Display settings resetting - RC1

Old September 6th 06, 02:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hank Keleher

Default Display settings resetting - RC1

Thanks for the response!

Yes, I've already been there done that, heheh. In fact every time I reboot
or use an application that mode switches (like the picture viewer in Slide
Show mode for some strange reason) I have to basically go through 16 clicks
start to finish to set the resolution to what I want. You uncheck the "Hide
modes that this monitor cannot display" box and click the adapter tab
followed by List All Modes. Then I can select the resolution to at a higher
setting such as my preferred 1920x1440 @ 60Hz. This happens with or without
the nVidia drivers so I'm not so sure it's pointed in that direction (though
it certainly could be.)

I know some may say "just use the 1600x1200." But that's besides the point,
it's my computer and I want to run it at 1920x1440. Plus, just imagine
going back several resolutions than what you currently use. Not so cool
unless you're one of the few that don't care about desktop space, etc. My
hardware supports it and the OS has supported in the past. I'm not sure why
it's not now. Missing registry keys? It almost seems like the setting is
in read only mode. I can make changes on the fly but those changes
don't/won't hold.

If no one else is having this problem or has an idea what the fix might be
perhaps I simply have a bad install and I should wipe it and start anew.
Seems a little drastic but then again it's still an early release OS and
such is the path chosen by installing. I'm not so worried about it if
that's the fix but it would be a bit troublesome to users in a release OS if
this is a bug.

Unfortunately without the nVidia drivers I don't have the ability to adjust
my AA and AF settings per application (in this case 3D games.) I'm not used
to seeing jagged lines when I play and hate when they return, heheh. This
is a minor deal if I had to refrain from the nVidia drivers and I would
gladly do so to avoid the current problem but I'm not entirely convinced
that's where the trouble lies just yet.

Thanks again!

"Chad Harris" wrote in message
Hank--

1) On Display propertiesDisplay settings (montior)Advanced button at the
bottom when you right click desktop Personalize Settings will any of the
settings on those tabs related to the video card and your monitor
including refresh rate help you?

2) I've also been reading that the Vista drivers are newer than those
provided by Nvidia and ATI for many cards right now on RC1 5600+ and a
couple previous builds.

See

Windows Vista: So Close and Yet So Far

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2010632,00.asp

CH

"Hank Keleher" wrote in message
This is not a problem I've had on any of the previous version of Vista.

Everything I reboot or an application changes the resolution my display
settings are set back to 1600x1200. I have an nVidia 7900 GTX with a
ViewSonic Graphics Series G90fb and I run my display at 1920x1440 @ 60
Hz. It's as if Windows doesn't recognize anything above the default of
1600x1200 (for example the screen savers mode switch to 1600x1200 thus
when I wake the computer out of the screensaver the OS is back to
1600x1200.) I find this to be really annoying. This works fine on my
Windows XP installation and as I mentioned above has worked on all
previous builds of Vista (from beta2 - 5472.)

Mind you this happens with the latest version of nVidia's driver for RC1
(96.33) and rolling back to the original Windows display drivers.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to prevent this or fix the issue?

Thanks!

Old September 6th 06, 04:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hank Keleher

I found a work around just in case anyone else has this problem. I updated
the monitor driver to Digital Flat Panel (1920x1440 60Hz) which is listed
under the generic drivers. I used to use the Nokia 445Xvac driver as that
worked in past OS's when necessary to get higher resolutions. That didn't
work yesterday but the DFP selection does work.

This was one of the more disconcerting issues and now that I at least have
figured it out up to this point I'll work on other areas.

=P