advanced hard drive power managment

Old August 1st 07, 06:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jush

Default advanced hard drive power managment

I have multiple hard drives. Does Vista have some kind of hdd power
management tool where I can turn them off and on while running Vista
Old August 1st 07, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Using advanced Power settings in Control Panel you can have HDDs turn off
after a set period of time of non-use.

Old August 1st 07, 07:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jush

Can I use different settings with each drive and does Vista turn hard drives
completely off. I'm concerned about the noise, heat and power consumption and
whats the minimal time delay for turning hard drive off after non-use? As I
understand when I try to access the hard disk it turns on again. Are you able
to turn this function off. I'm thinking about equivalent to hard on/off like
hot-swap but purely by software

Old August 1st 07, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

As best I can tell it uses the same setting for all drives, however, it only
turns drives off that you are not using it does not turn off ones in use.

Old August 15th 07, 02:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
D.Thomas

how can u disable the power management on ur hard drive cuz my second hd
keeps turning off and on. i want it to stay on.
Old August 15th 07, 01:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

If using the Control Panel set the HDD turn off time in advanced settings to
"NEVER".
Some HDD's especially those designed for RAID systems will spin down to a
lower power use settings when not in use. Check the specs for your drive.