have been waiting 3
months for this to be fixed and I am still waiting. Maybe next year."
--
SQA