Vista Banter

-   -   nVidia drivers 3D gaming (http://www.vistabanter.com/6296-nvidia-drivers-3d-gaming.html)

Joe Negrau August 31st 06 07:35 PM

nVidia drivers 3D gaming

Hi there,

I have an nVidia 6600GT with 256MB. I'm curious which drivers you are using
with Pre-RC1 Build 5536. The default driver that Vista uses is useless for
3D gaming. (I can't play City of Villains.)

The lastest nVidia beta drivers (ver 88.61) didn't work either. System
would boot up normally (hearing all the usual sounds) but just a black
screen. On their site nVidia says the drivers are for Vista Beta 2 only and
won't work with any other versions. When I was runnig Beta 2 with the 88.61
driver, my game worked perfectly.

What drivers are best for good 3D gaming performance? Where do I get them?
Please be specific as to driver version and website.

Thanks,
Joe

d3fin3d August 31st 06 08:39 PM

nVidia drivers 3D gaming

Have exactly the same issue here, although PR1 is the first version of Vista
I have tested.

When I installed the Nvidia Beta 2 drivers, the screen went completely
black. The OS was still working, as I heard it's sounds, but the screen was
just black (monitor active, but a black screen).

Seems as though we'll have to wait for Nvidia to release a PR-1 version, as
the drivers bundled with Vista PR-1, as you say, are useless for gaming.
(Input lag - mouse/keyboard, darkness - no gamma management, and low FPS
being a few issues although not all of the above may be related to graphics
drivers).

I have the Nvidia FX 6800 GT, and a 2500+ XP AMD cpu, with 1 gb or ram,
incidently, and the game I'm running is Quake 3 Arena (which works perfectly
with my system, under XP).

Does anyone have any idea sother than 'wait for Nvidias PR-1 drivers?
Thanks.