Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

Old July 25th 08, 07:13 PM
knaveofhearts knaveofhearts is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Do this then try takeown again:
attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
I found this comment useful but (small point) the "del" doesn't belong. It should say:
attrib -r -a -s -h [drive:][path][filename]

Also, in my case at least, I was able to delete the stubborn file immediately after the above command, without having to invoke takeown again.

KoH
Old November 3rd 10, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Mihaela Roata

Default Get a access denied trying to change the attribute with attrib.

Hy. I runned into that damn problem too. And after days of searching I finally found this softwa Long Path Tool.
It's GREAT. You can find it he http://www.longpathtool.com/
Regards.

On Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:24 AM jef wrote:

I have an mpeg file on my local hard drive that I cannot delete. My account
is an administrator account, running under vista ultimate. When I look at the
file properties I see that the ownership is unassigned (unable to display
current owner), but when I attempt to take ownership, windows security
reports "Unable to set new owner on [filename]. Access is denied."

Can anyone recommend steps to delete this file?

On Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:46 AM dean-dean wrote:

Try this. Right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator.
Type the following command, and then press
ENTER:

takeown /f Path_And_File_Name

For example, type:
takeown /f C:\Users\You\Downloads\unwanted.mp3

Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant
administrators full access to the file:

icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

For example, type:
icacls C:\Users\You\Downloads\unwanted.mp3 /grant administrators:F

Then try to delete unwanted.mp3.

If that doesn't work, try to delete the file in Safe Mode.

"jeff" wrote in message

On Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:11 PM Njetspam wrote:

jeff wrote:
Played the mpeg with vista mediaplayer ? take and install vlc-player
do not use mediaplayer it kinda sucks

On Saturday, August 04, 2007 12:14 PM Richard Urban wrote:

I ran into a 3 gig file just yesterday that was seemingly impossible to
delete. I tried everything.

I then ran chkdsk g: /f (fix option) on the partition. I was then able to
delete the file (it had apparently become corrupted).

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"jeff" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 27, 2008 4:32 PM gdoran wrote:

What can you do if takeown is getting 'access denied" when trying to
take ownership?

--
gdoran

On Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:19 PM Bob wrote:

How are you running takeown?
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"gdoran" wrote in message

On Thursday, March 27, 2008 6:37 PM gdoran wrote:

takedown /f foldername /r. Get Sucess: the fodler foldername is now
owned by domainname\gdoran. Then get Info: access is denied
foldername\filename. Filename is set to read-only, can't seem to unset
it.

--
gdoran

"gdoran" wrote in message

On Friday, March 28, 2008 12:23 PM gdoran wrote:

Get a access denied trying to change the attribute with attrib.

--
gdoran

On Friday, March 28, 2008 2:18 PM Bob wrote:

Run the command from an Administrator Command prompt.

Styling the WPF ScrollViewer
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ollviewer.aspx