Old May 21st 08, 11:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_maintenance
Russell Jesson

Default svchost 100% CPU and Possible windows update problems

Vista Basic Machine started running very slowly and when I looked in Task
Manager svchost.exe was using a 100% CPU. Using system internals process
explorer it’s the network service containing crytsvc, dnscach, KtmRm, NlaSvc,
Tapisrv and Termservice.

Looking inside the thread that is using the CPU is ntdll.dll

I’ve ran all virus and spyware checkers I can and all show no problems. I’ve
booted in safe mode and cleared all the softwaredistribution folder. The slow
running does not affect safe mode but as the service is not started no great
surprise. Windows Update doesn't work in safe mode either, thanks Microsoft.

I tried to update AVG virus checker but it wanted KB929547 applied so I
downloaded it and tried to run but after several hours all I got was install
failed with 0x800706bb

Any ideas??