Unplug laptop and I get BSOD.

Old September 3rd 06, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Super_Geek

Default Unplug laptop and I get BSOD.

I have a Dell 6400/E1505 laptop with 1.86GHZ core duo processor and when I
unplug the power cord it BSOD's and turns off. I can then turn it on on
battery, and it runs fine on battery, plug it in and its fine, unplug it
again and I get the same BSOD!

I've figured out that if I turn off 'Intel Speedstep' in the system BIOS it
works but I don't really want to leave it like this because battery life is
MUCH worse, like 2.5 hours instead of 4.5

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps is there some sort of a speedstep
driver that is needed for vista? I'm running RC1 Build 5600 but it did it in
build 5536 also!

Old September 4th 06, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Super_Geek

Interesting, I just tried it in single core mode with speedstep still on and
it does not do it, so that means it is the combination of Dual Core AND
Speedstep on at the same time BSOD's because it doesn't do it when you turn
off one of those features in the BIOS. Obviously it is not acceptable to run
in single core mode as I paid $1000 to have dual core, but it could lead to a
fix. Any ideas now?

I know that Core Duo introduces a technology that allows the two cores to
run in two different power modes at the same time, perhaps vista only knows
how to manage one? It works fine in XP, weird

Old September 4th 06, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

I have absolullly no idea if you need a fiz fom MS or from Inel ut at leas
it appears that one one of then has a but tha needs to be fixed.

Old September 4th 06, 03:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Super_Geek

OK, I have made an error report to Microsoft and I really doubt Intel will
care being that vista is still beta. Back to xp again

Old September 4th 06, 06:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Super_Geek

As it is a Dell laptop it is Dell bios, however yes it is updated to the
latest A08 BIOS. I just went back to XP its not very good anymore, I guess
i'll just turn speedstep off because I won't be going on any trips for a long
time so won't need good battery life

Sure hope this bug gets fixed!