F8 Key Repair Your Computer

Old July 28th 07, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Andy

Default F8 Key Repair Your Computer

I bought my ASE380-E system in May with Windows Ultimate pre-installed.
Because of a bad HDD that has been replaced I need to rebuild the entire
system from the restore DVD. This has been done, but I’ve got a problem:

The F8 key at boot time gives you access to “Repair your computer,” which
should provide a choice of repair actions. In my case it just boots up
normally. What is the solution to this problem?

This old geezer would appreciate a helping hand, too.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Old July 28th 07, 11:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
XS11E

Check with the vendor, they may know about this problem.

Other than that, when are you pressing F8? Do you even have a restore
partition? On my computer, if you burn the restore CDs/DVD and format
the HD, the computer knows (because the restore CDs/DVD exist) that the
restore partition isn't needed and recovering from the restore CDs will
not put it back so after I restored the computer, I had no restore
partition and no F8. To use the F8 action, I have to boot on the
restore CD/DVD now.

Old July 29th 07, 12:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Jim

"Andy" wrote in message
I bought my ASE380-E system in May with Windows Ultimate pre-installed.
Because of a bad HDD that has been replaced I need to rebuild the entire
system from the restore DVD. This has been done, but I've got a problem:

The F8 key at boot time gives you access to "Repair your computer," which
should provide a choice of repair actions. In my case it just boots up
normally. What is the solution to this problem?

This old geezer would appreciate a helping hand, too.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

It certainly seems that when you replaced the drive, you failed to (or could
not) install the repair partition.
It certainly seems that pressing F8 on your computer at the appropriate time
gets to to the repair partition.
I suspect that the only way to get a disk with that repair partition
installed is to buy the disk from the
manufacturer.

So, to this old geezer, it seems that all you can do is pretend that the F8
facility no longer exists.

Jim

Old July 29th 07, 05:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Andy

"XS11E" wrote:

Check with the vendor, they may know about this problem.

Other than that, when are you pressing F8? Do you even have a restore
partition? On my computer, if you burn the restore CDs/DVD and format
the HD, the computer knows (because the restore CDs/DVD exist) that the
restore partition isn't needed and recovering from the restore CDs will
not put it back so after I restored the computer, I had no restore
partition and no F8. To use the F8 action, I have to boot on the
restore CD/DVD now.

Will check with vendor. No, I don't have a restore partition. I'm afraid to
play with the Vista restore DVD lest I wipe out my restored system--too much
work in it.

Thanks for your help.

Andy
Old July 29th 07, 05:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Andy

"Jim" wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

You are right, I didn't install a restore partition. I still don't know how
to do this, and
Windows "Help and Support" is no help. I'm contacting ACER for help. Any
pointers?

Thanks for your help.

Andy
Old July 29th 07, 05:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Jim

"Andy" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

No, you won't find anything about this problem in Help & Support because it
isn't a Microsoft issue.
Your only hope is getting help from Acer.

I suppose I should mention that if, like me, you used a backup solution such
as Acronis, you could have
restored the entire disk from an Acronis backup (provided of course that you
did not store the backup
file on the disk).

Jim

Old July 29th 07, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
XS11E

Andy wrote:

I'm contacting ACER for help. Any pointers?

Yes, be polite and be patient! G Don't hesitate to ask to speak to
someone else if you're not getting the answers you need.

Good luck!

Old May 12th 09, 12:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
ThunderStorm

I have the same problem!!!

Hello Guys

I have a one month old Toshiba Satellite. It turned out that a Service
or Startup kept making my system "Hang" at my Vista Welcome Screen or I
was only able to get to the desktop before it would freeze and the wheel
kept spinning, and a stupid Toshiba rep never gave me this option to
stop service or disable programs until I did it myself! Anyway I fixed
it by going to MSCONFIG and disabling all STARTUP programs (yes all) and
Stopping three Symantec related SERVICES.

Here is the issue now.... Up until yesterday (before I was able to
MSCONFIG myself out of the whole mess), upon pressing F8 repeatedly I
was always able to get to the "Advanced Boot Option", which till then
also gave me the option to "Repair My Computer" and hence Run Recovery
Options and other Restore options etc. etc., That first "Repair My
Computer" option has NOW mysteriously dissappeared from the F8 Advanced
Boot Menu and I cannot get to the option to "Reset to Factory Settings"
or any of those other options there. When I called Toshiba again to ask
them where the option went they told me since there is nothing wrong
with the computer anymore, I will not be offered that option until the
next time something goes wrong. :/?

I hate to say is but there seems something strangely inaccurate with
that statement. Nowhere in the Windows Help does it say that the the
Repair My Computer Options would not come up during "Peacetime." Windows
Help says if you it came installed on your computer you can get to it by
pressing F8. Can someone clarify whether what this rep told me is true?
I don't think my Boot partition is damaged. I could swear I saw some
other Options there in the "Repair My Computer" menu which could also
apply during "Peacetime" or hold true during an otherwise "trouble-free"
time.
Is there another way for me to bring up this Repair Utility? (Pressing
0 / Zero or "C" didn't work either since I tried with the rep and we
couldn't find it in Setup Utility or by pressing F11)

[In addition I am unable to System Restore to any point before this
whole mess to see if that brings it up but that is another story ]

My system crashed again today and I was not given the option to "Repair
My System" by pressing F8 on startup.
The only options I got are
-Safe mode
-Safe mode with networking
-Start normally
-Enable bootlogging
-Disable Driver signup
-something about VGA Resolution
-and a couple of other gobbledy-gunks but no "Repair My Computer"
option. That used to be the first one at the top on this list.

Since I am now back in my computer I am able to use the Toshiba Utility
"Recovery Disc Creator" on 3 DVDs so that is not the problem [although I
have not yet burned one ]. I'm just trying to figure out why I can't
get to the Pre-installed Recovery Options on my computer anymore. Kindly
Re-read my question and respond.

Again this is a new issue. Ever since my computer is up and running
again, for some reason I cannot find the "Repair My Computer" option on
the Advanced Boot Menu - it doesn't show at all while all the other
options still do. The tech said since there is nothing to fix it won't
show until next time it goes down (which actually it did again today but
that option no longer came up). somethings definitely wrong..
I'm going to try to burn the disc today and see if its successful. Any
pointers would be very very welcome as I am at wits end considering the
computer is only a month old :cry:

--
ThunderStorm
Old May 12th 09, 12:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
ThunderStorm

Is it possible that like the OP my partition is corrupted and I won't be
able to burn the DVD... I will try today to do it.

--
ThunderStorm
Old May 12th 09, 04:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Richard Urban

Toshiba basically told you that it is do to their add-in option. Why would
you not believe them? Microsoft has no option to reset to factory options.

No, you are NOT going to find anything about Toshiba utilities in the
Windows Help section.

It sounds to me like you have uninstalled/disabled what used to give you
that option or Toshiba is correct in their answer to you.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP