Vista Banter

-   -   USB drives and mapped drive letter conflicts (http://www.vistabanter.com/6325-re-usb-drives-mapped-drive-letter-conflicts.html)

TechDesign September 3rd 06 05:42 AM

USB drives and mapped drive letter conflicts

Happy to report back on my own post...THIS IS FIXED!

Build 5536 fixes this issue. Now, USB drives, and I assume any removeable
media, finds the next "available" drive letter, avoiding mapped drives.

Thank you Microsoft for fixing this headache!

"TechDesign" wrote:

In Windows XP, I always had problems with clients who wanted to use USB
drives in a corporate environment where drives are mapped via scripts to low
drive letters. USB drives always took the next available PHYSICAL drive
letter, even if it was already in use by a mapped drive. You have to manually
go into Drive Management and change the drive letter to get the USB drive to
show up. After that, it will remember the drive letter, but there were no end
to the complaints about the process.

It appears this "problem" still exists in Windows Vista. It was in Beta 2,
and I just loaded up the July CTP hoping it was fixed. I mapped a network
share to E: (my next available drive letter), plugged in a USB drive...AND
THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED!

I can't believe this issue still exists in Vista. I really hope this is just
a fluke in this build, and the issue has been resolved in non-public betas.
It seems such a simple issue for the hardware to check what drive letters are
actually available, or if mapped drives exists, to pop a prompt asking what
drive letter you want.

PLEASE look into this issue, as it does cause a lot of trouble in the
corporate world where drives are usually not mapped from Z: backwards, but
from F: on up.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices