Vista with an HP5pse SCSI scanner

Old August 3rd 07, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Default Vista with an HP5pse SCSI scanner

Does anyone know if an old SCSI HP5pse scanner will work with Vista?
If you have found upgraded drivers to accomplish this please post.

TIA
Old August 3rd 07, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Probably not, HP aren't going to write any drivers.

IF you can find a SCSI driver and IF you are using Vista 32 bit, the XP
drivers MIGHT work.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...18 27&lang=en
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old August 3rd 07, 10:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , wrote:

Does anyone know if an old SCSI HP5pse scanner will work with Vista?

Sorry to contradict Cari g but that is what I'm using and it works
fine -- provided you set it up correctly!

You won't find updated drivers for it but I found out back in Windows
2000 days that the early HP Deskscan 2.9 works fine. If that is not
what you have (perhaps you have a later software package and even back
in WIN98 days, when I was on Team HP on Compuserve, we recommended
Deskscan 2.9 which you can download from HP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?
docname=bps02993&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R10 02_USEN

What scsi card are you using -- if it's the original HP supplied one
then you may have a problem since it was 8-bit and I'm fairly sure that
hardware does not work under VISTA but I may be wrong.

I'm using an Adaptec 19160 scsi card which I bought way back because I
had scsi hard drives etc and that card not only worked for them but
also had the right external connector to match the cable from the SJ5P
Scanner.

Let me know what scsi card you have, and what version of VISTA you are
using (did it come with the PC or is it an upgrade you have applied? If
so clean or as an upgrade?

Look forward to hearing from you -- please do not try anything before I
give you the detailed instructions because the instructions they give
for XP will not work under VISTA.

Old August 4th 07, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Just read your note. I just tried the following today:
1-Installed my LSI Logic SCSI card Vista recognized and
installed no problem
2-Connected my HP5pse to the LSI card
3-Rebooted my system and Vista tried to install the driver for
the scanner. None was found. The install then was terminated.
4-Reconnected my scanner to my XP system.
I have Paperport installed on the Vista system but since my scanner is
not available I am stuck.

I went to the link in your note but was unable to find anything to
pull down. On my Xp system the scanner works fine. Could you please
post detail instruction. Since I have the scanner working on the Xp
box the drives might be there already and i do not know what to look
for or where to look.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Oldman

Old August 5th 07, 07:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
oldman

Hugh have you or anyone tried copying the appropriate hp scanjet 5p
scanner 5p drivers from an XP system into the appropriate folders of a
Vista system? In an XP system I looked in device manager for the
scanner for device drivers installed. They appear in the following
folders:
System32
System32/Drivers.
So far I have copied a total of 18 files to a temporary folder. In
the small s32 folder I have copies of all of the files that begin with
hps there are eight files. Also in this folder are all of the files
that begin with WIA which I believe are the files for the twain driver
used by Paperport.

In the XP folder System32\drivers there were two files beginning with
SCSI.

My SCSI controller is a LSI Logic 53C875/53C876. As stated in the note
below this was recognized and installed when I placed it in the Vista
box.

Thanks,

Old August 5th 07, 10:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

Copy does not work in Windows -- you have to install.

You have three different things to set up: the scsi card which you seem
to have done, the installation of the Scanning software and the
installation of the scanner itself.

You need to do all three and in that order.

Next step is to download the Deskscan 2.9 softwa

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h...lang=en&h_cc=u
s&h_product=sj5ppc

use the Save option, note where it saves it to so you can find it again
and do not try to install it until I come back with instructions.

But check and see if you have a copy of:

sj166en.exe 1/1 (4.65M)

on your hard drive in which case you need not download since that is
Deskscn 2.9.

Make sure your scanner is not connected to the PC.

Check in Control Panel / Uninstall and see if there are any references
to HP scanning or copying software. If there are Uninstall them. Look
in Control Panel / Fax and Scan and delete any icons for scanning or
faxing.

Then stop and let me know where you are at so I can get together the
actual installation instructions.

Old August 6th 07, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

Ok here is where I am right now:

The scanner is connected to my XP system not the Vista system,
The scanners and cameras box in Control Panel is empty,
The HP Scanners open icon shows no HP Scanners present,

Old August 6th 07, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
[email protected]

This was uploaded too soon more on where i am now:

Unistallled Deskscan 2.9
Just redownloaded Deskscan 2.9.
In your last sentence you say delete any icons for scanning or faxing.
Do you mean the main icon for HP Scanners and the main icon for
Scanners and Cameras?

If these two icons remain then i am ready for your detailed
instructions.

Thanks,

Old August 6th 07, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , wrote:

The scanner is connected to my XP system not the Vista system,*
The scanners and cameras box in Control Panel is empty,

Very few scanners work over a network so you re probably behind the 8
ball there.

I only know how to make it work direct in XP or direct in VISTA.

Old August 6th 07, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
huwyngr

In article , wrote:

Do you mean the main icon for HP Scanners and the main icon for
Scanners and Cameras? *

Yes -- and any HP software must be uninstalled.

You may want to play safe by disabling Administrative Tools / Services
/ Windows Image Acquisition (I thinnk that is where it is but I'm not
in VISTA at the moment) at least until you have the scanner working.

Hope it works for you -- please let us know. If it does not then I
won't be able to help for a few days since I'll be off-line.