Vista with an HP5pse SCSI scanner

Old August 12th 07, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Default Vista with an HP5pse SCSI scanner

Hugh,

I am assuming through all of this that the scanner should not be
attached to the computer?

Also when I bring up Paperport I do not see the WIA driver as a
choice. What did you do to be able to see the driver?

Thanks,

Oldman

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 17:42:01 -0400, huwyngr
wrote:

I gave up using Paperport ages ago but I still use a later version of
OmniPage -- version 14 I think.

Where are you coming from on this -- just trying to add Deskscan 2.9 to
a machine that works with Paperport?

WIA (which does not work under VISTA as it did under XP hence your
problems in getting the scanner working) is a communication protocol,
as I understand it, and so is TWAIN, so both should not be tried at the
same time.

What you can try to see if it helps is to disable WIA which I think I
already indicated how to do. Administrative tools / Services / Find
Window Image Acquisition (WIA) and double click on it and change to
Disabled in the drop list.

Then reboot and see what happens.

I am under the impression that once you get the scanner working you can
re-enable WIA since I see that my VISTA that I am in now has WIA on
Automatic again.

As I said earlier, for me when I get Deskscan working under XP and
under VISTA it adds Scan to or Acquire image to MS WORD and to
Irfanview which are two programs that I use and know what happens to. I
don't any longer know how Paperport works but someone here may know or
you could ask them?

PS A quick look at their support pages indicates that their remedy for
one WIA problem they mention (but with WIndows ME) is to use the
"Official TWAIN driver for the scanner" .....

Old August 13th 07, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Hugh,

Here is the latest. Yesterday I finally got the Deskscan 2.9 to work.
It is one terrible piece of software. Very limited. Now for the next
challenge/question. You are able to see the WIA driver when you bring
up your system in both Vista and XP. I can see WIA on my XP system
there has to be a way to get to what is Microsoft's generic WIA
driver.

My goal is to get WIA on the Vista machine so that with Paperport 11 I
am able to do everything I do on the XP system as far as scanning
goes.

I am baffled that a generic driver come up on your Vista system but
not on mine.

If anyone else follows this threat and has solved this problem please
post the detailed steps you followed to get WIA to load with
Paperport.

Thanks,

Oldman

Old August 16th 07, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Does anyone know if the Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5pse is 16 or 32 bit
device?

This could be my problem as to why it will not be seen by Paperport.

Thanks

oldman

Old August 16th 07, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , Oldman wrote:

Tried the use the delete key. *It will not work. *also tried to drag
to the recycle bin and that does not work either.

Sorry but I can't help you then -- I've never encountered that.

Someone else will have to help you with, perhaps, questions of
permissions which I know very little about.

Old August 16th 07, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , wrote:

The only scan choice is Deskscan 2.9.

That's what I've been telling you -- how to get Deskscan 2.9 to work
under VISTA.

WIA is different and has its own method of talking with devices.

Old August 16th 07, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , wrote:

I am assuming through all of this that the scanner should not be
attached to the computer?

That is true normally with USB devices. With a scsi device it may be
different -- mine was attached and the scsi controller is detected
during bootup before Windows exists.

Old August 16th 07, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , wrote:

Does anyone know if the Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5pse is 16 or 32 bit
device?

The original HP-labeled scsi controller card for it was 8 bit which is
probably why there were problems under NT onwards. But I'm not an
expert on all this.

You are not using a 64 bit VISTA are you?

Old August 16th 07, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:24:59 -0400, huwyngr
wrote:

In article , wrote:

Does anyone know if the Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5pse is 16 or 32 bit
device?

The original HP-labeled scsi controller card for it was 8 bit which is
probably why there were problems under NT onwards. But I'm not an
expert on all this.

You are not using a 64 bit VISTA are you?

No 32 bit. I am not totally nuts.

I have an LSI Logic PCI card on my XP system and the scanner with
Paperport works like a charm. The same LSI card is in the Vista
machine. Vista recognizes the card and installs perfectly. On the Xp
system I use WIA: Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 5p as the scanner and
everything works. On the Vista box you only see Deskscan 2.9. The WIA
never appears.

Thanks,

oldman
Old August 16th 07, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

wrote:

In article , wrote:

I am assuming through all of this that the scanner should not be
attached to the computer?

That is true normally with USB devices. With a scsi device it may be
different -- mine was attached and the scsi controller is detected
during bootup before Windows exists.

During the setup I only had the LSI SCSI card installed. After the
card was recognized I shut down and then connected the scanner. When
I opened Paperport the only device available was the Deskscan 2.9. No
other choices. I guess when I get a new all in 1 printer the scanner
will be dumped.

I am looking at a Samsung scx-4725fn model.

oldman

Old August 16th 07, 11:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , wrote:

*When
I opened Paperport the only device available was the Deskscan 2.9.

That is the only device that is there so far as VISTA is concerned. I
find it does everything I need and the Copy Utility is first class --
better than I've had on many office copiers.

If you have the space I would recommend a printer and a scanner rather
than an all-in-one.