Install UPS (uninterruptable power supply) in Vista

Old August 4th 07, 09:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AlecR

Default Install UPS (uninterruptable power supply) in Vista

Hi All,

I am trying to install my UPS in Vista Ultimate. It connects to the com port
to monitor the power and configure shut down options.
..
In XP I could configure it in Control Panel/Power options.

I've searched Vista and can't find where to configure it.

Any suggestions welcome.

Regards
Old August 4th 07, 10:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

I don't believe Vista support serial port UPSes, only USB port UPSes.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

.

Old August 4th 07, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael

Vista will not use a com port for a UPS. (XP would)
You will need to get a UPS that uses USB.
(been there done that grrrr.)

Michael

Old August 4th 07, 04:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

The UPS will still work till the battery runs down. You just can't control
the options. In fact, you don't even need to connect the parallel cable at
all.

I have the same problem. I will live with it till it goes bad and needs to
be replaced.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Old August 4th 07, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
AlecR

Has anyone tried one of those cables that coverts serial to usb. If this is
plugged into a USB port, would Vista recognise the UPS as being connected to
USB?

Old August 5th 07, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael

Tried that with a geek squad UPS from Best buy, did not work for me.
Appeared to make the USB port on the computer look like a serial port rather
that make the serial port on the UPS look like a USB port.

Michael

news

Old August 5th 07, 06:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
koze

No you have to install the drivers for those (convertor) cables and then you
do have a serial port which can be addressed.
Ko

"AlecR" schreef in bericht
news

Old August 5th 07, 10:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

All the USB to Serial converter does is create a new serial port - which
Vista still will not support for plugging the UPS into. So no, it won't
work.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/

news

Old August 6th 07, 01:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_4_]

"Michael" wrote in message
news
Vista will not use a com port for a UPS. (XP would)
You will need to get a UPS that uses USB.
(been there done that grrrr.)

Michael

Not necessarily true.
My Vista 64 installation recognizes my APC Smart-UPS 1400,
which uses a serial port, via the APC software just fine.