Old April 28th 08, 12:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
windyvoice

Default Game Cheat Console

"gretzki" wrote in message

Firstly, i posted this on microsoft website. But it ended up here. and i
had to register. So it's still me.

Ok. Currently I'm playing Gothic 3. And i know about the issues with
ini files, or other changes i have to make. But i had. I played this
game when I had XP. There was no problem opening the console with tilde
key (~). On Vista I can't do that anymore.

Another Example is Rome Total War. I can't remember now but i had
problems in many other games that didn't even require modifications in
ini. files or stuff like that. So the issue isn't other keys also.

I ended up with the conclusion that Vista is to blame because on XP it
worked fine... and when I had vista (home premium) .... it didn't.

I played Gothic 3 on Vista with no problem and also on XP but for BOTH
systems you need to do the following as per :
http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/dos...de/920920.html
Open the ge3.ini file in the Gothic3/Ini folder and change the following
line in Notepad:

[Game]
TestMode=false

[Game]
TestMode=true

You can then press [~] (tilde) while playing to bring up the console.

It may also help to have the latest patch in the game. I am playing all
sorts of games cheating or not cheating and have had no problems in any of
them in vista. Some games, such as The Witcher, don't have cheats at all.
I don't know what your problem is but you may need to patch your games and
look up how to cheat in them and try playing in compatibility mode.
Remember patch, patch, patch. Also, is your font size set to default or
custom? Set it to default as a custom setting can cut off a menu in some
apps or games. Or are you just wanting to complain? It is not Vista or
any other OS causing your problem because they have nothing to do with the
cheat console in a game that I know of or can find.