Vista Banter

-   -   Vista won't recognise memory sticks (http://www.vistabanter.com/62555-vista-wont-recognise-memory-sticks.html)

Andifoz July 30th 07 12:46 PM

Vista won't recognise memory sticks

Hi
I have just bought a new Vista Business laptop. Every flash card I insert
into my USB ports does not work. It says it has to install driver software
then searches. It then asks me to insert a disc, but as flash drives don't
come with a disc it fails to install the flash drive and I am unable to use
it. I have searched producer sites (eg Sandisk) to download drivers but they
don't seem to exist as the whole point is that they are plug and play.
Beginning to wish I could have XP back, but want to persist! Any suggestions
on how to get memory sticks to plug and play?

Neil Harley July 30th 07 03:12 PM

Andifoz wrote:
Hi
I have just bought a new Vista Business laptop. Every flash card I insert
into my USB ports does not work. It says it has to install driver software
then searches. It then asks me to insert a disc, but as flash drives don't
come with a disc it fails to install the flash drive and I am unable to use
it. I have searched producer sites (eg Sandisk) to download drivers but they
don't seem to exist as the whole point is that they are plug and play.
Beginning to wish I could have XP back, but want to persist! Any suggestions
on how to get memory sticks to plug and play?

Not that it helps you but I'm having the same problem. Vista sometimes
lets a memory stick work but more often than not it asks for a driver
and then can't find one so the stick won't work. Vista does the same
with my MP3 player so I can't delete files on it or put new ones on.

Roll on SP1 when USB issues will be fixed (hopefully).

JW July 30th 07 03:19 PM

Vista won't recognise memory sticks

The following update may solve your USB port problem;

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b936003

Uwe Sieber July 30th 07 03:39 PM

Andifoz wrote:
Hi
I have just bought a new Vista Business laptop. Every flash card I insert
into my USB ports does not work. It says it has to install driver software
then searches. It then asks me to insert a disc, but as flash drives don't
come with a disc it fails to install the flash drive and I am unable to use
it. I have searched producer sites (eg Sandisk) to download drivers but they
don't seem to exist as the whole point is that they are plug and play.
Beginning to wish I could have XP back, but want to persist! Any suggestions
on how to get memory sticks to plug and play?

Sounds like this:
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_...ks_for_drivers

Neil Harley July 30th 07 06:39 PM

JW wrote:
The following update may solve your USB port problem;

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b936003

Thanks for this JW.

However, I'm not phoning MS at my cost (on an 0870 Premium rate number
at that!!) and then a possible charge for a fix to something that isn't
my making.

Cal Bear '66 July 30th 07 07:05 PM

Vista won't recognise memory sticks

Here is the URL for requesting a hotfix:

https://support.microsoft.com/contac...1410&WS=hotfix

NOTE: You may have to try two or three times to get the URL to open the link in
a new tab.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66 July 30th 07 07:06 PM

Vista won't recognise memory sticks

Also note: Hotfixes are provided free of charge.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

JW July 30th 07 07:07 PM

Vista won't recognise memory sticks

If you are reporting one of the problems listed you do not have to pay
anything. They will provide the fix to their problem for free.

Neil Harley July 30th 07 08:43 PM

Cal Bear '66 wrote:
Here is the URL for requesting a hotfix:

https://support.microsoft.com/contac...1410&WS=hotfix

NOTE: You may have to try two or three times to get the URL to open the link in
a new tab.

Thanks for the link Cal Bear :)

Cal Bear '66 July 30th 07 08:54 PM

Vista won't recognise memory sticks