Problems With Keyboard Input on Toshiba Satellite Pro A100-255 Lap

Old September 3rd 06, 11:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
raid517

Default Problems With Keyboard Input on Toshiba Satellite Pro A100-255 Lap

Hi I have a new Toshiba Satellite Pro A100-255 laptop computer and as a
journalist I obviously do a lot of typing. I am really quite a reasonable
typist with a typing speed of up to 60 words per minute with a fairly low
error rate. In any case I have found that when using this system with RC1
2600 and typing reports and so on, that the cursor will often inexplicably
leap to random parts of the page - such as for example I may be typing a
sentence and towards the middle of it the cursor will jump onto the the
second previous line, or the third - or it may just jump to the start of the
first line, or the beginning of the line I am typing, or even just back to
the beginning, or middle (or indeed any random point) of the word that I am
typing at that time. (I have only really tested this in Windows Mail and in
Internet Explorer so far in forum posts - as I still have Windows XP
installed which is where I do most of my typing for my job. (Windows XP does
not show this fault at all BTW, which would therefore pretty much eliminate
any kind of hardware fault).

I also tried a number of other USB keyboards which I plugged into this
system (3 in total) and they all had more or less similar errors. Some even
printed numbers and symbols in place of where letters and characters should
be, despite the fact that my keyboard layout and language bar is definitely
100% (triple checked) set to UK British English.

I am now really very worried that this late in the day it will not be
possible to get this fixed in time before Vista gold is released -
particularly as I had planned to buy it at the earliest possible opportunity.
(Well in actual fact I had planned to buy it for the office where I work too,
to assess whether it could be installed on the 70 or so machines we have
there too). It seems that there are still many bugs with Vista and that it it
is possible that it may be released before it is genuinely ready.