Vista Banter

-   Windows Vista File Management (http://www.vistabanter.com/windows-vista-file-management/)
-   -   Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator (http://www.vistabanter.com/63758-cant-delete-file-access-denied-administrator.html)

Jeff August 4th 07 03:24 PM

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

I have an mpeg file on my local hard drive that I cannot delete. My account
is an administrator account, running under vista ultimate. When I look at the
file properties I see that the ownership is unassigned (unable to display
current owner), but when I attempt to take ownership, windows security
reports "Unable to set new owner on [filename]. Access is denied."

Can anyone recommend steps to delete this file?

dean-dean August 4th 07 03:46 PM

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

Try this. Right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run as Administrator.
Type the following command, and then press
ENTER:

takeown /f Path_And_File_Name

For example, type:
takeown /f C:\Users\You\Downloads\unwanted.mp3

Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant
administrators full access to the file:

icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

For example, type:
icacls C:\Users\You\Downloads\unwanted.mp3 /grant administrators:F

Then try to delete unwanted.mp3.

If that doesn't work, try to delete the file in Safe Mode.

NjetSpam August 4th 07 04:11 PM

jeff wrote:
I have an mpeg file on my local hard drive that I cannot delete. My account
is an administrator account, running under vista ultimate. When I look at the
file properties I see that the ownership is unassigned (unable to display
current owner), but when I attempt to take ownership, windows security
reports "Unable to set new owner on [filename]. Access is denied."

Can anyone recommend steps to delete this file?

Played the mpeg with vista mediaplayer ? take and install vlc-player :)
do not use mediaplayer it kinda sucks :D

Richard Urban August 4th 07 04:14 PM

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

I ran into a 3 gig file just yesterday that was seemingly impossible to
delete. I tried everything.

I then ran chkdsk g: /f (fix option) on the partition. I was then able to
delete the file (it had apparently become corrupted).

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

gdoran March 27th 08 07:32 PM

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

What can you do if takeown is getting 'access denied" when trying to
take ownership?

--
gdoran

Bob March 27th 08 09:19 PM

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

How are you running takeown?
-------
*Report back, please*
[When responding to posts, please include the post(s) you are replying to so
that others may learn and benefit from the issue]

[How to ask a question]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

gdoran[_2_] March 27th 08 09:37 PM

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

takedown /f foldername /r. Get Sucess: the fodler foldername is now
owned by domainname\gdoran. Then get Info: access is denied
foldername\filename. Filename is set to read-only, can't seem to unset
it.

--
gdoran

Bob March 27th 08 11:26 PM

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

Do this then try takeown again:
attrib -r -a -s -h del [drive] path] [filename]
-------

gdoran[_3_] March 28th 08 03:23 PM

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

Get a access denied trying to change the attribute with attrib.

--
gdoran

Bob March 28th 08 05:18 PM

Can't delete a file - Access is denied to Administrator

Run the command from an Administrator Command prompt.