4 Gig or ram- Only showing 3 gig

Old August 27th 07, 04:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jane C

Default 4 Gig or ram- Only showing 3 gig

Hi Rob,

Yes, if DEP is active, then PAE is on. DEP cannot run without PAE being
enabled.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Rob" wrote in message
In the article I read about turning on PAE in a 32 bit OS it said this:

"On a computer that supports hardware-enabled Data Execution Prevention
(DEP) and is running a 32-bit version of the Windows operating system that
supports DEP, PAE is automatically enabled when DEP is enabled and, on all
32-bit versions of the Windows operating system, except Windows Server
2003
with SP1, PAE is disabled when you disable DEP."

My Vista system automaticly turned on DEP when I installed it and it is
running now for "essential windows and programs and services only" does
this
still mean that PAE is enabled and working now on my system?

Old August 29th 07, 06:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
garfield

Issue: ON A COMPUTER THAT HAS 4GB OF RAM, THE SYSTEM PROPERTIES DIALOG BOX IN
WINDOWS VISTA MAY ERPORT LESS MEMORY THT YU EXPECT (LESS THAT 3GB)

Discussion: This problem occurs the address space is limited to 4 GB in a
32-bit hardware environment. Memory may be relocated to make room for
addresses that the basic input/output system (BIOS) reserves for hardware.
However, because of this limitation, windows Vista cannot access memory that
is relocated above the 4 GB boundary.

Solution:
1. Open an elevated command prompt

2. Type BCDEdit/set pae ForceEnable

3. press enter

The PAE parameter enables Physical adress extension (PAE). On 32-bit
versions of Windows, PAE is disabled by default. PAE is an addressing
strategy that uses a page-translation herarchy to enable systems with 32-bit
addressing to address more that 4 GB of physical memory. PAE also supports
several advanced system and processor features, such as Data Execution
Prevention (DEP;"No execute"), Non-Uniform Memory Architecture (NUMA), and
hot-add memory, so it is also used on computers with less than 4 GB of
memory. PAE must be supported by the processor.

On a computer that supports hardware-enabled Data Execution Prevention
(DEP), PAE is automatically enabled when DEP is enabled and automatically
disables when you disable DEP.

To enable PAE when DEP is disabled,you must enable PAE explicitly;

1. Open an elevated Command prompt.

2. Type BCDEdit/set nx AlwaysOff & BCDEdit/set pae ForceEnable

3. press enter

**for more information, check out microsoft KB Article 929605 - The system
memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows vista
is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed.**

"JW" wrote:

If you have not previously read the following KB article it may shed some
light on your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

"GregM" wrote in message
I'm showing 3.50 GB of RAM on a 4GB system.

" wrote:

Hello,
Just read the longest post on this issue with no result so let try
again.
If i have 4 gig, only 3 shows, 750mb is reservered for the system.
Doesn't that seem a little stupid? If i have 3 gig of ram, 3 gig
shows in vista, here it has not needed to reserve 750mb. So why does
the first scenario need 750 for the system, and the second does not?
This would mean that the second does not have any ram for its system,
same devices and os. I would have thought that both situations would
result in having 750 stripped for the system. My old box, XP 256 mb
ram all that was avaliable and did not need dedicated system ram.
Does anyone have a straight answer for this? Yes i could run 64 bit
os, but at the moment i want to get 4 gig running in my 32 bit
environment.

I tried the following switches with no change.
1. Reboot Vista to safe mode with command line
2. Run the command : bcdedit /set PAE ForceEnable
3. Run bcdedit again to verify the switch is added
4. Reboot the system and check whether the problem is fixed

This is from the original post:

http://groups.google.com.au/group/mi...dbc2867738d289

"LOL, I was scratching my head over that one too. By definition, a 32-
bit CPU
can directly address up to 4GB of memory. But apparently nearly 1GB of
that
is reserved for devices. So the most you can possibly see is 3.12GB in
32-bit system. The way I read it, there is no way around it, no "fix"
if
you're using a 32-bit version of Vista.

To see any more than 3.12 GB you have to be using a 64-bit version of
Vista
plus meet all those other requirements (64-bit CPU instruction set,
chipset
with 8GB address space, BIOS that supports memory remapping). That's
the way
I read it anyway.

I think the DEP/ PAE thing is a whole different (but related) issue. "

Old September 11th 07, 10:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Hi. The person who mentioned the 64bit edition I run vista ultimate and after
some research, I found that at best, the 32bit with 4g ram will show 3.5g?
This puzzled me, so after much digging I found that the 64 home basic will
see 4g, home premium is 16g and 64bit ultra, at 32g. I heard the same thing
from other sources. BUT WHY????

Old September 11th 07, 11:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

" wrote in
message ...

Old September 12th 07, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
C Jones

I'm sorry you are experiencing these probs...but I positively know that this
is the solution to your problem... I've done investigation work into this
problem.

When I built this computer from scratch, the motherboard I installed has 4
bays fitted to it which means that each bay can hold up to a maximum of 4 GB
of DDR2 ram, and at the moment, i'm only using just 1 GB but if I installed
4GB ram, and installed Windows Vista H.Premium 32 BIT, Vista would only
report that it can only see 3GB because that's the top memory spec that
microsoft built vista for, (this applies to all versions), if I wanted vista
to report the full amount of memory, even if 6 GB was installed, or 10 GB
installed, it would make much better thinking to put the 64 bit on first and
cover everything, than rather have the 32 bit to cover my first 3 GB, and
upgrade later.

Secondly, if you click on this web site address (or you can use the "Cut &
Paste" option), this site lists how much memory vista can handle per edition
following an upgrade from XP.

Version Limit in 32-bit Windows Limit in
64-bit Windows

Windows Vista Ultimate 4 GB 128 GB
Windows Vista Enterprise 4 GB 128 GB
Windows Vista Business 4 GB 128 GB
Windows Vista Home Premium 4 GB 16 GB
Windows Vista Home Basic 4 GB 8 GB
Windows Vista Starter 1 GB Not
applicable

These Websites, - Explains Everything about vista 64 bit versions and what
they will and will not accept.

1: http://www.start64.com/index.php?opt...tpage&Itemid=1
2:
http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.ph...atibility_List