Vista won't recognise memory sticks

Old July 31st 07, 06:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andifoz

Default Vista won't recognise memory sticks

Did it work Neil? Just got to see all the comments and see we're in the same
boat ...

"Neil Harley" wrote:

Cal Bear '66 wrote:
Here is the URL for requesting a hotfix:

https://support.microsoft.com/contac...1410&WS=hotfix

NOTE: You may have to try two or three times to get the URL to open the link in
a new tab.

Thanks for the link Cal Bear

Old July 31st 07, 06:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andifoz

this looks like its for XP Uwe - before I go there, does it work for Vista too?

"Uwe Sieber" wrote:

Andifoz wrote:
Hi
I have just bought a new Vista Business laptop. Every flash card I insert
into my USB ports does not work. It says it has to install driver software
then searches. It then asks me to insert a disc, but as flash drives don't
come with a disc it fails to install the flash drive and I am unable to use
it. I have searched producer sites (eg Sandisk) to download drivers but they
don't seem to exist as the whole point is that they are plug and play.
Beginning to wish I could have XP back, but want to persist! Any suggestions
on how to get memory sticks to plug and play?

Sounds like this:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_...ks_for_drivers

Old July 31st 07, 09:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andifoz

Uwe - when I get to Current Version in reged, I don't have an option
'DevicePath' . It just says Device Installer. Any thoughts?

"Uwe Sieber" wrote:

Yes

Old July 31st 07, 10:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Neil Harley

Andifoz wrote:
Did it work Neil? Just got to see all the comments and see we're in the same
boat ...

I haven't tried it yet :0

I'll be filling the webform in today after a meeting so I'll see how it
goes and post back
Old July 31st 07, 10:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Uwe Sieber

I have no Vista here at the moment but it's reported to
apply to Vista too (Msg 3):
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.general/browse_frm/thread/59d32f16671ad3c4

Andifoz wrote:
Uwe - when I get to Current Version in reged, I don't have an option
'DevicePath' . It just says Device Installer. Any thoughts?

"Uwe Sieber" wrote:

Yes

Old July 31st 07, 10:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert N

Try this solution !!!

USB Drive Problems with Vista
Was this post helpful ?

I believe that possibly during Vista installation, usbstor.inf (inf that
installs "USB Mass Storage Device") got corrupted or got accidentally deleted
from c:\Windows\inf. When usbstor.inf was restored to c:\Windows\inf and the
system was rebooted, the drives mounted normally again when the device is
plugged in.

There are two ways to get the usbstor.inf file

1. From another Vista system (copy it out of another Vista system and copy
it directly into the C:\Windows\inf directory)

2. If you only have 1 Vista system, run Command Prompt (Run as
administrator). From C:\ do a dir usbstor.inf /s . Wherever the file is
found, copy it to the C:\Windows\inf directory if it is missing from it. (I
remember it being in the driver store cache somewhere on the HDD)

Regards,

Rob

Old July 31st 07, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Andifoz

Thanks.

I couldn't find usbstor.inf anywhere on the system, but found a workaround
through this forum:
forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=3&SiteID=1&PageID=3&PostID =1286482

I foiund it by googling "ubsstor.inf" There's a big discussion about the
problem plus the workaround that works. In short, click on manually specify
location and point it to c:\windows\system32 and check the 'search
subfolders' checkbox. It doesn't work if you point it at windows/inf

Old July 31st 07, 10:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
shepbird2007

I am unable to use a usb stick under windows vista 64 bit. I have tryed 8
different usb sticks. Only one wil load. All others say insert cd with
driver. Called each company and they all tell me to call Microsoft. I can't
aford to pay them to sovle there own problem with my new computer runing
windows. Anyone know what I can do. This is getting old. I which I still had
my xp windows. Thanks.
--
shepbird2007

Old August 1st 07, 01:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

If your problem with a USB device appear in this link get the free update
from MS.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b936003

news